We will NOT take a WR

Chronic wrist problem? It had never been a problem prior to the spring of '07 and he had a major surgery on it just in October. Is it really that much of a suprise that he's still feeling some ill effects?

Sorry, but I'll trust the evaluation of the Bills' doctors on this one, just like I trusted their evaluation on Marshawn Lynch's supposed 'chronic back problems' last year.

Good God man! How could you trust an educated expert over yourself like most of the posters here. Why, why that's logical!!!

The Bills draft 11th. Your promoting a guy who might be a 2nd or 3rd round quality player, who is going to go higher than that because talent levels at the position are poor this draft. So the question is, do we want to take your Detoit Lion-like approach and draft him there anyway, or draft someone who will help the team out more by being vastly more talented at their own position, as the better teams in the league would do. I'll go with the better team's strategy and leave you adoring the Lions.

Ok dimwit. What about this don't you understand;

If your argument is that he may be the second best receiver but is still third round talent then again I'll disagree. I think his wrist injury has rated him lower than he should be.

Ok let me explain this to you. If your argument is... (This means if you believe)... that he may be the second best receiver but is still third round talent...(This means that according to you he's third round talent) then again I'll disagree.... (This means I don't think he's third round talent and believe you are wrong about your judgment.) I think his wrist injury has rated him lower than he should be... (This means I think he's first round talent and that the only reason I don't think some people see him as a high first round pick is due to his injury.) I may not have said it in this thread but I have in others and I think it would go without saying here but because your reading and comprehension skills are very poor I'll spell it out. I would only see him as a high first rounder if the Bills medical staff has cleared him.

So you are arguing the wrong point. Your argument should be that he's not first round talent and not that I, in your opinion, think the Bills should reach incredibly for talent due to need.

BTW, the Lions haven't reached for the receivers they've taken as you seem to believe. In fact Calvin Johnson was considered the best player in last years draft. The knock on the Lions has been taking the same position in the first round year after year.

Also, the DL talent is believed to be deeper than the WR talent is in this draft. That means that Buffalo can probably get a better DL in the second or third round than receiver and still not lose much in grades of DL talent.

Also, the Bills depth at DL, thanks to the FA signings, is better at DL than at WR. WR is much more of a need for Buffalo. As I said before there are only four DL that I would rate higher than Sweed and if one of them is there the Bills should take him. The Bills supposedly "reached" for Whitner but he's better than the Safeties taken ahead of him. Marshawn Lynch, if he was a reach, is the second best rookie RB in the NFL last year. Those "reaches" don't seem to matter. If Buffalo had selected Andre Reed in the second round of the 1986 draft they would have been "reaching" but he was a lot better than the WR's taken ahead of him. Where a guy is taken vs. his grade is greatly overrated. Should the Bills pass up a player with a first round grade for a player with a third round grade? No, but in the end production is all that matters. If the Pets* had taken Tom Brady in the third round they would have been "reaching" on draft day but now they wouldn't be seen as "reaching".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference last year is there were only 2 first round caliber RB's. This as opposed to the WR class of 08 which does not reflect true first round talents.

Mags and ESPN saying a guy is the top of their class means nothing. I'm sure they've ranked their top FB's, K's, and P's as well. It doesn't say the top ranked players at those positions are first rounders.

If the Bills don't grab a WR in the first, I can't see them having their guy at 41 either. They'll almost have to make a move.

Not to mention that a RB is also a more favorable position in the first round. It's a spot that the player can immediately contribute in a starting role. You're making a commitment to the 1st round dollars and the guaranteed money, and in return you're likely to get the very best years of that player's career even if he simply plays out a 5 year contract and moves on.

At WR the whole thing changes- even a real 1st round quality WR is likely to require half his contract to start showing how good he will be- and if he is a good WR the peak of his career is then beyond his first contract. Free Agency has been the far more effective way to take a WR expected to contribute right away. And adding a WR to our roster who won't be expected to contribute right away in any substantial way makes a top 30 pick for one pretty hard to justify.

The only reason Sweed is being downgraded is because of his wrist injury. If that's ok then I see no reason he shouldn't be taken at #11. Yes it will take a couple of years for him to acclimate to the NFL game but then next year do we put off taking a receiver early because it will take them two years to develop? What about the year after that? FA WR's that are any good and come at a reasonable price don't fall into FA. A team has to draft a WR.

