Why are we high on Ko Simpson?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A truly honest question. I need to be reminded why 80% of the board is so high on this guy. Not saying that its wrong, just that I find it difficult to evaluate the secondary and would love to have it spelled out for me.

Jim Leonhard

(who is not on the depth chart...is he a FA?)

He's from Rock Hill, SC.. that's good enough for me!

Oh yeah, having got his autograph last week helps too!

Seriously, he played solid his rookie year. He didn't get a chance to break a sweat last year. This year is key. Everyone who knows him here in Rock Hill says his ankle is 100 %, Most importantly his mama says it is 100 %, so he'll have to prove it on the field. Important year for Ko!

Go Bills! GO Ko!

The guy is an athlete. Period.

He started from the moment he walked on the field as a freshman in college. He was a ball hawk, can lay the big hit, and was well known throughout the country.

PLUS, he just snapped his leg in half last season. How can you not root for the guy?

I'm pumped for this defense. Poz, Ko, Stroud, Johnson, Mitchell, James... all basically new additions. It's going to be exciting.

The guy was a great player at SC.

The guy played in the ultra-competitive SEC and was the SEC freshman of the year. He was All-SEC twice and All-American twice.

He was projected as a first round pick and somehow fell to the 4th round, which made him a friggin steal.

Ko is a great athlete. Expect him to emerge as a playmaker this year if he is indeed healthy and plays the whole season.

didn't you see the article on bb.com? it's the offseason and every time a bills related article is posted on some player that we're hoping makes a big jump this season (basically every player), so comes the renewed interest.

but i'm actually a fan of his - him and pos were the two d losses that bothered me most last year.

What impressed me the most about Ko was how him and Whitner as rookies seemed to develop excellent chemistry. Notice that with the two of them on the field we rarely if ever were beaten or even tested deep. Usually teams see 4th round rookie starters in the secondary and pick on them, but not in this case. Also, though Ko made only a few game-changing plays they did tend to come at crucial times. In the Dolphins game, his sack of Culpepper was a huge momentum swing for us and in the Green Bay game that same year it was Ko's INT that basically sealed the victory for us.

While I dont think he is pro bowl caliber yet, i feel more than comfortable going into camp with him as our starter. I believe that our depth at the safety position is very good regardless of the fact that we don't boast many true "stars" there. Scott and Wilson should help in the sub packages and our starters are solid. Also, if James can stay healthy and Youboty lives up to a fraction of his potential(and don't stone me for saying this, but I think there were times late last year where he started to show it) then we could have a pretty mean pass D.

The thing that impressed me most about him in his rookie year was his range. He's runs with long-strides and therefore has good closing speed in the open field... a MUST in this defense, which so often puts Whitner near the line where he thrives. That said, Ko often had to use his closing speed in Year 1 because he was sometimes caught out of position and had to frantically scramble back into the play. What I was hoping to see from him in Year 2, which is now Year 3, is that his football IQ would catch up to his mad skills.

A truly honest question. I need to be reminded why 80% of the board is so high on this guy. Not saying that its wrong, just that I find it difficult to evaluate the secondary and would love to have it spelled out for me.

I think I was excited to see Ko and Donte grow together as a team in the secondary..Kinda like Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris in Dallas yrs ago..They just complemented each others skills and I thought Ko and Donte could do the same..I was as dissapointed in his injury as I was Pozs...I thought he would really grow last year...Now we will have to see how he comes back from a bad injury and if he can improve...

Why are we high on Ko Simpson?

Because he's a great player. Many people were calling him the steal of the draft after his rookie season. I was really bummed when he got hurt.

He's from Rock Hill, SC.. that's good enough for me!

Oh yeah, having got his autograph last week helps too!

Seriously, he played solid his rookie year. He didn't get a chance to break a sweat last year. This year is key. Everyone who knows him here in Rock Hill says his ankle is 100 %, Most importantly his mama says it is 100 %, so he'll have to prove it on the field. Important year for Ko!

Go Bills! GO Ko!

I'm willing to give him a year to come back fully from his injury.

I've got a Score Inscriptions Select card that's autographed by Simpson! :thumbsup::) Gotta love it! :)

Why is KO Simpson so high? Because he enjoys the reefer, goes down by the see saw smokes a J.....Oh wait why are we high on KO Simpson? because we enjoy the reefer. And he had a great rookie year and showed a lot of promise until his leg snapped like a Twix bar..........mmmmm twix.

The thing that impressed me most about him in his rookie year was his range. He's runs with long-strides and therefore has good closing speed in the open field... a MUST in this defense, which so often puts Whitner near the line where he thrives. That said, Ko often had to use his closing speed in Year 1 because he was sometimes caught out of position and had to frantically scramble back into the play. What I was hoping to see from him in Year 2, which is now Year 3, is that his football IQ would catch up to his mad skills.

YES!

He was making great strides in preseason too. I don't know if anyone was able to watch the games, but there were a few 3rd down plays where Simpson showed up at the last second, and literally knocked the guy out as he had the ball touch his hands. He reminded me of how Mike Peca would blow people up with their head down. He just had PERFECT timing, and if he was that hungry in preseason, I would think some receiving corps would be mighty nervous with Simpson and Whitner patrolling the field in the regular season.

YES!

He was making great strides in preseason too. I don't know if anyone was able to watch the games, but there were a few 3rd down plays where Simpson showed up at the last second, and literally knocked the guy out as he had the ball touch his hands. He reminded me of how Mike Peca would blow people up with their head down. He just had PERFECT timing, and if he was that hungry in preseason, I would think some receiving corps would be mighty nervous with Simpson and Whitner patrolling the field in the regular season.

What you and UB said is both spot on. It's why Simpson when watching him is rather impressive. I also feel that other then clements he was a huge reason in 06, why our pass defense was 7th in the league. Why I also believe the bills had the fewest 40+ yard pass receptions against them in the league that year. Quite an impressive feat, when you're starting 2 rookie safeties. As good as Simpsons closing burst is. He does have one minor problem. He did it in college too. Instead of making plays on the ball, he'll choose to go for the knockout hit.

Which is why at times he'll lose ground on receivers, instead of playing the ball. There's nothing I appreciate more, then a safety who's willing to knock your block off. Simpson has to learn the fine line, between taking chances, and intimdating receivers. Clean up on his timing a little bit, and I really believe he'll be a hell of a player. I actually thought he was the more impressive safety between him and Whitner in 06. Not a knock on Donte. Just the small things I noticed.

He's got a cool name.