I haven't seen too many discussing us taking LB Keith Rivers

Nothing wrong with adding offensive talent, but it's a good bet that talent won't have much impact this year. Realistically, our O will still be a year away with a 2nd year QB, RB, and no TE threat or legit #2 WR.

If you have a chance to get an impact player on defense, especially one that can bring pressure off the edge, you take him. It's that simple. If Rivers, or anyone else is the real deal you have a chance to lock up a player that will wreak havoc on offenses for years to come. Again, like Bennett in '87.

GO BILLS!!!

So they should put it off until next year then?

The hole at WR is a gapping one that needs to be addressed, there is no hole at the LB spot right now, they have 3 starters and decent depth right now. If they think Crowell is going to walk at the end of the year and I don't know why people assume that) then they can fix that next year. And if they had concerns over which Mitchell would show up this year, they probably wouldn't have signed him

Taking a LB right now to basically be depth would be a luxury, when the team has a list of other needs in front of LB. So unless this LB can take pressure and coverage off of Evans, then its not going to matter and the Bills will continue to spin their wheels. They don't need someone to step in and be a #1 right away, they need someone to step in and be a #2, so why not grab someone witht he potential to be a #1 in a couple of years (since apparantly its a given that WR's always take 2 years to develop)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with adding offensive talent, but it's a good bet that talent won't have much impact this year. Realistically, our O will still be a year away with a 2nd year QB, RB, and no TE threat or legit #2 WR.

If you have a chance to get an impact player on defense, especially one that can bring pressure off the edge, you take him. It's that simple. If Rivers, or anyone else is the real deal you have a chance to lock up a player that will wreak havoc on offenses for years to come. Again, like Bennett in '87.

GO BILLS!!!

Any O talent brought in in the early rounds will have an impact over what we already have. it may take them 2 seasons to peak, but if we can trade down from #11 and thenuse the extra picks to trade back up into the 1st for 2 1st rd selections and grab a tall WR and a top TE we will be in much better dshape in 2008 then drafting the BPA on the D side of the ball IMHO...

We really cannot afford to wait another year. Trent needs better targets and needs then now not in a year.

That is exactly what I fear most from Jauron. :lol:

In any event, the Bills drafted Cowart in 1998. AS I recall, they played a 3/4, so the was a greater need for lbs. This is the 1997 Bills roster. There were some great lbs there, and they all got hurt, as did Cowart.

Don't get me wrong....I am not calling for the Bills to draft a lb in round 1. I'm just haunted by the memory of losing all of those great ones seemingly all at once.

The Bills desparately need playmakers on the defense - including LB.

Whoever they take at #11 should fit this description.

Right now they have a serviceable group of LBs, but no real playmakers.

Mitchell raises the OLB play to NFl caliber but not much more than that. POZ will be solid but he is not dominant either. Crowell has piled up good stats because of the weak players at teh otehr LB positions, not because he is exceptional.

Crowell

Mitchell raises the OLB play to NFl caliber but not much more than that. POZ will be solid but he is not dominant either. Crowell has piled up good stats because of the weak players at teh otehr LB positions, not because he is exceptional.

Crowell

Not as badly as they desperatly need play,akers on offence. The defence kept them in the majority of the games last year, and that was without Mitchell and Poz, and Stroud. The problem was the offence which hasn't been touched this offseason couldn't do anything when they had the ball and just gave it back to the defence to take care of.

So they should put it off until next year then?

The hole at WR is a gapping one that needs to be addressed, there is no hole at the LB spot right now, they have 3 starters and decent depth right now. If they think Crowell is going to walk at the end of the year and I don't know why people assume that) then they can fix that next year. And if they had concerns over which Mitchell would show up this year, they probably wouldn't have signed him

Taking a LB right now to basically be depth would be a luxury, when the team has a list of other needs in front of LB. So unless this LB can take pressure and coverage off of Evans, then its not going to matter and the Bills will continue to spin their wheels. They don't need someone to step in and be a #1 right away, they need someone to step in and be a #2, so why not grab someone witht he potential to be a #1 in a couple of years (since apparantly its a given that WR's always take 2 years to develop)

I didn't say that.

And we're not talking about taking an LB for depth. We're talking about a game changer. Like Bennett. Or would you have argued THAT move as well. In '87, our O was much like it is now with the exception of Kelly. No Thurman. No #2. No TE. Polian STILL knew what he had to do to compete with Miami. And when Bennett came it changed EVERYTHING immediately.

Fruitless discussion. Rivers won't be there.

GO BILLS!!!

Any O talent brought in in the early rounds will have an impact over what we already have. it may take them 2 seasons to peak, but if we can trade down from #11 and thenuse the extra picks to trade back up into the 1st for 2 1st rd selections and grab a tall WR and a top TE we will be in much better dshape in 2008 then drafting the BPA on the D side of the ball IMHO...

We really cannot afford to wait another year. Trent needs better targets and needs then now not in a year.

Again, I won't argue that taking good offensive talent is a bad thing. But if you have a chance to get a game changing playmaker on defense, especially one that brings fast pressure off the edge, YOU TAKE HIM. You just can't go wrong.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't say that.

And we're not talking about taking an LB for depth. We're talking about a game changer. Like Bennett. Or would you have argued THAT move as well. In '87, our O was much like it is now with the exception of Kelly. No Thurman. No #2. No TE. Polian STILL knew what he had to do to compete with Miami. And when Bennett came it changed EVERYTHING immediately.

Fruitless discussion. Rivers won't be there.

