WGR "Sabres" Radio 550

ET1062

Anyone else ready to bury the hockey season and start talking Bills football? You wouldn't even know we had a team in town or that there is a draft in a few weeks if you listen to the local sports radio station. It is nice to have Brad Riter back on WECK 1230 AM from 6-9 PM. He always had great draft coverage at GR.

About the last week I ever listenend to WGR was around the time they canned Riter. (This isn't a Riter endorsement. I never went out of my way to listen to Riter, either.) The program director, Roth, was taking calls about programming. Riter kept talking about how some call-in complainer line segment was lame programming. The rest of them, kissasses all--Scoop (or Scope, or whatever; the really annoying one) and Bulldog (sad, he was good once) and Jeremy (the definition of No-Talent) White--wouldn't say anything, leaving their colleague Riter twisting in the wind. The puny-ego program director tried to sound like he was taking it in stride, but he was seething. Soon thereater, Riter was gone.

They were dismal. They were outright depressing to listen to.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody like that friggin Jeremy White. Talks to much, seems to want to take over Howard's show.

Seems to? That show has been taken over. Ever listen to the Simon show promos from the previous day? It is always Jeremy ranting about something with Howard playing the straight guy. Rarely is the promo a discussion that Howard started.

P.S. WGR, we know you are reading. The draft is in two weeks, get to work!!!!

No one anywhere outside of about 6 major cities talks about baseball.
Seven different teams in seven different cities in seven different states have won the World Series since 2000. Would you care to amend your "6 major cities" statement or would you like to just continue being wrong based on what the Pirates have been doing? <_<
In Pittsburgh, the only reason people attend games is because PNC park is the biggest city park in Western PA. PNC is a novelty in itself. Most of the people there could care less about the game. Then, instead of using money to spend on payroll, the Pirates shove about 400 fireworks nights, 250 bobblehead nights, 125 rock concerts and 50 Bill Mazeroski appearances to draw even more fans who don't care about the game.
So your proof that baseball is "going away" is Pittsburgh where the Pirates haven't had a winning record in 15 years and where the Steelers are perennial contenders and the Penguins have two of the best young players in the game?

Probably not the best idea to base your analysis on one data point anyway.

Baseball is slowly going away.
Yes, based on those attendance records both the major and minor leagues keep setting. <_<<_<:bag:

Most people in western PA couldn't name the Pirates starters. And if the two all sports AM radio stations could talk Steelers and Penguins 24/7, nobody would ever call about baseball.

PNC Park is beautiful. Too bad it's like Pittsburgh's best nightclub instead of a baseball stadium.

More Pittsburgh stuff. Still not relevant.

And you can add about 15 other baseball cities to this list across America. No one cares outside of NY, Boston, Chicago, LA and maybe Detroit.
Name them.

Who's Mama Pecararo? I used to know a girl in grammer school with that last name.

4 years without tears...and a hundred miles of smiles...

Thats the WOW warranty, the without worry warranty at

RIVERFRONT AUTO SALES....

Dude...if you don't know who Mama Pecararo is, you must never listen to WGR....that commercial is on in some form at least 6 times an hour...

A lot of this has to come back to the people of Buffalo. There are a lot of boring people here. They like talking about the same things all them time. In fact, I think some would rather just be miserable and whine about how bad things are, then actually have our teams whine.

And as much as I dislike some of the hosts on GR, they are doing what gets them ratings. Jerry Sullivan loves hoops and wants to talk about them. However, people here don't want to talk about it. GR has a monopoly and until that changes, the format will remain the same.

A lot of this has to come back to the people of Buffalo. There are a lot of boring people here. They like talking about the same things all them time. In fact, I think some would rather just be miserable and whine about how bad things are, then actually have our teams whine.

And as much as I dislike some of the hosts on GR, they are doing what gets them ratings. Jerry Sullivan loves hoops and wants to talk about them. However, people here don't want to talk about it. GR has a monopoly and until that changes, the format will remain the same.

You might take some heat for that post, but I agree. You're right about the ratings, too. I don't have access to the complete numbers, but their latest 12+ was ahead of this time last year....

This is the point exactly. The morning show format is more about entertainment and perhaps shock value than anything else. It's JMO, but listeners respond (i.e. give high ratings) to stations which have the Schopp/White personality who rips everyone and barely allows them a sentence before throwing them off-air.

Locally, the sports world is the Bills and Sabres. Nothing else really figures into the picture and it's what we've got to live with. I honestly believe Schopp knows nothing about football and his tendency to find minutiae about the Sabres becomes tired real fast. At the same time, if I put myself into Schopp's shoes, I'd struggle to find topics for the day simply because the sports universe locally is quite limited.

Anyone else ready to bury the hockey season and start talking Bills football? You wouldn't even know we had a team in town or that there is a draft in a few weeks if you listen to the local sports radio station. It is nice to have Brad Riter back on WECK 1230 AM from 6-9 PM. He always had great draft coverage at GR.

Well it's just the draft.

I really don't get excited about a draft.

And besides there is more to talk about right now with the Sabres.

To my mind hockey is a far more interesting sport.

Be aware that wgr does the Sabres broadcasts and doesn't do the Bills broadcasts.

Then beyond that wrg has got to have the worst line up of hosts possible.

Especially Howard Simon and the morning crew.

Those twerps on wrg sound like they're 40 year olds with the mentalities of 14 year olds.

And Brad Riter , they should change his name to Brad Retard.

Just turn that all sh*t off is my advice to you.

You'll be happier for it.

I have said it before...I think everyone would agree that GR55 has some problems.

