We will NOT take a WR

I don't know if you happened to watch the Bills offense circa 2007 but if you did you would find that Kelly or Sweed are EXACTLY what this team needs. You're flat out wrong in your analysis that both would be reaches in round one. That's laughable. The Bills already have their #1 receiver which makes the success of either of these players that much easier. You act as if this draft is loaded with "can't miss" players in round one. Nothing could be further from the truth. After the first eight players, the prospect potential levels out dramatically the rest of the round. Kelly and Sweed have every bit the potential on the pro level as whoever you would suggest the Bills pick in their place. You obviously don't recognize that these two WRs are lock first round picks that teams like the Titans and Eagles would be absolutely giddy to have the opportunity to pick. It would be boneheaded move if the Bills do not pick up one of these players with their first round pick. The Titans and Eagles will be sending the Bills gift baskets and thank you notes if that turns out to be the case. The Bills are drafting one of these guys and while you'll be upset when it happens, do not worry. You'll be very happy about when the Bills start scoring some long awaited touchdowns in '08.

The lineman in this draft are exceptional, the receivers are not. The Bills offense is a disaster, but I don't believe Kelly or Sweed would help much this season. A veteran, developed route runner like Wilford or Bryant Johnson might not put up 70-80 grabs, but they would have helped keep defenses honest. Kelly and Sweed aren't the kind of exceptional players who will immediately strike fear into defenses, they will need time to refine their game because they do not have great speed or quickness. In a lot of years guys like Kelly and Sweed would not be #1 picks. The fact that two teams that have a history of not being able to find receivers on draft day are interested would not make me rush to pull the trigger.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The lineman in this draft are exceptional, the receivers are not. The Bills offense is a disaster, but I don't believe Kelly or Sweed would help much this season. A veteran, developed route runner like Wilford or Bryant Johnson might not put up 70-80 grabs, but they would have helped keep defenses honest. Kelly and Sweed aren't the kind of exceptional players who will immediately strike fear into defenses, they will need time to refine their game because they do not have great speed or quickness. In a lot of years guys like Kelly and Sweed would not be #1 picks. The fact that two teams that have a history of not being able to find receivers on draft day are interested would not make me rush to pull the trigger.

If Baltimore starts showing some interest I'm all over that :wallbash:

Guest dog14787
While I would much rather have Keith Rivers or Derek Harvey who are much worthier of #11 and would really help down rhe road, I think at this point it will be Limas Sweed due to need.

but he's lacking in speed :wallbash:

Malcom Kelly gets great seperation, goes up for the ball and comes down with it. Something a young QB really needs to see. The same can be said for Lee Evans (even though he's smaller), if you could put Lee Evans and Malcom Kelly both on the field at the same time it would give any defensive backfield problems.

I just don't think Limas Sweed is even worthy of an 11th pick if Kelly is gone, in the 2nd or 3rd maybe.

Well said...

When you put it that way it's tough to argue the contrary... :lol:

;)

...That said, Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed aren't going to help matters this year. Even great wr prospects like Calvin Johnson struggle as rookies, so what are a couple of "good" prospects going to do to help Trent Edwards? Nothing. And when they do come around in a year or 2, are they going to be All Pros? Highly doubt it. To me, they both would be reaches in round 1, period....

...Take the good lineman while they are there in rounds 1 and 2. Then take your shots at TE and WR later, where less heralded prospects with simialar potential to Kelly and Sweed will still be available. Pass rushers and blockers won't be there much past round 2, wr and TE will be.

The only reason Sweed is being downgraded is because of his wrist injury. If that's ok then I see no reason he shouldn't be taken at #11. Yes it will take a couple of years for him to acclimate to the NFL game but then next year do we put off taking a receiver early because it will take them two years to develop? What about the year after that? FA WR's that are any good and come at a reasonable price don't fall into FA. A team has to draft a WR.

If Chris Long, Gholston, Ellis or Dorsey are still there then I wouldn't be upset if they pass on Sweed if he's still there too. If they do then I'd love to see them get Jordy Nelson. Optimally I'd love to see them re-sign Evans and draft Sweed and Nelson!! :wallbash:

Yes, we were 30th overall in total offense, but the defense wasn't much better. I believe we finished the season 30th there as well, and were were 25th against the run and 30th against the pass. We had NEEDS on both sides of the ball. Buffalo chose to address the defense immediately, because there were actually star caliber players in FA that could have an immediate impact. Sorry, but Bernard Berrian or Bryant Johnson were not going to have the offensive impact at WR that we need. Berrian wanted too much money, and he got it from a desperate team who overpaid. Praise to the FO for not wasting money on that guy. Johnson wanted a one year contract so that when he did have upgraded numbers not playing behind LF and AB in Arizona, he could bolt for mucho bucks somewhere else. Buffalo wanted to sign him to a longer term. When he wouldn't, they saw he was just another overrated premadonna that would be bad for the team. Signing a guy for one year would only have put us in the same position next year that we are in now. Looking for a starting veteran WR in the offseason. And next year it might be worse if they can't get LE to agree to an extension.*

Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, and James Hardy are all first round talents. Anyone who thinks they aren't is smoking something that is currently illegal in the United States.** People said the same type of things in the 96 draft when Owens and Johnson were taken in the first round. They had great numbers but would never be great receivers. Oh, well. The fact is Buffalo is not going to take a WR at #11. They are like to do it at #14 or #22. I believe Buffalo will do the following.

