WGR "Sabres" Radio 550

ET1062

Anyone else ready to bury the hockey season and start talking Bills football? You wouldn't even know we had a team in town or that there is a draft in a few weeks if you listen to the local sports radio station. It is nice to have Brad Riter back on WECK 1230 AM from 6-9 PM. He always had great draft coverage at GR.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my exact thought yesterday. I'm getting ready for work and decided to turn it on for a second. And their STILL talking about the Sabres. As if the previous 473 days wasn't enough. :w00t:

I'll try to catch Brad tonight, He was one of the only hosts I actually liked at WGR.

The Sabres have been a lot more relevant to the NHL in the past 3 years than the Bills have been to the NFL in the last 10 years. So I don't mind the extra hockey talk.

What I do mind is how just about every WGR host will defend Sabres management to the death. They basically haven't done anything right in two years but they don't deserve any criticism from the "stupid callers"? :w00t:

The Sabres have been a lot more relevant to the NHL in the past 3 years than the Bills have been to the NFL in the last 10 years. So I don't mind the extra hockey talk.

What I do mind is how just about every WGR host will defend Sabres management to the death. They basically haven't done anything right in two years but they don't deserve any criticism from the "stupid callers"? :w00t:

It's too bad Buffalo sports fans aren't as critical of the local politicians (who they can actually do something about)...

It's too bad Buffalo sports fans aren't as critical of the local politicians (who they can actually do something about)...

That would require Buffalonians to have better ideas for their government than the politicians, which they do not.

I've never seen any mass movement in Buffalo to shrink local government and get spending and taxes under control. I do remember when they opened that first Krispy Kreme donuts on Niagara Falls Boulevard and people freaked out and waited in line for hours to get their donuts. :w00t:

I agree that the Sabres deserve extra time considering how well they've done, But they talk non-stop about them every day. Especially the afternoon guys.

Their season is over and the NFL draft is coming up, They just played the NCAA tournament, NASCAR is going right now, and the MLB season just started. They really don't need to rehash the same 2-3 topics every day.

I agree that the Sabres deserve extra time considering how well they've done, But they talk non-stop about them every day. Especially the afternoon guys.

Their season is over and the NFL draft is coming up, They just played the NCAA tournament, NASCAR is going right now, and the MLB season just started. They really don't need to rehash the same 2-3 topics every day.

Baseball should be huge in Buffalo. Toronto is 90 minutes away, and there are two incredible stadiums just 3.5 hours away in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Every Mets and Yankees game is on TV and those stadiums are just a roadtrip away as well.

NFL draft talk is fairly boring when you realize that no one in the world really knows what they're talking about.

Anyone else ready to bury the hockey season and start talking Bills football? You wouldn't even know we had a team in town or that there is a draft in a few weeks if you listen to the local sports radio station. It is nice to have Brad Riter back on WECK 1230 AM from 6-9 PM. He always had great draft coverage at GR.

Does WECK 1230 AM Live stream?

I didn't even get the NHL package this year, after the Sabres failed to sign Drury & Briere, didn't sign any free agents to replace them, and overpaid Vanek. I figured they would have be lucky to make the playoffs, and if they did, they would have been bounced in the 1st round. I wish Golisano would make some serious changes in his management team. Constantly recycling players does not work, and it showed this year.

I'm looking forward to the NFL draft, and the upcoming season. Hopefully we'll have a great season, and finally end our playoff drought.

Baseball should be huge in Buffalo. Toronto is 90 minutes away, and there are two incredible stadiums just 3.5 hours away in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Every Mets and Yankees game is on TV and those stadiums are just a roadtrip away as well.

NFL draft talk is fairly boring when you realize that no one in the world really knows what they're talking about.

But you can find a pro team in Toronto, northern Ohio, western PA, and NYC for lots of different sports leagues. The "problem" is that Buffalonians, by and large, like their contact sports: football in the fall, hockey in the winter, lacrosse in the spring. They also realize that baseball has the same entertainment value as watching soccer or golf. If it wasn't for baseball's historical tradition, no one in modern American society would still be talking about this lame sport.

Back on topic: bottom line is that the Sabres will continue to receive more local media attention than the Bills for as long as the Bills continue to imitate the NFL success of the Lions or Cardinals. Eight consecutive seasons without a playoff berth and twelve without a playoff victory....that's a colossal embarrasment by any measure.

I hate to tell you...but they are one in the same. Quinn is the one who controls all of the money for the Erie Canal Project and the Harbor Front. Don't you think that is a conflict of interest considering he is part owner of the arena and the Sabres? Quinn was actually the head of the Buffalo Economic Development Agency under Jimmy Griffin in the late 70's.....Quinn's M/O is that he takes public money, contracts out to buddies, F's up a project so bad that it never makes money, leaves town for 5-10 years, then returns to repeat the cycle.

He is all about making money for himself and his cronies, and if it happens to luck into doing something positive for the community...then great.

Downtown is going to take 20 years to renew.....if we get the rat bastard out of the arena, the team might have a chance to succeed again in 2 years.