Age Old Question: Can Men & Women Be Just Friends?

billsdiva007

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The responses from the men on this thread remind me of why I usually hang around with women. :lol:

Who wouldn't want to hang around with hot women all day? No offense to any guy, but if I have a choice of working, talking, eating, playing, or doning anything with some guy or a hot babe... I'm siding with the hot babe anyday. I'd even take an ugly chick, cause sooner or later we'll meet up with her friends and maybe some of them will be hot. Sorry, just the way it is.

As to the original question, I think men and women can be friends. However, once the guy said he wants to take it to the next level... its over. Friendship is out of the question. He may say he changed his mind; he may appear to back down; but he hasn't. He's buyin his time to see if he can change your opinion of him.

Who wouldn't want to hang around with hot women all day? No offense to any guy, but if I have a choice of working, talking, eating, playing, or doning anything with some guy or a hot babe... I'm siding with the hot babe anyday. I'd even take an ugly chick, cause sooner or later we'll meet up with her friends and maybe some of them will be hot. Sorry, just the way it is.

Ya see, that's not the reason I prefer to hang with women. Most men are dopes and kitty hounds. I just can't tolerate hanging with a guy who is always trying to get laid...who thinks the waitress is flirting with him...who thinks a smile from a cute girl is a come-on, etc.

I like hanging with interesting intelligent, thoughtful and stimulating people. Women seem to be able to do that better than dudes, in my experience.

Ya see, that's not the reason I prefer to hang with women. Most men are dopes and kitty hounds. I just can't tolerate hanging with a guy who is always trying to get laid...who thinks the waitress is flirting with him...who thinks a smile from a cute girl is a come-on, etc.

I like hanging with interesting intelligent, thoughtful and stimulating people. Women seem to be able to do that better than dudes, in my experience.

I never said anything about getting laid. I'm married and have no intentions of laying anyone and hence have several good female friends (of course my wife hates that). But, it doesn't mean I still wouldn't rather talk to and look at a hot babe over an ugly guy anyday. I try not to be intellectual, but I defintely agree with the stimulating part. :lol:

Now I know you're full of sh--, since you spend so much time on TSW.... :wallbash:

You make an excellent point!

Off for a bike ride (today, with cocktail in water bottle).

OK everyone, what do you all think about this one? 1 of my best friends is a guy & we have been friends since high school back in the day. He's a great guy, but a few years ago he suggested that we become more than friends & I declined because I wasn't feeling dude like that plus he's like a brother 2 me. Needless to say, he didn't agree & we ended up having a big argument about it & not speaking for years. Fast forward to the present, we talked & got everything out in the open & now we are cool, but our friendship is different & kinda distant now. What should I do? I value our friendship, but I don't want him getting the wrong idea.

Forget the friendship thing if one or the other person was/is interested in a romantic relationship.Forget it. Its against nature and the male ego and the female something or other.

Women sometimes find this offensive, but I think it hits the nail on the head:

http://www.laddertheory.com/

thanks for the good laugh. :wallbash:

When it comes to men and women being friends its a toss up of personalities. If you can mesh at just the right level, it can stay a friendship, if you go together like green and red on Christmas then chances are, one person's going to want a little bit more. The guy wants green and red while you just want the friendship. Best of luck to you on this one.

Dont shower for a month, im sure that will drive him away from wanting "more" ;)

WOW guys, thanx 4 all the feedback! I guess I'll find out how it all plays out eventually, my guess is that we'll just be friends because 4 me it's ALL ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY & I don't feel any sparks w/dude. Man, relationships take alot of work, maybe I'll stay single for awhile! :wallbash: I think I'm a lil gun shy 2, had my heartbroken a few times, ahhhhhhhhh................. what is this thing called love REALLY about???

Why do you hang out in here so much then?

