Dane Cook. Overrated or what?

The Dean

It could be a generationl thing that for old farts, Dane Cook just isn't funny, and for the life of us, we can't figure out how he can sell out 15K+ seat arenas. Of course comedy is subjective, but I still find it odd that this guys has broken all sales records for "comedy" albums. Must be the water.

Of course, if generation gap was the reason, how do I explain laughing on the floor at Buddy Hacket's HBO special some 30 years ago and Dean Martin's roasts? Those guys were my grandparents' generation, and they were funny.

Whether it's the delivery or performance art, I just don't find the guy funny, which to me should be among the main qualifications for a stand-up comic.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I must have a "remarkable memory" then, to remember something that I read. I guess you don't remember reading blog posts/news stories/etc 6 months after you read them? :censored:

I read the posts on the internets about it (and that blog) when the topic has come up on other forums. I watched the youtube videos, and the ytmnd. Yet I'm not supposed to remember any of that? :wallbash:

I remember things that are actually important. And I'm smart enough to dismiss things that aren't important or are misleading.

I read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" a long time ago and pretty much forgot about it until you brought it back up because it is so inconsequential. I have a hard time believing you (or anyone really) could give that much of a crap about it that you'd always have it in mind when Dane Cook came up. And I think the "evidence" that he steals jokes is pretty unconvincing.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :devil:

Which, as I pointed out, I dislike him because he doesn't actually tell any jokes.

Which doesn't actually mean anything. I've read that criticism of him about a thousand times in magazine articles but it really doesn't mean anything. He's on stage, he has a microphone, he brings up topics, and makes people laugh about them. Those sound like jokes to me.

I'm glad your most specific criticism of his act is something that doesn't even mean anything. :thumbsup:

and I'm providing evidence to the contrary (he takes crap because he steals jokes and acts like an ass).

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :censored::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

It could be a generationl thing that for old farts, Dane Cook just isn't funny, and for the life of us, we can't figure out how he can sell out 15K+ seat arenas. Of course comedy is subjective, but I still find it odd that this guys has broken all sales records for "comedy" albums. Must be the water.

Of course, if generation gap was the reason, how do I explain laughing on the floor at Buddy Hacket's HBO special some 30 years ago and Dean Martin's roasts? Those guys were my grandparents' generation, and they were funny.

Whether it's the delivery or performance art, I just don't find the guy funny, which to me should be among the main qualifications for a stand-up comic.

Buddy Hacket, now there is a blast from the past. He still alive?

I remember a line from one of his last HBO shows where he was talking about Bob Newhart or Carson or someone and he says 'he's so classy he gets out of the shower to take a piss. Now that's class!'.

Funny funny guy.

I've never been impressed with Dane. I don't care enough about him to hate him or go out of my way to put him down, but I've never really found him funny. There are a ton of no-name comedians on the Comedy Channel funnier than him.

I remember things that are actually important. And I'm smart enough to dismiss things that aren't important or are misleading.

I read about the "Yuk-Yuk Incident" a long time ago and pretty much forgot about it until you brought it back up because it is so inconsequential. I have a hard time believing you (or anyone really) could give that much of a crap about it that you'd always have it in mind when Dane Cook came up. And I think the "evidence" that he steals jokes is pretty unconvincing.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :wallbash:

Which doesn't actually mean anything. I've read that criticism of him about a thousand times in magazine articles but it really doesn't mean anything. He's on stage, he has a microphone, he brings up topics, and makes people laugh about them. Those sound like jokes to me.

I'm glad your most specific criticism of his act is something that doesn't even mean anything. :thumbsup:

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :devil::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

Maybe you should get rid of the Mandy Moore Picture from your avatar and replace it with a Dane Cook one (but leave the caption below). You sure seem to take this thing personally that someone doesn't like Dane Cook.

Who cares if other people don't like him. If you do fine, maybe you find him funny, put in a couple of his DVD's and watch them (maybe break a couple of them up with a Jimmy Fallon comedy special), laugh your @ss off, and go get in line with the other 12-16 year old girls buying Dane Cook tickets when he comes to your area.

Oh, and what a coincidence that it was the first thing you mentioned along with the three comics named in the "Controversy" section of his Wiki entry. :wallbash:

I'm so shocked that you're going to continue believing what you want to believe. SHOCKED.

No, the criticism means he just isn't funny, and lots of his material is lacking humorous punch lines. His "jokes" seem to be more his antics than his material.

Yeah, he "steals jokes." From Joe Rogan. :devil::censored: There are only so many topics in the world, guy. Lots of comediens talk about the exact same things. DC gets a ton of flack because he happens to be way more successful than pretty much everyone else.

I suppose this is why Carlos Mencia gets a lot of flak for stealing jokes too, while other successful comedians (Seinfeld, Rock, Murphy, Cosby, Carlin, Dangerfield, Regan, Pryor, Martin, Hedberg, Chappelle, Williams, Foxworthy, etc) don't?