Don't make it out like wr is a tough position to fill. That's nonsense. More proven wr will change teams this offseason than any other positon, and the prices aren't astronomical by any means. Superstar wr even change teams more than practically any other position as well. Really want a big young wr? Trade a #2 to Detroit for Roy Williams. He's been an All Pro and is a much greater big play threat than either Kelly or Sweed project to be. Hell, I heard Detroit might even take a 2009 #2. Ocho Stinko may even be available. He's actually good for 1400 yards per season. I just don't see using a premium draft pick and guaranteeing $10M plus on guys like Kelly or Sweed who project to be "USC" Mike Williams or Reggie Williams at this level......good prospects who lack speed and quickness. History is a valuable tool on draft day. Round one should be for explosive, dominant athletes, not posession wr's.

Don't make it out like wr is a tough position to fill. That's nonsense. More proven wr will change teams this offseason than any other positon, and the prices aren't astronomical by any means. Superstar wr even change teams more than practically any other position as well. Really want a big young wr? Trade a #2 to Detroit for Roy Williams. He's been an All Pro and is a much greater big play threat than either Kelly or Sweed project to be. Hell, I heard Detroit might even take a 2009 #2. Ocho Stinko may even be available. He's actually good for 1400 yards per season. I just don't see using a premium draft pick and guaranteeing $10M plus on guys like Kelly or Sweed who project to be "USC" Mike Williams or Reggie Williams at this level......good prospects who lack speed and quickness. History is a valuable tool on draft day. Round one should be for explosive, dominant athletes, not posession wr's.

I'm not so sure it is that easy to fill. It certainly hasn't been for the Bills, who have blown 2 second round picks in recent years for decent, if unspectacular situational players (granted, one is an excellent punt returner) and a 4th on a special teamer. Its not just WRs. This team is just short of terrible at acquiring talent offensively after R1.

That said, I also share the concern over the talent level of Kelly and Sweed. My completely unfounded and unprofessional opinion of both is that they are true boom-or-bust type guys. They're either going to have the ability to separate in the NFL, or they aren't, which means they're probably either going to be really good or really terrible with no in between. Watching them both, I'm leaning towards believing that both have the short area quickness to make it in the NFL, but I'm not 100% convinced of it.

Usually by this time of year, I've locked onto a particular prospect that I believe they should pick. This year, I'm not entirely even convinced of position yet. WR/TE is far and away the biggest need on this team, IMO, but while I'd love to see them get another 'playmaker' and would support a pick of Sweed or Kelly if that's what they do, I'm not quite sure I'm ready to endorse either one prior to the draft at this point.

Round one should be for explosive, dominant athletes, not posession wr's.

That oughta' be a sig line.

What's your take on Carlson and how quick he'll help the team that drafts him?

Neither Kelly nor Sweed seem to have the ability to separate from their defender. I don't care if a guy doesn't run a 4.3, but they've got to run precise routes and get into space. Too often, fans are in awe when a guy has size, straight line speed, and comes from a marquee program.

Looking back over the past few years, too many guys fitting this profile have failed because they're not able to just beat guys with physical attributes. Troy Williamson, Charles Rogers, and Mike Williams come to mind within the past few years who fit the above criteria of size and decent speed.

Neither Kelly nor Sweed seem to have the ability to separate from their defender. I don't care if a guy doesn't run a 4.3, but they've got to run precise routes and get into space. Too often, fans are in awe when a guy has size, straight line speed, and comes from a marquee program.

Looking back over the past few years, too many guys fitting this profile have failed because they're not able to just beat guys with physical attributes. Troy Williamson, Charles Rogers, and Mike Williams come to mind within the past few years who fit the above criteria of size and decent speed.

I agree about the height/speed thing. You see plenty of that with these posts about 'sleeper' picks, where guys suddenly become message board all pros because they're 6'4 and can run a 4.5. Never mind that they never caught more than 20 passes in a season.

In the end, I think that if they select a WR at 11, its probably going to be Devin Thomas. He's the only one that I can't question athletically and think is extremely talented. That said, there's also that huge question of having only one year of production. He wouldn't be the first highly talented one-year wonder to bomb in the NFL. I usually like to see a player have three solid, productive years if they're to be a first round pick.

Badol, thanks for this. To tell you the truth, I was weakening in terms of wanting a first round receiver (for obvious reasons).

I am all for a trade for Williams, but even this would leave us with nothing at TE. I will never be sold on Royal as a guy who can catch the football.