Trade #11 to Dallas for #22 and #28 so that Dallas can draft RB Mendenhall who they REALLY like and who will be there at 11.***

Then:

1a. Malcolm Kelly WR or Devin Thomas WR

1b. Fred Davis TE

2. Brandon Flowers CB

3. Mike Pollack C

4. Owen Schmidt FB

5. Jordy Nelson WR****

6. Roach FS

7a. Matt Spanos C/G

7b. D-Line for Depth

Offense and DB are the top priority. Buffalo needs to draft two WRs, one who has the potential to be a #1 if LE is not resigned next year, and another guy who can play the slot and potentially be a #2 if need be. Jordy Nelson fits that bill.** No pun intended. Kelly, Thomas, or Hardy will be very good on the other side of LE this year. And frankly they don't need to have "spectacular" numbers. They need to be better than Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish were last year. That should be the case. Even if Kelly or Thomas come in and have Calvin Johnson type numbers, 50 receps and 800 yards, that takes a lot of pressure off LE. Not to mention that moves JR into his best role as a slot guy, which should pick up his numbers, and allows us to utilize RP and our TEs to stretch the opposing Ds in the middle and deep. All in all, the response suggesting that the FO doesn't know what they are doing is flat wrong. They have made very good decisions to help this franchise and were smart to wait until the draft to sign WR rather than throwing good money after bad at the position.*****

* Exactly, I wouldn't disagree with anything there.

** I also agree with that but think two wide receivers in this draft and re-signing Evans would be best.

*** The Cowboys don't want Mendenhall they want McFadden and if they want to get him they'll have to trade up a lot higher than 11th.

**** Just a summation of everything you said that I agree with and well stated.

The Bills do not have a #2 WR on their roster right now. Period. FA is basically over.

The bills are now in the exact same situation we were in last season when we HAD to pick a RB (Lynch), and in the exact same situation as the year before when we HAD to take a SS (Whitner).

It is never a good thing when you have to take a player at a specific position in the draft.

but since we have put ourselves in that same position again, its obvious what is going to happen. The bills will either select a WR sooner than any of them should go, or trade down a few spots and take the best WR left on the board.

The problem is that there arnt any Calvin Johnson or Roy Williams type WRs this year. So that this years WR draft class has no clear cut #1, and noone really deserving of a top 15 pick.

The Bills do not have a #2 WR on their roster right now. Period. FA is basically over.

The bills are now in the exact same situation we were in last season when we HAD to pick a RB (Lynch), and in the exact same situation as the year before when we HAD to take a SS (Whitner).

It is never a good thing when you have to take a player at a specific position in the draft.

but since we have put ourselves in that same position again, its obvious what is going to happen. The bills will either select a WR sooner than any of them should go, or trade down a few spots and take the best WR left on the board.

The problem is that there arnt any Calvin Johnson or Roy Williams type WRs this year. So that this years WR draft class has no clear cut #1, and noone really deserving of a top 15 pick.

Oh great! We might just end up with the WR equivalent of Whitner and Lynch!! That would SUCK!! :wallbash:

Oh great! We might just end up with the WR equivalent of Whitner and Lynch!! That would SUCK!! :wallbash:

Yep, you nailed it. Congrats. Of course ch19079 was making a comparison like the one you're thinking.

If you can't see that the Bills are painting themselves into the proverbial corner at WR, it's hopeless. Any front office person in the NFL knew Buffalo was going RB in the first last season. And now, we're back at square one, needing a WR in a draft featuring no blue chip talent at the position. Unfortunately, if they can't trade out of the spot, they'll be forced to go WR earlier than they should. All teams know this, and will use this against Buffalo.

Buffalo has no receiving threat among WR's or TE's other than Evans. When one guy is all you've got, it's hard to make secondaries honest. And last year, teams blanketed Evans far too regularly, resulting in one of the worst pass offenses in the NFL.

Nothing has been done to address an offense at the bottom of the NFL. No one in the draft will come in and change that.

