favorite wines

Pete

when i was at my wine store the other nite, i was buying some sausage and cheese and asked what he thought would go with them, he asked me..."....what kind of wine do you like to drink...." that made perfect sense....too many people are too stringent in their tastes that they force themselves to do what they may not enjoy to the fullest

the question i'd have asked is: "what kind of stuff do you actually "cook" mixing sausage and cheese?!!"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beaujolaise is a good starter wine. It's on the sweeter side. But be careful, due to the sugar content it can be headache in a glass. That's what we used to call Beaujolaise Nouveau.

he had some classic middle of the pack Beaujolais Villages Chef, not the all-for tourists all-headache Beaujolais Nouveau...

No I have the same issue with red wine. Sometimes I'll only have two glasses and wake up with a headache. I've been told, and have noticed due to extensive personal research ( <_< ) that imported red wine is not as bad as domestic when it comes to headaches. Some say it's the sufates that are added here in the States. That's a old wives tale. Sulfates occur naturally in wine but almost all wineries (imported and domestic) add some sulfates. We just put it on the labels here because the gov't requires it. Wonderful government intervention.

yeah it's the sulfates... I've recently bought some sulfate free Morgons... awesome and headache free even if you go a little to far...

he had some classic middle of the pack Beaujolais Villages Chef, not the all-for tourists all-headache Beaujolais Nouveau...

That's exactly what I had. It was called "Beaujolais Villages"... don't know what makes it different from regular Beaujolais, but it was tasty

my local wine shop does weekly friday tastings....here is the offering for this week....anyone have any recommendations from this list? thanks.

1. CAVE PRISSE SAINT-VERAN WHITE BURGUNDY $16.45

2. RAPET PERE & FILS BOURGOGNE ALIGOTE $15.95

3. DOMAINE DE BOISSIEU BEAUJOLAIS-VILLAGES $14.95

4. FERRATON PERE & FILS CROZES-HERMITAGE $18.95

5. CHATEAU BELLEVUE PEYCHARNEAU BORDEAUX $17.95

St Veran is a very nice white... and at that price, with the euro so high it looks like a great deal!

and among the reds i'd take the Crozes Hermitage. classic and made just 25 miles from my home village...

thanks man, nice to hear the opinion of someone with local ties to the wines

St Veran is a very nice white... and at that price, with the euro so high it looks like a great deal!

and among the reds i'd take the Crozes Hermitage. classic and made just 25 miles from my home village...

That's exactly what I had. It was called "Beaujolais Villages"... don't know what makes it different from regular Beaujolais, but it was tasty

Well Beaujolais is a french region just north of Lyon. Overseas it's known basically for its "Beaujolais Nouveau", a cheap wine that is sold in mid november just 2 months after the harvest. Don't drink that!!

Then there's the middle of the pack wines "Beaujolais" and "Beaujolais Villages" that are easy to drink reds that you should find under 15 dollars. Their quality are very variable depending of the winery. Duboeuf who is the biggest player in the region has some above average ones... The "Beaujolais Villages" is usually better than the "Beaujolais".

Finally there's the "Crus du Beaujolais" that are linked to small territories, each with peculiar soils, exposition to sunshine etc... Those rarer wines are of course the best ones of the region. There's the strong ones that can be compared to good Bourgognes: Julienas, Morgon, Moulin à Vent. The sweet Fleurie, maybe my favorite of the lot..., The Brouilly and its better brother the Cotes de Brouilly that are lighter wines... I may be forgetting a couple of others... Those wines not well known overseas are usually cheaper than their northern neighbors of Burgundy and some of them are reallly good. In the US you probably can find them around 20-25 dollars.

yeah it's the sulfates... I've recently bought some sulfate free Morgons... awesome and headache free even if you go a little to far...

I'm not so sure how they can call it sulfate free seeing sulfates occur naturally in wine. However they do not add any additional sulfates.

Olivier gave a nice explanation. It gets pretty confusing.

In America we call a wine by the grape (Merlot, Cabernet etc) while in Europe they call it by where it was grown. So saying you drank a "Bordeaux" is somewhat similar to saying you drank a Napa wine. Now, most regions specialize in a particular grape so you can frequently guess what you are drinking. Beaujolais is almost all the same grape so that one is pretty straightforward.

Olivier gave a nice explanation. It gets pretty confusing.

In America we call a wine by the grape (Merlot, Cabernet etc) while in Europe they call it by where it was grown. So saying you drank a "Bordeaux" is somewhat similar to saying you drank a Napa wine. Now, most regions specialize in a particular grape so you can frequently guess what you are drinking. Beaujolais is almost all the same grape so that one is pretty straightforward.

My order came Monday. quick review on a couple we've opened:

Bush Bike Chard: This is an Australian Chard. Its taste is similar to the Yellow tail that's also from Stralia. Nice taste. Half a bottle left.

Las Almas: Chilean wine. Translation: The Souls. My take. I liked it a bunch. And I usually don't like Chards. Crisp. No real after taste that a lot of Chards leave. I'd highly recommend a bottle for a try.

Remember these are all 10 to 12 dollar bottles of wine. Value you !@#$s. Not wine assbuttsnobbery

Thanks again for the coupon gmac :thumbsup:

i know you've traveled a lot Pete, but Spain is the only place i've seen people doing that blasphemy... have you seen it elsewhere?

He Olivier- I have seen that many places. I remember it being big in Poland. Several countries I saw it-I can't recall specifically where but I saw it fairly often. They also mixed cherry juice and beer in Poland

I was drinking beer. The wife was drinking the wine. I had one glass. so-k? :thumbsup:

So let me get this straight. Your wife was drinking wine and you had a glass and there was still a half a bottle left? Sounds like somebody didn't get laid. :D