Deepest D in the league?

Matthew (Buffalo, New York): I've heard talk about moving Dante Whitner to free safety to allow him to make more plays but doesn't this cut Ko Simpson another VERY GOOD player out of the mix?

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:46 PM ET ) Matthew, the Bills injuries last year allowed some of the backups to showcase their skills. Buffalo may have the deepest set of defensive talent of any team in the league because of this, and I think they are going to be willing to make some moves they otherwise wouldn't be willing to make. Simpson as a strong backup would be quite a plus for any team.

Matthew (Buffalo, New York): I guess that is true some guys such as George Wilson, Jim Leonard and John DiGorgio really stepped up but then who do we plug in at SS? Wilson? The draft?

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:49 PM ET ) I could see Wilson in that role.

And one more:

Johnny(Queens): Who has turned out to be a better player so far in their young career's? Micheal Huff or Donte Whitner? Mel Kiper said Whitner was a reach but Huff was a great pick! Thats sad!

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:57 PM ET ) Johnny, from a talent perspective, I think Mel got it right at the time. The Bills have just done a better job of utilizing the talent.

I could see "deep" in terms of experience, but not deep in talent.

Don't you think experience helps the depth player in terms of know-how and confidence?

I think that's especially true on our team because of the injuries.

And one more:

Johnny(Queens): Who has turned out to be a better player so far in their young career's? Micheal Huff or Donte Whitner? Mel Kiper said Whitner was a reach but Huff was a great pick! Thats sad!

SportsNation KC Joyner: (4:57 PM ET ) Johnny, from a talent perspective, I think Mel got it right at the time. The Bills have just done a better job of utilizing the talent.

In other words, Mel was wrong....again. :thumbsup:

I guess it depends on what "deepest" means.

I suppose...the 30th or so ranked defense qualifies as one of the "deepest"... :thumbsup:

Yeah, and if they based points on how many yards you accumulate, that might actually matter. Last year, I saw a defense that stayed in several games last year in which the offense could contribute next to nothing all day long. I'd say they were an above average defensive unit, and thats WITHOUT Poz, Simpson, Crowell for a time, Ellison for a time, Denney, Stroud and Kawika.

Yeah, and if they based points on how many yards you accumulate, that might actually matter. Last year, I saw a defense that stayed in several games last year in which the offense could contribute next to nothing all day long. I'd say they were an above average defensive unit, and thats WITHOUT Poz, Simpson, Crowell for a time, Ellison for a time, Denney, Stroud and Kawika.

Agree. Good post, because it made me realize who Wasn't There last year. To see it in print--Wow.

:thumbsup: I am even more optistic after reading this!

:thumbsup: I am even more optistic after reading this!

Along these same lines, the following exchange was in last week's chat:

Mikey (Lackawanna,NY): KC, With the additions of Marcus Stroud, Kawika Mitchell, and a healthy Paul"POZ"Posluszny coming back this season! How good of a defense do you think the Buffalo Bills can turn out to be?

KC Joyner: (4:30 PM ET ) Mikey, Bills fans should be positively ecstatic about the possibilities of their 2008 defense. Mitchell's metrics in 2007 were good and the Bills backups did a very solid job last year. Add the injured starters and Mitchell back into the mix and Buffalo has strong starters and maybe the best depth of any defense in the NFL.

:thumbsup:

Exactly, the Bills depth on defense is really good. They have upgraded at LB and DL through FA and they'll upgrade at safety, LB and DL by getting the starters healthy. I think the D can be outstanding this year and I don't think they're done adding to it.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. On defense, the Bills have tons of good athletes with a lot of experience. Especially for being relatively young players in the nfl. This creates a really good competition at almost every position. The coaching staff isn't afraid to use our players in packages that will utilize thier abilities. I expect that even with the addition of Mitchell we will still see a lot of DiGorgio, and Ellison in third and long situations. THis team has no holes in the secondary. Scott, Wendling, and Wilson are a great fit to backup starters Donte and Ko. Wilson may even push Ko into a backup role which would be great. I'm loving the 3 safety package with Donte, Ko and Wilson. At LB we have a 2 backup lb that are great in pass coverage but not so physical in run support. That is great, they fit in the dime, nickel and quarter packages great to keep our starters healthy and fresh to defend the run. CB isn't such a big problem because Greer played great last year. The addition of James combined with the continued developement of Youboty and King leaves us in great position. So as far as the defense is concerned all we need is a Animal rushing the passer and we could potentially be dominant, dangerous, and disastrous. I can realistically wait to address that need just because the face that we signed Kelsay to a pretty decent contract and the addition of stroud and johnson just might help our ends realize thier potential statisticly.

Finishing 30th in yards and 18th in points is NOT above average, no matter how you spin it.

I do not know what defense you saw, but the one I saw played opportunistic ball. As long as the competition was willing to make mistakes, the Bills D generally took advantage of them. However, when the opportunities did NOT present themselves, the D got pushed around like a rag doll.

Hopefully, the addition of Stroud and Mitchell will stop that, but until we see the defense in action, that's all we have: we hope it will work.

Confusing people with preconceived ideas with facts is very cruel!

Finishing 30th in yards and 18th in points is NOT above average, no matter how you spin it.

I do not know what defense you saw, but the one I saw played opportunistic ball. As long as the competition was willing to make mistakes, the Bills D generally took advantage of them. However, when the opportunities did NOT present themselves, the D got pushed around like a rag doll.

Hopefully, the addition of Stroud and Mitchell will stop that, but until we see the defense in action, that's all we have: we hope it will work.

Here we go again putting facts into a discussion about "depth." Of course the Bills have plenty of depth. For the past two years they've been using also-rans and never will be's in and out of their defensive lineup. Guys got PT and weren't NFL caliber, but the team wanted us to think they were.

Sure, Rome wasn't built in a day, but geez, will we remember Kyle Williams, Larry Tripplett, John DiGiorgio, Keith Ellison, Tim Anderson, Kiwaukee Thomas, Jason Webster, and Jim Leonhard five years from now as average NFL players?

The 30th ranked defense should improve with the additions of Stroud and Mitchell. The 30th ranked offense is another story altogether and thankfully not being addressed here.

Cue the "we had 17 guys on IR mention."

I call the defense I saw above average because I don't value total yards as a measurement of how effective a unit is. Therefore, from my point of view, the Bills defense would appear from the stats to be the 18th best defense in the league, due to points allowed.

Except that I feel the defense was hampered by an offense that went beyond being casually bad. If the offense would've gotten touchdowns instead of field goals once in awhile, the defense could have played from a position of strength rather than a position of desperation...and opposing offenses would've had to call their plays with more urgency.

This line of thought leads me to believe that, with an offense you at least call close to average in terms of getting points on the board, the defense would have moved up at least three spots, meaning they'd pass into the top half of the league, and become (by definition) above average.

You by no means have to agree with that assessment, and it seems like most here don't, but thats just the way I see things. I feel the defense was really hampered by the incompetence of the offense, and put into difficult positions.

The addition of James combined with the continued developement of Youboty and King leaves us in great position

who is king???????

Maybe he thinks Eric King is still here?