WGR "Sabres" Radio 550

ET1062

The Sabres have been a lot more relevant to the NHL in the past 3 years than the Bills have been to the NFL in the last 10 years. So I don't mind the extra hockey talk.

What I do mind is how just about every WGR host will defend Sabres management to the death. They basically haven't done anything right in two years but they don't deserve any criticism from the "stupid callers"? :w00t:

Agreed I don't mind rehashing the season,but its almost like a point of view is decided on 95% of the time is pro mgmt and your belittled for going against it. Anyone remember there adds a couple years ago relating to the Bills "When your tired of the company line" they have become eveything they hated. I listen to Brad and call when I can I hope they lose Miller and get local competition for The B word and Bulldog" Shopp has killed Bulldog not even close to the same guy anymore.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad Buffalo sports fans aren't as critical of the local politicians (who they can actually do something about)...

This is a sports commenting site,can you pass on a political site that you frequent so we all can do our due diligence in that forum.

But you can find a pro team in Toronto, northern Ohio, western PA, and NYC for lots of different sports leagues. The "problem" is that Buffalonians, by and large, like their contact sports: football in the fall, hockey in the winter, lacrosse in the spring. They also realize that baseball has the same entertainment value as watching soccer or golf. If it wasn't for baseball's historical tradition, no one in modern American society would still be talking about this lame sport.

So baseball's "historical tradition" is why MLB and the minor leagues keep setting attendance records year after year? <_<<_<<_<

I hate to tell you...but they are one in the same. Quinn is the one who controls all of the money for the Erie Canal Project and the Harbor Front. Don't you think that is a conflict of interest considering he is part owner of the arena and the Sabres? Quinn was actually the head of the Buffalo Economic Development Agency under Jimmy Griffin in the late 70's.....Quinn's M/O is that he takes public money, contracts out to buddies, F's up a project so bad that it never makes money, leaves town for 5-10 years, then returns to repeat the cycle.

He is all about making money for himself and his cronies, and if it happens to luck into doing something positive for the community...then great.

Downtown is going to take 20 years to renew.....if we get the rat bastard out of the arena, the team might have a chance to succeed again in 2 years.

Buffalo, NY, must be the only place in the world where Larry Quinn could be considered a successful businessman. After a few decades of having a sucess rate of 0%, you'd think people might catch on to the fact that he's essentially a con man. Lucky for him, he has several hours of local radio each day dedicated to defending him.

But, he's really done a lot for the area. <_<

Baseball should be huge in Buffalo. Toronto is 90 minutes away, and there are two incredible stadiums just 3.5 hours away in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Every Mets and Yankees game is on TV and those stadiums are just a roadtrip away as well.

NFL draft talk is fairly boring when you realize that no one in the world really knows what they're talking about.

I used to go to Jays games all the time. At least up until the last strike. That, coupled with the cash disparity, was kind of the last straw and lost interest. However, do a lot of Western New York people go to Jay games??

There is only room in my life for one Buffalo team to make me depressed.

Bring on the Bills talk!

F- Mama Pecararo!

Here here! F-Mama Pecararo right in the a.....God I hate those commercials. Not only are they lame, but apparently WGR can't sell air time to anybody else, with of course the only exceptions being Dr. Dweebs' back-straightening rack and Satellite Sol-douche-ons, so we get to hear all 3 in a never ending rotation. Annoying as hell.

I feel bad for Sabre fans. Complete BS what happened to this team. That said, for myself, hockey season is just gearing up! Go Sharks!!! <_<

I agree, and if your team is lucky enough, you'll be playing my Penguins in the Stanley Cup Finals. And if I'm lucky, my Pirates will be playing the Red Sox in the World Series. LOL

Both sports are just fillers for football season, however.

So baseball's "historical tradition" is why MLB and the minor leagues keep setting attendance records year after year? <_<<_<<_<

No one anywhere outside of about 6 major cities talks about baseball. In Pittsburgh, the only reason people attend games is because PNC park is the biggest city park in Western PA. PNC is a novelty in itself. Most of the people there could care less about the game. Then, instead of using money to spend on payroll, the Pirates shove about 400 fireworks nights, 250 bobblehead nights, 125 rock concerts and 50 Bill Mazeroski appearances to draw even more fans who don't care about the game.

Baseball is slowly going away. Most people in western PA couldn't name the Pirates starters. And if the two all sports AM radio stations could talk Steelers and Penguins 24/7, nobody would ever call about baseball.

PNC Park is beautiful. Too bad it's like Pittsburgh's best nightclub instead of a baseball stadium. And you can add about 15 other baseball cities to this list across America. No one cares outside of NY, Boston, Chicago, LA and maybe Detroit.

As an ex-Buffalonian, I guess I am just happy to have GR, because they talk about the Bills, and Sabres...as goofy as they may be at times, it is fun, for me, to turn on a sports talk radio show, where they break in with the big news of the day, that Teppo Muminen has been cleared to practice with the team...where I live now, nobody would know who Teppo was (a Marx brother maybe?), and they might be able, pressed hard enough, to remember the name of the NHL hockey team that plays in Buffalo. So, I appreciate it...and I just turn it off if it starts getting on my nerves...ever listen to ESPN radio, FOX Sports News radio, or Sporting News Radio? You want to hear about the Yankees, Red Sox, Tiger Woods, the Lakers, and the Cowboys 24 hours a day, non-stop? Those options are out there...

So GR55 talks about the Sabres too much? Their season just ended a week ago...they were toast of the NHL for the last year...it is good that people want to talk about them. The Bills season has been over for close to a decade...the next one doesn't start for another 4 months...is hearing about the Sabres that much worse than hearing "experts" jabber-jaw over college kids that might make an impact on the NFL some day, or might get drafted by this team or that team? Personally, while there is much I don't care for on GR, I just don't listen during the day, and then just go to the audio vault, to hear the 30 minutes or so a day that they cover stuff that might interest me...we may hate GR55, but I would hate it if they stopped streaming....

No one anywhere outside of about 6 major cities talks about baseball. In Pittsburgh, the only reason people attend games is because PNC park is the biggest city park in Western PA. PNC is a novelty in itself. Most of the people there could care less about the game. Then, instead of using money to spend on payroll, the Pirates shove about 400 fireworks nights, 250 bobblehead nights, 125 rock concerts and 50 Bill Mazeroski appearances to draw even more fans who don't care about the game.

Baseball is slowly going away. Most people in western PA couldn't name the Pirates starters. And if the two all sports AM radio stations could talk Steelers and Penguins 24/7, nobody would ever call about baseball.

PNC Park is beautiful. Too bad it's like Pittsburgh's best nightclub instead of a baseball stadium. And you can add about 15 other baseball cities to this list across America. No one cares outside of NY, Boston, Chicago, LA and maybe Detroit.

There are some who say, sports in general, are going away...in America. <_<