History Suggests We Again Move Back Into Rd #1

Mr. T

I really expect to see us repeat what was done last year, and also the year we drafted Evans and Losman. With the extra picks the Bills have I would be somewhat surprised to not see them package a couple to move back into Rd 1 for a second selection.

Especially if we draft someone like Harvey at #11 and one of the top WRs is still available between #24 - #30. This is the mode of operation that Buffalo seems to function at, and I like it!

The team to do business with may be the San Diego Chargers. They pick 27th in the 1st round and have no major needs and because of trades made and use of their supplemental 4th round pick on Paul Oliver (great move by the way) they have no picks in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds.

I suggest using our 2nd and 3rd to get their pick at 27. The draft pick chart shows the 27th pick worth 680 points and our 42 and 73 a total of 705 points. That seems pretty even to me.

Now, if we do this it is imperative that the player we want is available at pick 27. My strategy would be then as follows:

Pick 11 - Derrick Harvey -DE - Florida

Pick 27 - Devin Thomas -WR - Michigan State or Limas Sweed - WR - Texas (Only)

If neither was their don't make the trade and stay at 42 & 73 and select:

Pick 42 - Jordy Nelson - WR - Kansas State

Pick 73 - Brad Cottam - TE - Tennessee or TE - John Carlson Notre Dame

The Bills traded back into the first round when they had two 3rd round picks to play with. They may move up if they have to part with their 4th rounder and keep the non tradeable fourth rounder. I doubt they do that this year. I'd much rather see them trade back into the draft in the first round.

Where did this Harvey guy come from all of a sudden? That would be a shi**y pick. We already have fifty trillion dollars invested in DE's so that would be total overkill.

I would like to see the Bills stay right where they are at #11 or trade down a few spots. If they could get an extra pick or two in the 2nd or 3rd rounds I think there's enough talent at WR, TE, and CB in the draft that the Bills could really clean up! :unsure:

Where did this Harvey guy come from all of a sudden? That would be a shi**y pick. We already have fifty trillion dollars invested in DE's so that would be total overkill.

I would like to see the Bills stay right where they are at #11 or trade down a few spots. If they could get an extra pick or two in the 2nd or 3rd rounds I think there's enough talent at WR, TE, and CB in the draft that the Bills could really clean up! :unsure:

we dont have fifty trillion dollars invested in DEs

we dont have much of a pass rush (yes, that may improve with Stroud. maybe)

Schobel is not getting any younger, Kelsay is... an adequate player, after him its a severe dropoff. we saw in the super bowl the key to beating the Patriots.

we can get a DE at 11 and still get a WR later (especially if we move back into the 1st as this thread suggests)

Edit: ill actually be happy with whatever the Bills choose to do. i wouldnt mind them taking a WR or trading down or anything else. just saying, prepare that we might draft a DLineman and its not unwarranted.

we dont have fifty trillion dollars invested in DEs

we dont have much of a pass rush (yes, that may improve with Stroud. maybe)

Schobel is not getting any younger, Kelsay is... an adequate player, after him its a severe dropoff. we saw in the super bowl the key to beating the Patriots.

we can get a DE at 11 and still get a WR later (especially if we move back into the 1st as this thread suggests)

Edit: ill actually be happy with whatever the Bills choose to do. i wouldnt mind them taking a WR or trading down or anything else. just saying, prepare that we might draft a DLineman and its not unwarranted.

I'd love to know where the Myth of the Highly-Priced Ends came from...

The beauty to all of this is that the Bills will have MANY options in this particular draft... and its driving most people on this forum mad trying to figure out what will really happen.... But it will be fun when it gets here!!!

My choice would be to trade down if at all possible.... Steely Dan is right on that one... 12 or 13 picks would be a lot of bling... I don't expect that to happen, though...

But the thread title has a lot of merit... We have traded up in the last three out of four drafts... so it is very possible with 10 picks to use... That would give the Bills a shot to get a DE and WR...

Knowing the Bills in recent years, though, shows that they could do just about anything... it should be a party! :unsure:

I'd love to know where the Myth of the Highly-Priced Ends came from...

Both signed in 2007.

Schobel: 7 years-$50.5 million

Kelsay: 4 years-$23 million

No the Bills aren't getting enough production out of either---at least last year. But, I can't understand why we would want to add another top salary to that position, RIGHT NOW when they're other glaring needs. The #11 pick last year (Patrick Willis) got almost $17 million.

Both signed in 2007.

No the Bills aren't getting enough production out of either---at least last year. But, I can't understand why we would want to add another top salary to that position, RIGHT NOW when they're other glaring needs. The #11 pick last year (Patrick Willis) got almost $17 million.

Don't forget that $35 million was in guaranteed money the Bills committed to those guys.

But they're not high priced. No sir.

What about trade down to take BOTH of Dallas's first round picks.

I wouldn't mind if we threw in our compensatory 4th round pick also. So we will have two 1st rounders and one each in Rd 2-4. That should help stockpile the talent. Depends who we want and don't want in Rd 1.

I wouldn't mind if we threw in our compensatory 4th round pick also. So we will have two 1st rounders and one each in Rd 2-4. That should help stockpile the talent. Depends who we want and don't want in Rd 1.

Compensatory picks can't be traded.

The team to do business with may be the San Diego Chargers. They pick 27th in the 1st round and have no major needs and because of trades made and use of their supplemental 4th round pick on Paul Oliver (great move by the way) they have no picks in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds.

I suggest using our 2nd and 3rd to get their pick at 27. The draft pick chart shows the 27th pick worth 680 points and our 42 and 73 a total of 705 points. That seems pretty even to me.

Now, if we do this it is imperative that the player we want is available at pick 27. My strategy would be then as follows:

I'm not sold on Harvey, but I like the rest of this gameplan a lot. I do worry that #27 may be too late to snag Thomas. We might need to try to sneak in around #20.

I would be really happy with this scenario!

Both signed in 2007.

Schobel makes 1.5 million this year

Denney 2.3

Kelsey 1.4

Neill 370,000

Bryan 370,00

Thats 5.94 million tied up this year at DE. Compare that to 5.01 million invested in WR this year and even the 7.2 invested in OT and you'll see that it is a myth that we have all of this money tied up in DE.

Bottom line is this: We can afford a 1st rd DE just as much as we can afford a 1st rd WR. We're 21 million under the cap for heaven's sake and thats without the rookie cap being adjusted yet.

I highly doubt this is being overheard at One Bills Drive:"We can't put anymore money at DE!!!!" "Then draft a WR!!!".

The real question the Bills front office is faced with is who is going to impact this team most as a rookie and who gives us a good bang for our buck.