Would you do us a favor and tell us of any DL that could fall to us? While you are at it, are there any blockers worth taking at #11? Btw, I have seen this kid Jordy Nelson on youtube, and he looks very good. Where do you think he will go?

Happy Easter to you and your family! <_<

Guest dog14787

Malcom Kelly does have the ability to seperate and get free , he also does well in traffic. My only problem with Malcom Kelly is his ability to break tackles. 0:)

Happy Easter everyone <_<

ESPN has Limas Sweed listed as the 18th best player in the draft.

Glenn Dorsey (4) and Sedrick Ellis (6) are the only DT's listed higher overall.

Chris Long (2), Vernon Gholston (7), Derrick Harvey (15) and Phillip Merling (17) are the DE's rated ahead of him.

Dorsey and Ellis will not be there unless every team before Buffalo forgets that the first round is now only 10 minutes and forfeits their picks.

Chris Long and Vernon Gholston will be gone by #11 too. Derrick Harvey would strictly be a situational pass rusher due to his problems in run defense. Merling is not a great pass rusher and the Bills already have DE's that can tackle better than they can rush the passer. Anyway taking the 18th ranked guy over the 17th ranked guy isn't a stretch.

Draftcountdown.com has Sweed listed as the 12th best player in the draft with only Long, Dorsey, Gholston and Ellis listed higher.

Ontheclockdraft.com is very close to what ESPN has listed.

I don't see where taking Sweed is considered a huge reach. <_<

IMO, the best guy for the Bills on DL is Jason Jones. He's the perfect backup player with a good upside. He can play inside at DT and outside at DE. He should be around in the third round.

Guest dog14787
ESPN has Limas Sweed listed as the 18th best player in the draft.

Glenn Dorsey (4) and Sedrick Ellis (6) are the only DT's listed higher overall.

Chris Long (2), Vernon Gholston (7), Derrick Harvey (15) and Phillip Merling (17) are the DE's rated ahead of him.

Dorsey and Ellis will not be there unless every team before Buffalo forgets that the first round is now only 10 minutes and forfeits their picks.

Chris Long and Vernon Gholston will be gone by #11 too. Derrick Harvey would strictly be a situational pass rusher due to his problems in run defense. Merling is not a great pass rusher and the Bills already have DE's that can tackle better than they can rush the passer. Anyway taking the 18th ranked guy over the 17th ranked guy isn't a stretch.

Draftcountdown.com has Sweed listed as the 12th best player in the draft with only Long, Dorsey, Gholston and Ellis listed higher.

Ontheclockdraft.com is very close to what ESPN has listed.

I don't see where taking Sweed is considered a huge reach. 0:)

IMO, the best guy for the Bills on DL is Jason Jones. He's the perfect backup player with a good upside. He can play inside at DT and outside at DE. He should be around in the third round.

The Bills need a WR so picking 11th and a player ranked 18th does not seem like such a huge reach. I've argued with my brother over Limas Sweed and if my brother thinks so highly of him, Sweed that is ( he follows college better) then maybe their isn't much seperating Sweed from Malcom Kelly. For that, I am glad because Kelly may be gone and we have done very little to address our problems on Offense, granted Fairchilds departure sure helped, we have a glaring need at the TE and WR position.

I hope we come out of the draft with 2 WR's myself <_<

Yep, you nailed it. Congrats. Of course ch19079 was making a comparison like the one you're thinking.

If you can't see that the Bills are painting themselves into the proverbial corner at WR, it's hopeless. Any front office person in the NFL knew Buffalo was going RB in the first last season. And now, we're back at square one, needing a WR in a draft featuring no blue chip talent at the position. Unfortunately, if they can't trade out of the spot, they'll be forced to go WR earlier than they should. All teams know this, and will use this against Buffalo.

Buffalo has no receiving threat among WR's or TE's other than Evans. When one guy is all you've got, it's hard to make secondaries honest. And last year, teams blanketed Evans far too regularly, resulting in one of the worst pass offenses in the NFL.

Nothing has been done to address an offense at the bottom of the NFL. No one in the draft will come in and change that.

This makes three straight seasons the Bills will look to their top picks to enter the season, start, and make a difference. That's plain ridiculous. Forget about best player available, it'll be best player at WR.

I disagree with everything you said, except that buffalo has no recieving threat comments, and the bills will draft best wr.