Why are we high on Ko Simpson?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's from Rock Hill, SC.. that's good enough for me!

Oh yeah, having got his autograph last week helps too!

Seriously, he played solid his rookie year. He didn't get a chance to break a sweat last year. This year is key. Everyone who knows him here in Rock Hill says his ankle is 100 %, Most importantly his mama says it is 100 %, so he'll have to prove it on the field. Important year for Ko!

Go Bills! GO Ko!

From right below Roch Hill in Chester and watched him in high school and at USC. He's definitely a legit safety, with time he'll show everyone why he was the steal of that years draft.

Because, compared to Wilson, he's a superstar.

Simpson's a lot better but Wilson wasn't as bad as you seem to think. He had two interceptions. For a guy just learning the safety position he has a lot of upside. I think he's a great backup safety. I don't think he played horribly last year. In fact he was a big reason the D didn't collapse after all the injuries.

Simpson's a lot better but Wilson wasn't as bad as you seem to think. He had two interceptions. For a guy just learning the safety position he has a lot of upside. I think he's a great backup safety. I don't think he played horribly last year. In fact he was a big reason the D didn't collapse after all the injuries.

Save yourself the typing. I'm not convinced nor can you convince me.

A truly honest question. I need to be reminded why 80% of the board is so high on this guy. Not saying that its wrong, just that I find it difficult to evaluate the secondary and would love to have it spelled out for me.

Simpson and Keith Ellison were equally overhyped as rookie "starters". Contrary to all the glowing remarks I've read here, Ko Simpson was the weak point in the secondary as a rookie and was just plain bad on a defense that couldn't stop anyone in the preseason this past year. IMO, the Bills said what they thought of Simpson when they tried to replace him in free agency by making a run at Marlon McCree. He's not very fast or quick or physical and as a rookie was late getting to the ball. The last part is key, he needs to be prepared and anticipate exceptionally to make up for that lack of great physical skill.

Simpson and Keith Ellison were equally overhyped as rookie "starters". Contrary to all the glowing remarks I've read here, Ko Simpson was the weak point in the secondary as a rookie and was just plain bad on a defense that couldn't stop anyone in the preseason this past year. IMO, the Bills said what they thought of Simpson when they tried to replace him in free agency by making a run at Marlon McCree. He's not very fast or quick or physical and as a rookie was late getting to the ball. The last part is key, he needs to be prepared and anticipate exceptionally to make up for that lack of great physical skill and mental acumen.

added part in bold.

added part in bold.

With Youboty being buried on the depth chart, and maybe Simpson joining him, AND with the apparent reach for Whitner,

the 2006 Marv Levy draft is starting to look not so hot.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...0&type=team

There are 2 first round picks starting, for the 2nd worst D in the league in 2007, which is somewhat misleading, but I don't see

McCargo or Whitner as anything near difference makers.

Flame away.

Simpson and Keith Ellison were equally overhyped as rookie "starters". Contrary to all the glowing remarks I've read here, Ko Simpson was the weak point in the secondary as a rookie and was just plain bad on a defense that couldn't stop anyone in the preseason this past year. IMO, the Bills said what they thought of Simpson when they tried to replace him in free agency by making a run at Marlon McCree. He's not very fast or quick or physical and as a rookie was late getting to the ball. The last part is key, he needs to be prepared and anticipate exceptionally to make up for that lack of great physical skill.

He was a rookie who came out of college early. I may be crazy, but there is a chance that perhaps a 23 year old might, :) , improve. The Bills going after McCree means nothing. You always need quality depth on the secondary. By the same token, the Bills didn't sign McCree, so maybe that was an indictation of what they thought about Simpson.

In 2006, the Bills' defense was 7th in both against the pass and giving up 20+ yards passes. This year, they finished 29th against the pass and 32th at giving up passing plays of 20+ yards. Perhaps, just maybe, losing our starting free safety from 2006 might have caused this huge dropoff.

Now, I already know your response. Nate Clements was the real difference in the dropoff. But not so fast my friend. The 49ers were 26th against the pass and 21st in 20+ yards plays in 2006. Thanks to the big money they spent on Clements and Michael Lewis, they improved to a whooping 22nd against the pass and 29th in 20+ yard pass plays in 2007. So perhaps, Nasty Nate might have been a tad overrated.