I dunno If anyone has heard of Aries Spears but I saw him last summer when I was staying in Cleveland for the weekend of the HOF induction and he was hilarious, very underrated and I hope someday he makes it big.

I love his 30 minute CC standup special! Thought he was hilarious on Mad TV as well, back when it was good.

Maybe you should get rid of the Mandy Moore Picture from your avatar and replace it with a Dane Cook one (but leave the caption below). You sure seem to take this thing personally that someone doesn't like Dane Cook.

Wow, you really burned me. Maybe you should be a comedian. :lol:<_<

I actually don't care that some people don't like Dane Cook. I do care that looking down on Dane Cook is somehow this cheap way to appear to have great taste in comedy. That's why you hear "he doesn't really have any jokes" everywhere (and it still means nothing) and people citing his "controversial" material/act decisions. If you don't like him, that's fine. If you're digging for a reason not to like him, that's pathetic.

Who cares if other people don't like him. If you do fine, maybe you find him funny, put in a couple of his DVD's and watch them (maybe break a couple of them up with a Jimmy Fallon comedy special), laugh your @ss off, and go get in line with the other 12-16 year old girls buying Dane Cook tickets when he comes to your area.
Yes, I am a 12 year old girl and I have a poster of Jimmy Fallon on my wall. Wow, you are so super funny. No, seriously, that's some groundbreaking sh-- right there. Jimmy Fallon? No way! Indeed, with a quick wit like that, I'm much more prone to taking your opinions of comedians seriously. <_<<_<

You really trying to score points with the "everyone who likes Dane Cook is a teenage girl" card? That's sad.

I'm so shocked that you're going to continue believing what you want to believe. SHOCKED.

Just cite your sources next time.

No, the criticism means he just isn't funny, and lots of his material is lacking humorous punch lines. His "jokes" seem to be more his antics than his material.

But you didn't say he "isn't funny." You said he doesn't have jokes, which is the same tired cliche criticism people have been throwing at him for years.

Not all jokes need "humorous punch lines." And certainly not all comedians rely on them. I would say most don't. Delivery/"antics" mean a lot when you're performing on stage.

I suppose this is why Carlos Mencia gets a lot of flak for stealing jokes too, while other successful comedians (Seinfeld, Rock, Murphy, Cosby, Carlin, Dangerfield, Regan, Pryor, Martin, Hedberg, Chappelle, Williams, Foxworthy, etc) don't?
CM gets a lot of crap because his stuff isn't very original and a lot of it isn't very good. But no one would care if he wasn't successful. Also, you can't use CM criticism to validate criticism of Dane Cook. The evidence that he's "stealing jokes" is flimsy at best, especially when you (and pretty much everyone) is acknowledging that his "antics" are what sells the jokes. How could someone who "doesn't tell jokes" also be "stealing jokes" from the really talented comedians? Hmmm. :lol:

at least a couple of them have been accused of stealing jokes. Hell, Foxworthy bought the "You might be a redneck" bit. So this claim doesn't hold that much water

I bet you're a riot at parties.

Actually, I am to a point. I may not be bust out side splitting funny (and I never claimed I was), but I have been called funny, humorous and easy going. I have also been told I have a great sense of humor.

Cook has his moments but he's not as great as his legion of fans think he is. As mentioned guys like Louis CK and Patton Oswald are much funnier. I used to like Jim Norton too but he absolutely bombed on his last HBO special. Another guy that gets me going who hadn't seen mentioned is Dave Attell. In terms of "old school" stand up comedians, I'm a big time George Carlin. I also feel that Bill Cosby's Himself is one of the funniest routines I've seen on tv and heard. I say heard as my parents had it on vinyl and would listen to it too.

at least a couple of them have been accused of stealing jokes. Hell, Foxworthy bought the "You might be a redneck" bit. So this claim doesn't hold that much water

Theres a difference between buying and stealing...

Cook has his moments but he's not as great as his legion of fans think he is. As mentioned guys like Louis CK and Patton Oswald are much funnier. I used to like Jim Norton too but he absolutely bombed on his last HBO special. Another guy that gets me going who hadn't seen mentioned is Dave Attell. In terms of "old school" stand up comedians, I'm a big time George Carlin. I also feel that Bill Cosby's Himself is one of the funniest routines I've seen on tv and heard. I say heard as my parents had it on vinyl and would listen to it too.

:lol:

Cosby is the master of comedic storytelling. It is hard to believe that his material is 20, 30, and even 40 years old, and still funny as hell.

One of my all time favorite bits is "My Father Confused Me".

"... from the age of 1 to 7, I thought my name was Jesus Christ ...."

I love his 30 minute CC standup special! Thought he was hilarious on Mad TV as well, back when it was good.

He seems like a really good guy too, I got the chance to chat with him after his show(actually bought an audio cd with some of his stuff on it and he signed it) and he seems real down to earth. Like I said he is a guy I would like to see get a break. He does incredible impersonations.