I am sure there are more than a few people here that live in cities outside of Buffalo. Is there any local sports talk radio hosts that are that great? I have yet to hear any, after living in Buffalo, Baltimore, Atlanta, New York City, and now, Austin.

Local guys are on the air, to talk about whatever the hottest ticket is in their local market. It just happens to be the Sabres and Bills in Buffalo. Why is that hard to fathom? If you listen to the nationally syndincated sports talk shows, you mostly hear about teams that most of us here despise (you know, the Cowboys, Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Tiger Woods, etc etc)...it is the same thing, only on a national level. Forget about hearing anything about the NHL. Outside of ESPN radio from time to time, you would be lucky to hear which NHL teams lost on any given night. On FOX, they normally just rattle off the 5 or 6 teams that won that night, never mentioning a score, or who lost.

It is apparent to me, the problem most of us really have, is that sports aren't really that interesting to talk about, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. There is only so much you can say, and so many spins you can put on something.... Too much of anything, even the things you love, will eventually get old...just look at the TSW....we all came here to talk sports, but, look at all of the other forums that evolved on the Wall...if you ever stumble upon the PPP board, or OFF the Wall, I dare say, you will meet Bills fans there, that rarely post on the main board...but they still love this team...

I have said it before...I think everyone would agree that GR55 has some problems.

I am sure there are more than a few people here that live in cities outside of Buffalo. Is there any local sports talk radio hosts that are that great? I have yet to hear any, after living in Buffalo, Baltimore, Atlanta, New York City, and now, Austin.

Local guys are on the air, to talk about whatever the hottest ticket is in their local market. It just happens to be the Sabres and Bills in Buffalo. Why is that hard to fathom? If you listen to the nationally syndincated sports talk shows, you mostly hear about teams that most of us here despise (you know, the Cowboys, Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Tiger Woods, etc etc)...it is the same thing, only on a national level. Forget about hearing anything about the NHL. Outside of ESPN radio from time to time, you would be lucky to hear which NHL teams lost on any given night. On FOX, they normally just rattle off the 5 or 6 teams that won that night, never mentioning a score, or who lost.

It is apparent to me, the problem most of us really have, is that sports aren't really that interesting to talk about, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. There is only so much you can say, and so many spins you can put on something.... Too much of anything, even the things you love, will eventually get old...just look at the TSW....we all came here to talk sports, but, look at all of the other forums that evolved on the Wall...if you ever stumble upon the PPP board, or OFF the Wall, I dare say, you will meet Bills fans there, that rarely post on the main board...but they still love this team...

I agree.

And I'll add this:

Interest in this forum and others like it drop off because this forum and some others have an entrenched sect that silences contrary opinion and ends up homogenizing opinion.

And reading those small sects nodding thier heads in unison can get stale really fast.

Then when they are wrong and become open to having their previous comments expose them as windbags what happens ?

DELETE the entire season.

That makes for boring debate.

All it ends up being is a charade of weaklings that want desperately to pretend they know what they're talking about.

And they don't .

No one anywhere outside of about 6 major cities talks about baseball. In Pittsburgh, the only reason people attend games is because PNC park is the biggest city park in Western PA. PNC is a novelty in itself. Most of the people there could care less about the game. Then, instead of using money to spend on payroll, the Pirates shove about 400 fireworks nights, 250 bobblehead nights, 125 rock concerts and 50 Bill Mazeroski appearances to draw even more fans who don't care about the game.

Baseball is slowly going away. Most people in western PA couldn't name the Pirates starters. And if the two all sports AM radio stations could talk Steelers and Penguins 24/7, nobody would ever call about baseball.

PNC Park is beautiful. Too bad it's like Pittsburgh's best nightclub instead of a baseball stadium. And you can add about 15 other baseball cities to this list across America. No one cares outside of NY, Boston, Chicago, LA and maybe Detroit.

You've obviously never been to Cleveland, Atlanta or Milwaukee during baseball season . . .

wgr is the biggest joke in local radio!!! their dj's for the majority are a bunch of carpetbaggers " ie..

see hillary"that are just passing thru.. they have no insight ,are usually misquoting sources, and choosing

sources that are so vague or outdated that the info is useless or naive, their obvious "vendetta" style ,,

towards the bills and contempt for their fans ,has lead to loss of market share and listenership ,,IN

SHORT ,,,PAYBACK IS A B word GR!!!!

One of these days I'm going to make my way to the WGR tent at a Bills game and attempt to discuss the condescending garbage that they call radio in an environment where they cannot hang up on me. I would love to hear an honest debate with Jerry Sullivan and Jeremy White when both sides are on a level playing field.

Guys like White and Schoop do really well when arguing with people who call in to their shows, but they'd get eaten alive if they tried to post the same arguments on this board (i.e a level playing field).

Schoop especially has a tendency to only respond to whatever a caller said that he thought was dumb and disregard everything else.

Guys like White and Schoop do really well when arguing with people who call in to their shows, but they'd get eaten alive if they tried to post the same arguments on this board (i.e a level playing field).

Schoop especially has a tendency to only respond to whatever a caller said that he thought was dumb and disregard everything else.

This is no level playing field here.

A small cult controls and censors this forum.

Most other forums too.

You are entitled to your opinion if it agrees with the mod's opinion.

And if you are a contrarian you won't get the opportunity to get to the ...I told you so.

Everything will be deleted.

Most other forums too.

And if you are a contrarian you won't get the opportunity to get to the ...I told you so.

I've been reading alot of your posts since before i joined and you are the most stubborn, egotistical poster. Unless your able to admit when others are right or your wrong, people are going to resent you. That goes for life and this forum or any forum for that matter. Just my opinion feel free to take that however you wish

Most other forums too.

If you don't like it, then make like a tree and get out :thumbsup: