malcom kelly 40

I'm tired of trading up and much rather trade down.

Why are you tired of trading up? The first time Marv et al traded up, they got John McCargo; and the second time around, they got Poz. I'd rather have one guy who can make a difference, than two or three guys who won't be on the roster after a few years.

Why are you tired of trading up? The first time Marv et al traded up, they got John McCargo; and the second time around, they got Poz. I'd rather have one guy who can make a difference, than two or three guys who won't be on the roster after a few years.

I can argue that we could have ended up with Brodrick Bunkley, Roman Harper, Ashton Youboty and Jason Spitz if didn't trade up to acquire for McCargo which to me is a better group then Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. I can also argue that had we not traded up we could of ended up with Lynch, David Harris, James Jones and Trent Edwards had not traded up for Poz.

Some of you guys sneer, but the league is littered with the wreckage of great college WRs who timed poorly and subesequently tanked in the pros.

And i could give you a list equally as long with WR's who were picked high because of their times who turned out to be busts. Charles Rodgers anyone?

As I said in another thread, you always look at the individual player. Not the statistics, numbers, or trends.

And i could give you a list equally as long with WR's who were picked high because of their times who turned out to be busts. Charles Rodgers anyone?

As I said in another thread, you always look at the individual player. Not the statistics, numbers, or trends.

Absolutely, but you have to look at the numbers (I'd prefer Combine numbers) to make sure he will be fast enough and does have enough acceleration to make it at the pro level.... No 4.6 WR is going to be a #1 WR at the pro level... I don't think you look at the numbers so much to see how fast, but is he fast enough? Does he have that burst? If he doesn't he isn't worth taking in the first round, and probably not in the second either.....

Absolutely, but you have to look at the numbers (I'd prefer Combine numbers) to make sure he will be fast enough and does have enough acceleration to make it at the pro level.... No 4.6 WR is going to be a #1 WR at the pro level... I don't think you look at the numbers so much to see how fast, but is he fast enough? Does he have that burst? If he doesn't he isn't worth taking in the first round, and probably not in the second either.....

http://football.about.com/od/legends/p/jerryrice.htm

don't quit your day job.

I seem to recall Jerry Rice turned out fairly well despite a "sub-par" 40 time in the neighborhood of 4.7.

Anquan Boldin ran a poor 40 a few years back and he's been pretty darn good.

Speed is nice, but I'd take a guy who finds ways to separate from coverage first. Ask Troy Williamson how his size equates to success in the NFL.

don't worry

posters are confident are medical staff will perform miracles on those knees and quad so he will run faster than Deion ever did. :ph34r:

(note- our medical staff is good - it's posters that are the problem in ignoring very real injury problems just because the guy is tall)

Maybe, just maybe... people want to hear what our evaluators think... It has little to do with believing our Medical personell are gonna perform miracle cure of his ailments.. IF he has these ailments.

But remember history Lee Evans had a bad knee.. Thurman Thomas had a bad knee.... both were cleared by our medical personel before being drafted...

The other fact is Kelly's size will benefit him well in the NFL, so top end speed is not as important.

if a receiver runs excellent routes, has good burst off the line, and has excellent ball skills - the 40 isn't nearly as important.

Housmandzadeh - 4.6

Jerry Rice - 4.6

Larry Fitzgerald - 4.6

Plaxico Burress - never ran it officially (apparently) but was estimated to be a 4.6

basically if Kelly runs anything in the 4.5/4.6 range, he's probably fine - assuming the scouts are satisfied with his game (routes, burst, ball skills) and his health.

And if I can reiterate what the Sporting News said about Kelly:

1. He has the best hands of any receiver coming out - dropped 1 pass in the last 2 years.

2. He is fearless going over the middle and has the skills to turn upfield.

3. He is the best blocking receiver their scouts have EVER seen.

In comparison, they said, Sweed is a better athlete than football player - will drop some easy throws. And he is definitely more of a boom or bust pick - if his wrist is well and he checks out, he seems more likely a 2nd round selection and at that slot he would be well worth a shot. To me, if we go wideout in the 1st, I'd be shocked if it isn't Kelly or Thomas. If we don't pick a WR until the 2nd or later , I think the possibilities for a tall, strong wideout are wide open.

if a receiver runs excellent routes, has good burst off the line, and has excellent ball skills - the 40 isn't nearly as important.

Housmandzadeh - 4.6

Jerry Rice - 4.6

Larry Fitzgerald - 4.6

Plaxico Burress - never ran it officially (apparently) but was estimated to be a 4.6

basically if Kelly runs anything in the 4.5/4.6 range, he's probably fine - assuming the scouts are satisfied with his game (routes, burst, ball skills) and his health.

Stats are used to justify people when they suit their cases. If a guy flops in the NFL, they say "See! I told you he'd stink. He ran 4.65 in the 40!"

Then if a guy who runs a 4.65 turns out be a success the same friggin' people say, "See! I told you! 40 times don't mean jack once the pads go on!"

Bottom line: good football players are just plain good football players. The trick is to poke, prod, question and investigate these guys as much as possible with the hopes of picking one who doesn't turn out to be a lemon. Sometimes all signs point to a player being a smashing success and they fail anyway. Other times the signs aren't so good, but the player ends up being a perrenial all pro. There's only so much you can do. We have to wait and see how Kelly does at his pro day tomorrow. From there we can see if he is really the #1 WR in this draft or if he should be slotted below the likes of Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson and Limas Sweed.