favorite wines

Pete

What types of wine does everyone enjoy? Any favorites? What are some of the best you have ever tried? I really dig Barolo and Super-Tuscan wines. And I am quite fond of Port wine. Six Grapes is a very delicious Port. Champagne is amazing. Some of my favorite wines I have ever tried- Lakoya, Caymus, and Dominus ( I have a wealthy buddy who is generous with his wine cellar- I can't afford those). Let's hear some good recommendations!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the best wine I've had is a Lynch-Bage Bordeaux. The complexity Bordeaux wines create with the blending is amazing but for me it's really a special occasion wine because of the cost. I go through cycles. I'll go on a Barolo kick and then not drink it for months. I'll have a run of success at work and toast it with some really high quality Champagne and then drink only Champagne for weeks. Then during the hot months of the summer just some nice California Chardonnay. Of course then some friends and I will splurge a couple of times a year and buy a very old port and just try it with all sorts of things from Stilton to chocolate. So for me there is nothing that I would call my favorite. Tasting as many different types of wines is my favorite thing to do. As a matter of fact I took my staff to a day of wine tasting to a small winery tucked in the canyons of Orange county. Ok wine but it was just a blast to talk to the owner/wine maker about how he got started. It was a fun find that no one knew was in our backyard.

Thanks for starting this thread Pete. Everyone else, this is the message I sent to Pete asking about wine. Any input would be great.

Hey Pete,

I was never a big wine drinker until I met my fiance. She loves wine, bit only drinks Chardonnay. Her sister drinks Red wine. We actually just bought my fiance a wine fridge, which is nice.

I'm looking to get more into wine, but honestly have NO CLUE where to start. When I hear some people talking about wine, its almost like they are talking about rocket science mixed with their religion. Its insane.

I would like to become more educated about wine, but never want to be someone who says "I can taste hints of blah blah blah in this glass".

I like sweeter red wine. I don't want to spend $30 a bottle, but can afford better than a $5 bottle.

Where do I start? Any good books that are easy, quick reads that you recommend?

Thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread Pete. Everyone else, this is the message I sent to Pete asking about wine. Any input would be great.

Hey Pete,

I was never a big wine drinker until I met my fiance. She loves wine, bit only drinks Chardonnay. Her sister drinks Red wine. We actually just bought my fiance a wine fridge, which is nice.

I'm looking to get more into wine, but honestly have NO CLUE where to start. When I hear some people talking about wine, its almost like they are talking about rocket science mixed with their religion. Its insane.

I would like to become more educated about wine, but never want to be someone who says "I can taste hints of blah blah blah in this glass".

I like sweeter red wine. I don't want to spend $30 a bottle, but can afford better than a $5 bottle.

Where do I start? Any good books that are easy, quick reads that you recommend?

Thanks!

I agree with a lot of what you say. I enjoy a nice glass of wine myself, I am not into all the wine jargon. I know there are quite a few very nice wineries in the finger lakes that I enjoy. I find them much cheaper than any cali. or french wine.

If your into Riesling, I recommend Dr Frank Konstantin located on Seneca lake I believe. They have won quite a few gold medals.

What types of wine does everyone enjoy? Any favorites? What are some of the best you have ever tried? I really dig Barolo and Super-Tuscan wines. And I am quite fond of Port wine. Six Grapes is a very delicious Port. Champagne is amazing. Some of my favorite wines I have ever tried- Lakoya, Caymus, and Dominus ( I have a wealthy buddy who is generous with his wine cellar- I can't afford those). Let's hear some good recommendations!

I hear the two buck chuck is very similiar to the Caymus :lol:

I drink tons on wine, all differant price ranges and all differant varietals. I was a novice wine snob in my early days of wine drinking, but have found out what a true idiot I was. Lots of great wine at all price ranges. I must say i do drink lots of two buck chuck when it is just me opening a bottle with a burger lets say. Wifey poo having a glass with me say on a wednesday evening we drink quite often the Dynamite Cab, about $12/ bottle at the Costco.

For guests or for whan we are having a nicer meal at home with red meat of some kind, I have drinking a a Petit Verdot by Trinchero, 2004 vintage. Ordered three cases after a wine dinner and really like it. Bout $18 a bottle

Great thread. I admit I work with wine daily and am trusted with recomendations so I kinda know my stuff. I'm typically a fan of big Austrailian reds and Californian cabs with a few Zins once in a while. Nothing like a great shiraz that is nice and jammy with hints of cocoa, fruit, and coffee notes too maybe. If anyone is wondering where to start, there is no right answer. Just start buying lots of different bottles to try (definitely start cheap) and even if you love a wine, move on to something new. That wine will always be there to go back to, but you never know if there is something else you may like more. Try different wine regions, too. You'll find out quickly that there are huge differences between old world and new world wines. (I'm a fan of new world, i.e., Aussy, US, mainly because you don't get as much earthy-ness and you usually get more fruit.) Hopefully someone will find that useful.

Great thread. I admit I work with wine daily and am trusted with recomendations so I kinda know my stuff. I'm typically a fan of big Austrailian reds and Californian cabs with a few Zins once in a while. Nothing like a great shiraz that is nice and jammy with hints of cocoa, fruit, and coffee notes too maybe. If anyone is wondering where to start, there is no right answer. Just start buying lots of different bottles to try (definitely start cheap) and even if you love a wine, move on to something new. That wine will always be there to go back to, but you never know if there is something else you may like more. Try different wine regions, too. You'll find out quickly that there are huge differences between old world and new world wines. (I'm a fan of new world, i.e., Aussy, US, mainly because you don't get as much earthy-ness and you usually get more fruit.) Hopefully someone will find that useful.

That why I love going to wine dinners, so many wines I would never know about. Wine salesmen must love me cause the food and wine are so perfectly matched I end up buying WAY to much wine. But in my example above, the Petit Verdot was just something I had never really had, and really enjoyed it. So agree with what you say about trying all kinds. BTW, i be a big Zin fan

see that Georges Dubouef. its sweeter and should be $9-12

What kind of wine is that??? I don't want to sound like a moron when i go to the wine store and try to pronounce that... I will just ask where are the "this type of wine" and then i'll look for that one.

What kind of wine is that??? I don't want to sound like a moron when i go to the wine store and try to pronounce that... I will just ask where are the "this type of wine" and then i'll look for that one.

LOL The French language is tough. It sounds phonetically something like Boosh-you-lay

ha! its a french red. Boo-ja-lays

you can say "George Dew-boff" and theyll know what youre talking about too.

and that is the type of wine? like merlot or chardonnay, etc??

yep, except with French and Italian wines, the wine is named after the region. Unlike wines named after the grape.

edit: therefore, its from the Beaujolais region of france