Another topic shelved at Owners meeting:

ala NHL.

Today in Peter King's Tuesday edition of MMQB, (couldn't get a good linky to utilize) he confirms the league is talking about it but couldn't do it this year due to stadium availabilities. It would energize division games and likely do away with teams sitting stars when their playoff picture is complete.

I think it's a great idea! Say -just as a for instance- the Bills are barely hanging on to a possible playoff birth in early December. 3 straight games vs. division & conference foes is all you could ask for. Typically, few division games are played after Thanksgiving -per PK. That's gotta change. King says you can count on it in the near future.

Thoughts?

I can see why this may not work early in the year, i.e. Miami, Oakland, Minnesota etc. sharing stadiums...but why couldn't this work in December? :w00t:

Maybe the stadiums already have special events planned that the NFL knows about.

ala NHL.

Today in Peter King's Tuesday edition of MMQB, (couldn't get a good linky to utilize) he confirms the league is talking about it but couldn't do it this year due to stadium availabilities. It would energize division games and likely do away with teams sitting stars when their playoff picture is complete.

I think it's a great idea! Say -just as a for instance- the Bills are barely hanging on to a possible playoff birth in early December. 3 straight games vs. division & conference foes is all you could ask for. Typically, few division games are played after Thanksgiving -per PK. That's gotta change. King says you can count on it in the near future.

Thoughts?

Sounds good - MLB was wrong IMO, years ago when they went away from division rivals playing out the last 20 games or so amongst themselves. I forget exactly when they changed...I haven't attended or watched a MLB game since the end of the '90 season and the sell-off of the Pirates. :w00t:

I personally like the idea, but I think the TV networks would try to crush it in favor of ratings and hype. Greedy bastards.

Umm...late-season division games with playoff implications reek of ratings and hype. :w00t:

You think the Pats would stand for not having their bye week until the 14th week of the regular season? Or would they change the rule that the Bills have to play them when they are coming off a bye?

Right... All stacked right on top of each other...

It's not rocket science, man. There are plenty of games to drive ratings and feed hype all season long. Besides, the networks have the ability to shift things around at the end of the season regardless. This should be a no-brainer.

It's not rocket science, man. There are plenty of games to drive ratings and feed hype all season long. Besides, the networks have the ability to shift things around at the end of the season regardless. This should be a no-brainer.

Agreed. I think the networks would a field day come December 7th or so, picking great games to move to prime time, etc.

This is what you got for Prime Time matchups last season during week 15:

Thursday Night - Denver/ Houston

Saturday Night - Cinci/ SF

Sunday Night - Washington/ NY Giants

Monday Night - Chicago/ Minnesota

Other than the Skins/ Giants game which I believe was flexed, you were fed a bunch of Primetime crap, and you watched it because it was football and it was on the idiot box that night.

Other notable (flex worthy) games that week were:

Dallas/ Philly - Rivalry week, right?

Buffalo/ Cleveland - Wild card implications in a blizzard.

Jacksonville/ Pittsburgh - Two playoff caliber teams.

Spygate Part Two - NE still undefeated and the Mangini/ Bellichik soap opera.

http://www.nfl.com/scores?season=2007&week=Week+15