Say what you will about Ralph Wilson...

2 Eastern conference finals appearances actually.

How much do you think Bills fans would give up to make the playoffs, not to mention go the the AFC championship game 2 years in a row?

And how insane would this board be right now if the Bills decided it was time to rebuild after those 2 AFC Cahampionship games and not make the playoffs?

I don't think Sabres fans are reacting any different then what Bills fans would if they were in the same situation.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't include Regier in equation. Quinn drives the bus. I believe if Regier had any authority, he would have signed those guys long ago. Regier is a smart GM. Larry Quinn is a douchebag that inexplicably got a chance to destroy the same franchise twice.

PTR

I have been with you on most of this

The Sabres have become a joke, they went from Cup contender/presidents trophy winner to missing the playoffs. Its not always the money either, most of them have left because the money was fine but they want long term deals, and the Sabres refused to go long term.

But the bolded point is where I disagree. please show proof of how Regier is handcuffed and that Quinn is really running the show. I have never heard a player leave and say that they were close to a deal until Quinn stepped in, or any player say something about him even being part of the equation. You can't go around saying that Regier is good because of previous FA signing or trades, but then blame Quinn when something bad happens, saying he is in charge.

I know everyone hates Quinn, and I am not saying he isn't horrible, but I would like to see the proof that Quinn is really in control, besides just that he speaks at the press conferences with Darcy, and he created the Slug logo.

I've never been into the NHL all that much, but when Golisano bought the team after the fiasco of the previous owner, he was a hero. When they had those 2-3 great season, everyone loved him. Now they have ONE down year, and everyone hates him.

What a bunch of hot pocket bandwagoners. No better than any other city's fans, no matter who claims otherwise

I've never been into the NHL all that much, but when Golisano bought the team after the fiasco of the previous owner, he was a hero. When they had those 2-3 great season, everyone loved him. Now they have ONE down year, and everyone hates him.

What a bunch of hot pocket bandwagoners. No better than any other city's fans, no matter who claims otherwise

You just said you don't follow the NHL, so you are just looking at the results and making your judgment without considering what actually went on. Yes, back-to-back ECF's and a President's Trophy are dandy. But if a team's management totally ruins a team, do you say "yeah but on average the last 3 years we're great"??? Maybe you, not me.

PTR

You just said you don't follow the NHL, so you are just looking at the results and making your judgment without considering what actually went on. Yes, back-to-back ECF's and a President's Trophy are dandy. But if a team's management totally ruins a team, do you say "yeah but on average the last 3 years we're great"??? Maybe you, not me.

PTR

I follow the NHL and I don't think the team is ruined at all. They're young and they suffered some pretty key injuries at the time they could least afford them, made worse by the fact that they floudered outta the gate (which was predictable).

Your "take" is simply more Chicken Littledom.

I follow the NHL and I don't think the team is ruined at all. They're young and they suffered some pretty key injuries at the time they could least afford them, made worse by the fact that they floudered outta the gate (which was predictable).

Your "take" is simply more Chicken Littledom.

And your take is more "head-in-the-sand". But we all have our opinions.

PTR

If Golisano does what Wilson did and cleans house, bringing in people we can trust like Levy and Jauron, then I will give him my support and buy tickets. It only took 2 years for the Bills to go from rock bottom, to a young, hard working playoff contender. They brought in people of character from top to bottom though. Marshawn Lynch doesn't cringe when he sees a tackler coming at him. Angelo Crowell gets up off the turf and tries to make a play when thrown down, he doesn't go crying to the refs. And most importantly, when the team could have quit week 4 because of all the crazy injuries, instead they tried harder and almost pulled of a shock in December.

The difference is, Ralph at almost 90 cared enough about his reputation to make a change. I doubt anything will be done since Quinn and Golisano have been down in the Dick Cheney Bunker since the Ice Bowl.

Wow! Jumping the gun just a little. Bills have done nothing yet. We still don't have a qb realistically. Like always, we have hope going into the season and thats all. Like any other year. To me their still the Bills and won't believe or even expect any success until I actually see it. Call me negative, but the Bills history the last decade or more has done nothing to make me buy into how great they are going to be.

Guest dog14787

PTR

I don't think anyone could have forseen how much damage losing Drury and Briere would have done to the Sabres. I mean sure they were two big keys to our success but it still seemed like the Sabres had enough talent and leadership remaining to go out and win hockey games with Miller at Goalie.

It did break my heart to lose Chris Drury though :thumbsup:

PTR

This, coming from a guy who's head is a cardboard box? :thumbsup:

Keeping Drury, Briere and Soupy would have added at least $10 to the $46 million payroll. Even if you dump Max or Spacek to free up funds, you've still got Miller's contract coming up, which would offset the savings. This team can not carry a $56 million (top-5) payroll, no matter how much fans B word.