This makes three straight seasons the Bills will look to their top picks to enter the season, start, and make a difference. That's plain ridiculous. Forget about best player available, it'll be best player at WR.

If Chris Long, Gholston, Ellis or Dorsey are still there then I wouldn't be upset if they pass on Sweed if he's still there too.

So if there's a top 10 talent available at our 11th pick, you "wouldn't be upset" if we pass on a 2nd or 3rd round talent and take the better football player?

I always figured FFL would end up turning fan brains into mush. Some prophecies are more disturbingly fulfilled than others.

Yep, you nailed it. Congrats. Of course ch19079 was making a comparison like the one you're thinking.

If you can't see that the Bills are painting themselves into the proverbial corner at WR, it's hopeless. Any front office person in the NFL knew Buffalo was going RB in the first last season. And now, we're back at square one, needing a WR in a draft featuring no blue chip talent at the position. Unfortunately, if they can't trade out of the spot, they'll be forced to go WR earlier than they should. All teams know this, and will use this against Buffalo.

Buffalo has no receiving threat among WR's or TE's other than Evans. When one guy is all you've got, it's hard to make secondaries honest. And last year, teams blanketed Evans far too regularly, resulting in one of the worst pass offenses in the NFL.

Nothing has been done to address an offense at the bottom of the NFL. No one in the draft will come in and change that.

This makes three straight seasons the Bills will look to their top picks to enter the season, start, and make a difference. That's plain ridiculous. Forget about best player available, it'll be best player at WR.

Ok, how did teams use the fact that Buffalo needed a RB last year against them?

So if there's a top 10 talent available at our 11th pick, you "wouldn't be upset" if we pass on a 2nd or 3rd round talent and take the better football player?

I always figured FFL would end up turning fan brains into mush. Some prophecies are more disturbingly fulfilled than others.

I guess we disagree on whether Sweed is first round or third round talent.

Here are the resources that list him among the receivers;

ESPN; Second best receiver in the draft.

Pro Football Draft Guide '08; Second best receiver in the draft.

Pro Football Weekly 2008 Draft Guide; Second best receiver in the draft.

On the Clock Draft; Second best receiver.

If your argument is that he may be the second best receiver but is still third round talent then again I'll disagree. I think his wrist injury has rated him lower than he should be.

I guess we disagree on whether Sweed is first round or third round talent.

Here are the resources that list him among the receivers;

ESPN; Second best receiver in the draft.

Pro Football Draft Guide '08; Second best receiver in the draft.

Pro Football Weekly 2008 Draft Guide; Second best receiver in the draft.

On the Clock Draft; Second best receiver.

If your argument is that he may be the second best receiver but is still third round talent then again I'll disagree. I think his wrist injury has rated him lower than he should be.

I get your proposition- "If a receiver is the 2nd best receiver in any draft class, then he MUST be a 1st round talent".

The Dolphins and Ted Ginn like your assessment. Koren Robinson feels the same way.

I get your proposition- "If a receiver is the 2nd best receiver in any draft class, then he MUST be a 1st round talent".

The Dolphins and Ted Ginn like your assessment. Koren Robinson feels the same way.

Ok look up just a little bit from your writing and you'll see this;

Had you read that you would understand how stupid that first sentence is. Please don't change my arguments to suit your inane thoughts. :wallbash:

Had you read that you would understand how stupid that first sentence is. Please don't change my arguments to suit your inane thoughts. :wallbash:

A WR with a chronic wrist problem that hampers his ability to catch the ball is definitely a can't miss prospect! ;)

Bennett and Caldwell will be as productive but you will be getting a healthy player in the 2nd round

A WR with a chronic wrist problem that hampers his ability to catch the ball is definitely a can't miss prospect! :wallbash:

Bennett and Caldwell will be as productive but you will be getting a healthy player in the 2nd round

Chronic wrist problem? It had never been a problem prior to the spring of '07 and he had a major surgery on it just in October. Is it really that much of a suprise that he's still feeling some ill effects?

Sorry, but I'll trust the evaluation of the Bills' doctors on this one, just like I trusted their evaluation on Marshawn Lynch's supposed 'chronic back problems' last year.

The Bills draft 11th. You're promoting a guy who might be a 2nd or 3rd round quality player, who is going to go higher than that because talent levels at the position are poor this draft. So the question is, do we want to take your Detoit Lion-like approach and draft him there anyway, or draft someone who will help the team out more by being vastly more talented at their own position, as the better teams in the league would do. I'll go with the better team's strategy and leave you adoring the Lions.

Chronic wrist problem? It had never been a problem prior to the spring of '07 and he had a major surgery on it just in October. Is it really that much of a suprise that he's still feeling some ill effects?

