favorite wines

Pete

you never deserve to make fun of someone because of their personal subjective preference

They're drinking white zin for god's sake. They'd be better off putting a shot of vodka in a juice box.

if you feel that price dictates the quality of the wine, ie, a $50.00 wine MUST be better than a >$10.00 wine then yes you are a wine snob

I didn't say wines over $50 MUST be better than wines under $10. But they usually are. If that makes me a snob so be it. That also means I'm drinking some kick ass wines.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're drinking white zin for god's sake. They'd be better off putting a shot of vodka in a juice box.

I didn't say wines over $50 MUST be better than wines under $10. But they usually are. If that makes me a snob so be it. That also means I'm drinking some kick ass wines.

You're like Paul Giamatti in the movie Sideways, aren't you???

:thumbsup:

Wow, two for two that we agree on. You want to rethink your position?

I really enjoy Pinotage, especially with spicy food like tacos or something. As far as brands, Le Riche Cab Sauv Reserve is fantastic. I haven't really sought it out in the US so I don't know if it is readily available here, but I'm sure you could order it online- it's worth it.

I sat down last week, open a bottle of Vasco Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino, intending to save some for the next day. It was so amazing before I realized it, I had downed the entire bottle. This is probably the best bottle of wine I've had in at least a year and the first time I ever had a Brunello. I am seriously a fan, and on the next trip to fill the cellar, several more Brunello's including at least a couple bottles of this.

http://www.winestylesirvine.com/224259?id=XBssPCII

I sat down last week, open a bottle of Vasco Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino, intending to save some for the next day. It was so amazing before I realized it, I had downed the entire bottle. This is probably the best bottle of wine I've had in at least a year and the first time I ever had a Brunello. I am seriously a fan, and on the next trip to fill the cellar, several more Brunello's including at least a couple bottles of this.

http://www.winestylesirvine.com/224259?id=XBssPCII

The description of that wine is why i think alot of this is bull sh--. Is this guy for real? For god sake, its a DRINK

The Wine Advocate Vasco Sassetti’s 2001 Brunello di Montalcino is a big, brawny wine. A dark ruby, it opens with a powerful nose redolent of tar, smoke and earthiness. On the palate it reveals a tightly-wound core of backward dark fruit on a structured frame, with excellent length and fine overall balance in a slightly rustic and austere, yet pleasing, style. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2019. Score: 90. —Antonio Galloni, December 2006.

Kind of. But I don't have to steal money from my mother to buy a bottle of Krug.

My college roommate was married at Krug. Nice place....some great wines.

And I thought Sideways was fuggin' brilliant.

Great thread. I admit I work with wine daily and am trusted with recomendations so I kinda know my stuff. I'm typically a fan of big Austrailian reds and Californian cabs with a few Zins once in a while. Nothing like a great shiraz that is nice and jammy with hints of cocoa, fruit, and coffee notes too maybe. If anyone is wondering where to start, there is no right answer. Just start buying lots of different bottles to try (definitely start cheap) and even if you love a wine, move on to something new. That wine will always be there to go back to, but you never know if there is something else you may like more. Try different wine regions, too. You'll find out quickly that there are huge differences between old world and new world wines. (I'm a fan of new world, i.e., Aussy, US, mainly because you don't get as much earthy-ness and you usually get more fruit.) Hopefully someone will find that useful.

I like Aussie, Italian and South American wines.

Bulletin makes a very good inexpensive Shiraz.

The Wine Advocate Vasco Sassetti’s 2001 Brunello di Montalcino is a big, brawny wine. A dark ruby, it opens with a powerful nose redolent of tar, smoke and earthiness. On the palate it reveals a tightly-wound core of backward dark fruit on a structured frame, with excellent length and fine overall balance in a slightly rustic and austere, yet pleasing, style. Anticipated maturity: 2008-2019. Score: 90. —Antonio Galloni, December 2006.

Sounds like a creative way to say someone sh-- on your tongue. :blink:

Put away the books and go on a wine trail ride (get a designated driver of course). If you are lucky you have a nearby liquor store that does wine tasting. You get good info about sugar content, grape types, good years and bad years - and why...

We had fun up by Niagara on the Lake last year and Keuka Lake too!

Your fiance needs to expand her wine horizon. :blink:

Thanks for starting this thread Pete. Everyone else, this is the message I sent to Pete asking about wine. Any input would be great.

Hey Pete,

I was never a big wine drinker until I met my fiance. She loves wine, bit only drinks Chardonnay. Her sister drinks Red wine. We actually just bought my fiance a wine fridge, which is nice.

I'm looking to get more into wine, but honestly have NO CLUE where to start. When I hear some people talking about wine, its almost like they are talking about rocket science mixed with their religion. Its insane.

I would like to become more educated about wine, but never want to be someone who says "I can taste hints of blah blah blah in this glass".

I like sweeter red wine. I don't want to spend $30 a bottle, but can afford better than a $5 bottle.

Where do I start? Any good books that are easy, quick reads that you recommend?

Thanks!

Sounds like a creative way to say someone sh-- on your tongue. :devil:

I'll tell you some of the prose people use to describe wine does make you laugh. I actually read a review that said a Sauvignon Blanc had a hint of gasoline :lol: . But I have learned alot by reading those things while tasting certain wines. It's a lot of fun...thank god for the internet.

The description of that wine is why i think alot of this is bull sh--. Is this guy for real? For god sake, its a DRINK

Stick to Boones Farm son.