Personal appeal (update #2)

BuffaloBud

8 May - Just received the news from the DR that the oncology report on the area of skin and lymph nodes removed is all negative. <_< No signs of Mr. Ugly. <_< Staples (17 of them) come out in 3 weeks. Just call me Zippy. Thanks to all for the good thoughts. :unsure:

Guys and gals, we've all kidded around about going to the doctor for the annual physical (or some that do not go). I'm writing this to all of you to make sure that you and your loved ones go and get a once over. It is important. I can say this because of what I found out yesterday. I have melanoma. 63,000 people are found with this each year, 8,000 die from it each year.

Here's my story. After some (understatement) prodding from my wife, I got an annual physical last Nov. The doctor did a once over for unusual moles and noticed one that he said that I should see a dermatologist about. After some prodding again from wifey, I did just that. The mole in question turned out to be melanoma of which the oncologist confirmed yesterday. The site is classified as a Stage 2A tumor (over 1mm deep, mine measured 1.1mm). This "mole" had been with me for as long as I can remember. This area has to be excised (2cm on each side), plus I have to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy. The lymph node biopsy is to check to see if there is any cancer cells in the lymph node site where this specific "mole" would spread from. Surgery is for the end of the month. I am very positive about this and have no underlying fears or nerves.

Why am I writing this? Because I have one request to each of you. I want each and everyone of you to get a physical this year, whether you like it or not. And make sure that your immediate family gets one as well. Also, take care of yourself. I feel that because I get 1HR of physical activity each day, eat pretty well, don't smoke, basically live a balanced life I should do just fine.

In the end, I want all of us someday to see a Buffalo Bill on the top of a podium holding a Super Bowl trophy. So make the appointment.

I had a patch of skin cancer taken off my nose two weeks ago. It looked like hell for a while but at least now women and children dont run from the room. I have to go back for a re-check in a month

Guys and gals, we've all kidded around about going to the doctor for the annual physical (or some that do not go). I'm writing this to all of you to make sure that you and your loved ones go and get a once over. It is important. I can say this because of what I found out yesterday. I have melanoma. 63,000 people are found with this each year, 8,000 die from it each year.

Here's my story. After some (understatement) prodding from my wife, I got an annual physical last Nov. The doctor did a once over for unusual moles and noticed one that he said that I should see a dermatologist about. After some prodding again from wifey, I did just that. The mole in question turned out to be melanoma of which the oncologist confirmed yesterday. The site is classified as a Stage 2A tumor (over 1mm deep, mine measured 1.1mm). This "mole" had been with me for as long as I can remember. This area has to be excised (2cm on each side), plus I have to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy. The lymph node biopsy is to check to see if there is any cancer cells in the lymph node site where this specific "mole" would spread from. Surgery is for the end of the month. I am very positive about this and have no underlying fears or nerves.

Why am I writing this? Because I have one request to each of you. I want each and everyone of you to get a physical this year, whether you like it or not. And make sure that your immediate family gets one as well. Also, take care of yourself. I feel that because I get 1HR of physical activity each day, eat pretty well, don't smoke, basically live a balanced life I should do just fine.

In the end, I want all of us someday to see a Buffalo Bill on the top of a podium holding a Super Bowl trophy. So make the appointment.

Great PSA, Bud. Best of luck on the surgery. I'm sure everything will be fine. Living in Florida for the last 25 years has been tough on my skin too. I go to the dermatologist every year. I've had stage 1's a couple of times. Having them cut them out is pretty wild. Smelling my skin burn is something I'll never forget. Plus, getting many, many of these " spots" frozen off. Again best of luck Bud. Keep us posted. <_<

Good luck! I have a great doctor that I see twice per year. Mainly for cholesterol but I also have a minor heart defect (some of you would say no heart at all <_< ) that he likes to monitor. Kudos to your wife. My doctor tells me a person's significant other is the perfect person to notice any changes like that.

Smelling my skin burn

I forgot about that, I about puked. I understand better now what WW2 vets mean about that smell on a battlefield.

When the Doctor was cuting and doing his surgery thingy, which was just bellow my chin upper chest area. He had on one of those clear deflector sheilds on. In the reflection, I could see him do the whole proceure. Freaking wild watching him cut, splice, burn and stitch.

When the Doctor was cuting and doing his surgery thingy, which was just bellow my chin upper chest area. He had on one of those clear deflector sheilds on. In the reflection, I could see him do the whole proceure. Freaking wild watching him cut, splice, burn and stitch.

I'm sure that wasn't the only thing on your chin.

Seriously good luck to BB. And I've been getting physicals pretty much yearly ever since I was in the Corps. When I switched to a civ doc, he pretty much gave me a physical if I went in for anything else. He always takes blood for PSA check.

All right, I'll admit I'm not 100% sure here of what I say. But my wife works for a dermatologist and gives me stories all the time........not that I listen.

Don't you have to have the mole removed and biopsied to confirm you have melanoma? Ie: I just had a patch removed a couple months ago, and I had to wait for the results to confirm basil cell melanoma, which were negative thankfully.

I know what the rest of you are saying too about burning flesh, great smell

Since we have a medical thread going ! I had a heart attack one week ago ! My main artery was 95% blocked, had a stent put in. Watch your cholesterol folks and exercise !

Holy Crap! Best of luck man take care of yourself. I have heart disease in my family but I try my best to semi eat right. I workout 4 days a week and do some cardio twice. Its always in the back of my mind. Good Luck.

Holy Crap! Best of luck man take care of yourself. I have heart disease in my family but I try my best to semi eat right. I workout 4 days a week and do some cardio twice. Its always in the back of my mind. Good Luck.

Thanks dude ! I am taking better care now ! Watching the carbs, and fat intake !

• 2 weeks later...