OK everyone, what do you all think about this one? 1 of my best friends is a guy & we have been friends since high school back in the day. He's a great guy, but a few years ago he suggested that we become more than friends & I declined because I wasn't feeling dude like that plus he's like a brother 2 me. Needless to say, he didn't agree & we ended up having a big argument about it & not speaking for years. Fast forward to the present, we talked & got everything out in the open & now we are cool, but our friendship is different & kinda distant now. What should I do? I value our friendship, but I don't want him getting the wrong idea.

there's no attraction on my part.

unfortunately, we're only getting your side of the story. i'm sure that there's a lot of things left out as to why he feels this way. for all we know, you could have been leading him on. kind of like the jackass chasing the carrot, while you're the one dangling it front of him, and he's pulling the cart with you in it.

Why do you hang out in here so much then?

You were only about 20 hours late, with that zinger. Not bad!

Now I know you're full of sh--, since you spend so much time on TSW.... :wallbash:

You were only about 20 hours late, with that zinger. Not bad!

Hey from the self-proclaimed "cheap shot artist", you have to give him the credit for taking a stab at ya. By the way, how were Billdo and BGW "intellectually stimulating?"

Hey from the self-proclaimed "cheap shot artist", you have to give him the credit for taking a stab at ya. By the way, how were Billdo and BGW "intellectually stimulating?"

I do give him credit. I just didn't know if he noticed that the shot had already been taken. Actually, I think I'm getting off fairly easy, on this one.

Who ever said that Dildo was "intellectually stimulating"?

The Weenie had a sense of humor, and didn't seem stupid, to me. I know he was just here to stir the s#it...but, I don't mind that, if the person has a brain and a sense of humor. Green Weenie never bugged me much, except for all the board time and space that drivel took. Used in moderation, he might have been a good and interesting addition, IMO.

Dildo just sucked at it. He added nothing of worth to the board. He was stupid and self-centered. If he was ever funny, I might actually have been able to overlook some of that.

HEY...Happy Easter!

WOW guys, thanx 4 all the feedback! I guess I'll find out how it all plays out eventually, my guess is that we'll just be friends because 4 me it's ALL ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY & I don't feel any sparks w/dude. Man, relationships take alot of work, maybe I'll stay single for awhile! <_< I think I'm a lil gun shy 2, had my heartbroken a few times, ahhhhhhhhh................. what is this thing called love REALLY about???

This is sure a "hot" topic for some. I respect your "chemistry" thought; it's either there or it isn't. Some people I have known do get the "spark" much later after meeting each other. But being gunshy may make you averse to the "chemistry" when you do find it! You're right, relationships are tough, and you gotta work at them (i.e. put up with their s&%t, as they put up with yours).

FYI, I saw previews for a new flick about this very topic. It stars the guy from Enchanted and Grey's Anatomy (can't think of his name now). He loves screwing as many woman as possible but never commits. He has an attractive long-term "friend" that he dates regularly, and when she becomes engaged, he freaks out and tries to stop the wedding. They are so close that SHE asks HIM to be her maid of honor. I think the title is "Made of Honor". It looks funny for a "chick flick", though.

unfortunately, we're only getting your side of the story. i'm sure that there's a lot of things left out as to why he feels this way. for all we know, you could have been leading him on. kind of like the jackass chasing the carrot, while you're the one dangling it front of him, and he's pulling the cart with you in it.

Nah, I didn't even know that he was feeling me like that, it kinda weirded me out when he did tell me. Trust me, when I'm flirting w/ a guy he will DEFINATELY know it!

Nah, I didn't even know that he was feeling me like that, it kinda weirded me out when he did tell me. Trust me, when I'm flirting w/ a guy he will DEFINATELY know it!

Many men see "flirty" in things that you don't have any intention as being flirty. So, while it is good that you aren't intentionally playing him (good for you!), he may be deceiving himself based on some very innocent behaviors on your part. You may have to monitor what you send out, even if it isn't intentional, when dealing with him. At least for a little while. Of course, some guys see what they want no matter what the woman says or does, so you can't do much about that.

A girl I was dating was in your situation with a man she knew for a while. While she was, by no means, trying to flirt with him, I could tell there were behaviors he took as flirty and he heard encouraging things in rather innocent discussion. It took her a while to realize that she couldn't be friendly-affectionate, had to be careful about body contact, greetings, what she wore when they were going to be alone together, etc.

Since I don't know either of you, I won't say this applies in your situation, but often in these kinds of situations, there is a little bit of "convenient obliviousness" on the part of both parties.