Keeping Drury, Briere and Soupy would have added at least $10 to the $46 million payroll. Even if you dump Max or Spacek to free up funds, you've still got Miller's contract coming up, which would offset the savings. This team can not carry a $56 million (top-5) payroll, no matter how much fans B word.

what you're forgetting is that if they kept Drury and Briere, it's very likely they would never have been forced to pony up $10M for Vanek, so it's likely a wash. They might have lost Vanek in the process, but keeping Drury, Briere and Campbell would have resulted in a much better team for the same payroll.

I don't think anyone could have forseen how much damage losing Drury and Briere would have done to the Sabres. I mean sure they were two big keys to our success but it still seemed like the Sabres had enough talent and leadership remaining to go out and win hockey games with Miller at Goalie.

It did break my heart to lose Chris Drury though :thumbsup:

Actually, there were quit a few that said it would hurt the team, except they were all being attacked because of their "negativity" and that it had to be done so that they could re-sign guys like Campbell, Pomminville, and Miller. (Now Campbell had to go so they can re-sign Pominville and miller)

what you're forgetting is that if they kept Drury and Briere, it's very likely they would never have been forced to pony up $10M for Vanek, so it's likely a wash. They might have lost Vanek in the process, but keeping Drury, Briere and Campbell would have resulted in a much better team for the same payroll.

Don't forget the 4 #1 picks to boot. That said, Lowe in Edmonton would have never made that suicide play if the Sabres didn't just lose Drury and/or Briere. And Dog, I knew we'd miss Drury when I saw him win games in the last 10 seconds like he did against the Ranger in the playoffs. Guys like him you don't let go.

PTR

Says who? You don't get rid of natural 40-goal scorers under 25 years old. Period. And don't give me the four #1 picks argument--it's likely that only 1 or 2 would ever pan out, and doubtful that either would be as good as TV has the potential to be (with a real #1 center).

Briere's a nice player, but what will his game look like in a couple years. Same with Drury, although I can see him chugging along fine in his 30s. Soupy? No big loss IMO--Sekara's already showing signs that he can fill that role, maybe even better than Campbell.

Older players tend to become...older players. Good young players tend to get better.

What the Sabres need is a real #1 center, a physical D-man and a quality backup goalie to keep Miller from being worn down. Get rid of Max, Kotalek and use the #1 pick from San Jose as trade bait and the team could bounce back nicely next year.

Says who? You don't get rid of natural 40-goal scorers under 25 years old. Period. And don't give me the four #1 picks argument--it's likely that only 1 or 2 would ever pan out, and doubtful that either would be as good as TV has the potential to be (with a real #1 center).

Briere's a nice player, but what will his game look like in a couple years. Same with Drury, although I can see him chugging along fine in his 30s. Soupy? No big loss IMO--Sekara's already showing signs that he can fill that role, maybe even better than Campbell.

Older players tend to become...older players. Good young players tend to get better.

What the Sabres need is a real #1 center, a physical D-man and a quality backup goalie to keep Miller from being worn down. Get rid of Max, Kotalek and use the #1 pick from San Jose as trade bait and the team could bounce back nicely next year.

That is only if you use those #1's in the draft. The Sabres don't have to keep them, they can be great trade bait at the deadline to make moves, or if #1 draft picks are so bad, why did the Sabres give up one of their top defencemen to get one?

You do realize that the Sabres are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 4th year out of 6th? In a league where half the teams make the palyoffs, that is pretty awful.

Additionally, there is way too much smoke not to be fired. Almost every player who left said they'd say for less money if the Sabres had offered it to them sooner. When your fanbase just sold every game the last 2 seasons and bought that new ugly logo out of stores, it sends a horrible message to the fans. Fans have a right to be pissed and they should be.

As for Ralphie, I never got the reason people didn't like him. I'm 27, but I don't remember the Bills ever not paying a guy because they were being cheap. The only mistakes he made was trusting Donahue and not making sure Flutie started that playoff game. But other than that (and a field goal that went left a couple of feet), he is a borderline HOF owner who the city of Buffalo was lucky to have. And I think his final act is a group sent in place to keep the Bills here longterm (I pray anyways :thumbsup: ).

That is only if you use those #1's in the draft. The Sabres don't have to keep them, they can be great trade bait at the deadline to make moves, or if #1 draft picks are so bad, why did the Sabres give up one of their top defencemen to get one?

Guys that get traded at the deadline are usually rentals, like Soupy, where the alternative is getting nothing in return when they become FAs. You rarely see a useful (i.e., reasonable $$$) guy get traded for picks.

Sure they can..Why not..They make money?? Sell out the stadium sell out merchandise at ridiculous prices..Dont by the argument..They didnt sign them due to a case stupidity....We will see if the fans get fooled again next yr..