Seriously, there is nothing more wrong than judging a player's rookie season too harshly. Simpson made some really big plays as a rookie and it is obviously that the pass defense was much worse off without him. Let's let the guy play more than one season before we give up on him. :P

He was a rookie who came out of college early. I may be crazy, but there is a chance that perhaps a 23 year old might, :) , improve. The Bills going after McCree means nothing. You always need quality depth on the secondary. By the same token, the Bills didn't sign McCree, so maybe that was an indictation of what they thought about Simpson.

In 2006, the Bills' defense was 7th in both against the pass and giving up 20+ yards passes. This year, they finished 29th against the pass and 32th at giving up passing plays of 20+ yards. Perhaps, just maybe, losing our starting free safety from 2006 might have caused this huge dropoff.

Now, I already know your response. Nate Clements was the real difference in the dropoff. But not so fast my friend. The 49ers were 26th against the pass and 21st in 20+ yards plays in 2006. Thanks to the big money they spent on Clements and Michael Lewis, they improved to a whooping 22nd against the pass and 29th in 20+ yard pass plays in 2007. So perhaps, Nasty Nate might have been a tad overrated.

Seriously, there is nothing more wrong than judging a player's rookie season too harshly. Simpson made some really big plays as a rookie and it is obviously that the pass defense was much worse off without him. Let's let the guy play more than one season before we give up on him. :P

That goes for all positions.

With Youboty being buried on the depth chart, and maybe Simpson joining him, AND with the apparent reach for Whitner,

There are 2 first round picks starting, for the 2nd worst D in the league in 2007, which is somewhat misleading, but I don't see

Flame away.

Simpson started as a rookie and got hurt, now he is suddenly buried on the bench??? :P

Whitner has been forced to play in a secondary with 2 UDFAs, still put up similiar stats to Bob Sanders in his first 2 seasons, and now he's not a playmaker???

McCcargo missed most of his rookie season with an injury and came back this year and made some great plays in the backfield, but I guess he has no hope for the future.

Youboty had his mother die in his first season and finished up last season making a pick against McNabb.

You're right. The future is hopelessly and Marv is a failure. Gotta love judging a group of players where not one is over 24 years old. That's always smart. :)

Simpson started as a rookie and got hurt, now he is suddenly buried on the bench??? :P

Whitner has been forced to play in a secondary with 2 UDFAs, still put up similiar stats to Bob Sanders in his first 2 seasons, and now he's not a playmaker???

McCcargo missed most of his rookie season with an injury and came back this year and made some great plays in the backfield, but I guess he has no hope for the future.

Youboty had his mother die in his first season and finished up last season making a pick against McNabb.

You're right. The future is hopelessly and Marv is a failure. Gotta love judging a group of players where not one is over 24 years old. That's always smart. :)

Yes, ignore the facts: Buffalo was ranked 29'th in the league against the pass in 2007. I'm sure it had nothing to do with Clements being gone either.

So now we're supposed to factor in age?

I'll tell you another thing right now: the Bills "hydra" GM better get it together quick, because Parcells and Miami aren't waiting for another Buffalo/Donahoe

five year plan to get a team into the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...amp;Submit=Find

Flame away.

This is foolish logic. You don't blame the incoming rookies for the inept defense the last few years. I don't know where you are getting this "buried on the depth chart" line. Simpson started a full season, broke his leg 5 minutes into the next one, but now he's "buried." Why the ridiculous negativity?

DB's aren't judged on interceptions. Thomas Smith rarely got an interception. I wish we had a CB as good as he was.

This is foolish logic. You don't blame the incoming rookies for the inept defense the last few years. I don't know where you are getting this "buried on the depth chart" line. Simpson started a full season, broke his leg 5 minutes into the next one, but now he's "buried." Why the ridiculous negativity?

Because the secondary sucks?

DB's aren't judged on interceptions. Thomas Smith rarely got an interception. I wish we had a CB as good as he was.

The ability to get turnovers is huge. Last year was the first year that Wilson saw significant time at the safety position having been a WR before. He played great for a guy that has so little experience there. As I said he has huge upside and he could go to over half the teams and be the second string player right now. I can't imagine any team not being interested in him at all. He is a huge depth guy. He is only going to get better and better. :nana:

A truly honest question. I need to be reminded why 80% of the board is so high on this guy. Not saying that its wrong, just that I find it difficult to evaluate the secondary and would love to have it spelled out for me.

why are we questioning it before he even gets a chance to show one way or another? keep it posi bro.

why are we questioning it before he even gets a chance to show one way or another? keep it posi bro.

This board is full of people who think the cup is half empty. The problem is they are more than half full of bull. :nana:

I Billieve until I'm given a big reason not to Billieve. ;)