Sorry, but I'll trust the evaluation of the Bills' doctors on this one, just like I trusted their evaluation on Marshawn Lynch's supposed 'chronic back problems' last year.

when there are 5 or 6 WRs that are pretty similar in talent - then it makes no sense to reach for the guy with the injury who has not proven on the field that his wrist is not a problem catching the football.

when there are 5 or 6 WRs that are pretty similar in talent - then it makes no sense to reach for the guy with the injury who has not proven on the field that his wrist is not a problem catching the football.

C'mon, you're going to blow the cover of the agent who represented Yatil Green ;-)

That would be true, if I agreed that there are 5 or 6 WRs in this draft of a similar talent level.

I don't.

Now that said, I'm not entirely sure that I'd pick Limas Sweed 11th overall, though I would lean towards a WR pick at 11.

If they don't take a wr it will because they decided against making that desperate move. None of the wr in this draft are polished enough or have enough upside to draft that high when the first and second rounds are loaded with quality lineman.

Coming into this offseason, the top priority IMO was to get a #2 WR and starting TE. Nothing else was even close to those 2 needs, not even DT. Didn't have to be Reggie Wayne and Antonio Gates, but someone Trent Edwards could count on to be there and be open over the middle(his comfort zone). Reason being that an NFL franchise without a QB is dead in the water, and a QB without targets is set up for failure. They didn't get it done, instead taking the Donahoe like approach of neglecting the offense in favor of getting a new LB, DT and trying to get a safety(remember Spikes, Adams and Milloy?).

That said, Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed aren't going to help matters this year. Even great wr prospects like Calvin Johnson struggle as rookies, so what are a couple of "good" prospects going to do to help Trent Edwards? Nothing. And when they do come around in a year or 2, are they going to be All Pros? Highly doubt it. To me, they both would be reaches in round 1, period.

IMO, barring a trade for established help, the horse is out of the barn as far as truly helping Edwards this season.

Take the good lineman while they are there in rounds 1 and 2. Then take your shots at TE and WR later, where less heralded prospects with simialar potential to Kelly and Sweed will still be available. Pass rushers and blockers won't be there much past round 2, wr and TE will be.

If you reach for Kelly or Sweed early, you could wind up with a second day like last year where you are trying to fill crucial depth needs at positions that have already been sucked dry on day one. This team is very thin on the OL and has no young DE's in a defense that is predicated on pass rush. Long term those are harder positions to fill than #2 WR's and solid TE's. This year, the draft has obvious depth at OL and DL and they would be wise to get it while they can.

Take last year as the example. Having already drafted positions in rounds 1&2 that are traditionally pretty deep on draft day(rb/lb), the Bills found themselves grasping to fill reserve positons on day 2. With needs at many positons, the Bills ended up taking another RB, a reserve safety and a DE with no chance whatsoever to make the team on day 2. Trent Edwards made that draft, but day 2 was not well played at all, and day 2 is what separates the best drafting organizations from the rest.

:wallbash: OUTSTANDING!

Ok, how did teams use the fact that Buffalo needed a RB last year against them?

The difference last year is there were only 2 first round caliber RB's. This as opposed to the WR class of 08 which does not reflect true first round talents.

Mags and ESPN saying a guy is the top of their class means nothing. I'm sure they've ranked their top FB's, K's, and P's as well. It doesn't say the top ranked players at those positions are first rounders.

If the Bills don't grab a WR in the first, I can't see them having their guy at 41 either. They'll almost have to make a move.

This as opposed to the WR class of 08 which does not reflect true first round talents.

But are we sure about that?

Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper can spew that line until they're blue in the face and people are free to believe it all they want, but is it really true? We have no idea where the Bills or any other team have these guys rated. Lets not forget that a lot of draftnicks, even the supposedly professional ones like Todd McShay of ESPN, thought Marshawn Lynch was a horrible reach last year where the Bills took him. The same with Donte Whitner the year before. Both picks turned out better than OK, particularly Lynch.

The point being is simply this: be careful in how much weight you give the opinions of the draft nicks, or even your own.

Throw the misconceptions about 'player rankings' out the window, because that's exactly what they are. We do not have a friggin' clue how the Bills, or any other team, for that matter, actually rank these guys.

In the end, there's only one relevant question that we, as fans, are really all that qualified to ask: Would a particular player, if chosen by the Bills, make this a significantly better football team, either immediately or over the course of the next 1-2 seasons. If the answer to that question is 'yes', then that player is probably a solid selection for the team at that position.

Obviously, you have to apply a little common sense and not project them to take a kicker or FB in R1, or some guy expected to go in R5 who might start because your team has no alternative on the roster. But as long as you don't try to get cute and/or stupid by twisting it to suit your argument, its a good rule to follow as a fan when evaluating potential draft choices given the lack of information we have regarding the Bills' actual draft board.