GO BILLS!!!

So the Bills will be going with 4 LBers now? They have 3 starters already that are pretty good, so unless this guy is already NFL ready and can step in immediatly and be a huge upgrade over our top LB from last season (Crowell), the LB we traded up to get last year (Poz), or the first FA signing they made this year (Mitchell) who they intend to have start, he will be depth.

And didn't Bennett come in via trade and already had NFL experience??

So the Bills will be going with 4 LBers now? They have 3 starters already that are pretty good, so unless this guy is already NFL ready and can step in immediatly and be a huge upgrade over our top LB from last season (Crowell), the LB we traded up to get last year (Poz), or the first FA signing they made this year (Mitchell) who they intend to have start, he will be depth.

Assertions that the Bills have 3 good LB starters are premature. Poz played 2 games - what's to say, like a baseball pitcher brought up from the minors who wows then gets figured out - Poz will also be figured out?

We don't know.

The Bills ended up near the basement defensively last season. One might argue time on the field, the moribund offense, coaches, coaching philosophy etc.

And the coaching took few chances...not much blitzing. Was that philosophy or because they knew the talent wasn't there? Dunno.

Bennett's 1st NFL team was the Bills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Bennett

Crowell

I'm so glad that you know that Poz will not be dominant ever. Between your all knowing knowledge of the Bills "never trading on draft day", and "the bills will trade up to grab patrick willis", your analysis that Limas sweed will never be healthy again, and now this, why arent you working for a front office?

I'm so glad that you know that Poz will not be dominant ever. Between your all knowing knowledge of the Bills "never trading on draft day", and "the bills will trade up to grab patrick willis", your analysis that Limas sweed will never be healthy again, and now this, why arent you working for a front office?

I think hes fighting the sith out on alderan :devil:

Not as badly as they desperatly need play,akers on offence. The defence kept them in the majority of the games last year, and that was without Mitchell and Poz, and Stroud. The problem was the offence which hasn't been touched this offseason couldn't do anything when they had the ball and just gave it back to the defence to take care of.

Problem here is that no WR is going to have an impact at 11. We do have more than just a first round pick. Get your position of impact and then lets see where we are in the 2nd and 3 rd rounds.

Is this terribly unreasonable?

Problem here is that no WR is going to have an impact at 11. We do have more than just a first round pick. Get your position of impact and then lets see where we are in the 2nd and 3 rd rounds.

Is this terribly unreasonable?

If we indeed think no offensive weapon of value is available at #11, we trade down. What are we going to do with a dominant LB corps if the offense does not have weapons to score ? Do we then trust this D to forever give us the ball near the 30 yard line so Lindell can keep booting FGs ? I know I am being overly factious but I cannot fathom how we can go into this season without 1st round upgrade in the WR or TE department. For those that say said WR may not contribute this season, we will be stuck in the same position next off-season also.

Count me in as someone who has no interest in drafting Rivers at number 11.

I prefer Harvey.

If Cromartie and Rivers are sitting there, I think the Bills will take Cromartie.

The rumour on this board after the draft last year, was that the Bills had it down to Lynch or Revis for their first pick.

Thus, having another shot at a playmaking CB, I almost expect the pick to be a CB this year.

(though, having picked up James/Peterson, they certainly aren't forced into taking a CB)

Have another and think of me. :devil:

Actually, Bennett came in a trade... Oct. 31st , I believe, but had NO pro experience. He was a rookie holdout with the Colts

This place would go apeshit if:

1) The Bills trade out of the 11 spot

2) Sweed is still on the board when the Bills select

3) The pick is Dan Connor

4) The Bills take the WR they covet in the 2nd

I personally want Rivers @ 11, but it's doubtful that he'll be there (that says a lot right there). This thread is interesting because it totally ignores the BPA concept. With only two LBs carrying first round grades in this draft, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wouldn't want the elite LB this draft has to offer if he were to fall to the Bills at 11. I'm not going to debate it, I just flat out don't understand it. It's pretty comical to read how everyone thinks the Bills are set at LB all of a sudden.

If he's everything they say he is, he is leaps and bounds BETTER than anyone we have at the position RIGHT NOW.

It is FAR FAR easier for a rookie defensive player to have an impact immediately than it is for an offensive player. I won't take the time to explain why. You either understand that about the game or you don't.

Once again, we are talking GAME CHANGER. In the form of making plays, making those around him better, and FORCING offenses to account for him on EVERY play.

If you have a chance to get one of those guys you do it. There is just no further discussion.

But IF he's what he's cracked up to be, HE WON'T BE THERE because some team, with a need or not will take him way before he gets to us.

GO BILLS!!!

This place would go apeshit if:

1) The Bills trade out of the 11 spot

2) Sweed is still on the board when the Bills select

3) The pick is Dan Connor

4) The Bills take the WR they covet in the 2nd

I personally want Rivers @ 11, but it's doubtful that he'll be there (that says a lot right there). This thread is interesting because it totally ignores the BPA concept. With only two LBs carrying first round grades in this draft, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone wouldn't want the elite LB this draft has to offer if he were to fall to the Bills at 11. I'm not going to debate it, I just flat out don't understand it. It's pretty comical to read how everyone thinks the Bills are set at LB all of a sudden.

what don't you understand? :devil:

Rivers is a stud who just blew out his pro day and is light years ahead of anyone in our LB corp

But we have a bigger need for a broken WR to challenge for WR#2.

We are riding the treadmill to nowhere and you can't get off.