What Stroud hopefully provides for us.

What is a big key for success in the Cover 2, and more so the Tampa 2, is for the DT to be able to occupy 2 gaps so the S doesn't have to play up in the box when the opposing offense is in a two TE formation. This is what made Warren Sapp so special. If Stroud can stay healthy and accomplish this then we will see just how good of a pick Donte Whitner really was. Each one of them needs the other for both of them, and our whole defense, to have great success.

Straight up and simple. Stroud provides us the big run stuffer we've been looking for.

What helps any D is a DT that takes up two gaps. This is just good football when you have one or two guys that need double teams. That then frees up the rest of the line. It helps the safties and everyone else. That is why great D's have great DT's

What is a big key for success in the Cover 2, and more so the Tampa 2, is for the DT to be able to occupy 2 gaps so the S doesn't have to play up in the box when the opposing offense is in a two TE formation. This is what made Warren Sapp so special. If Stroud can stay healthy and accomplish this then we will see just how good of a pick Donte Whitner really was. Each one of them needs the other for both of them, and our whole defense, to have great success.

Technically, no. True cover-2/tampa-2 DTs are pure one-gap, pocket collapse-ers. They are required to help the DEs with the pass rush. The true cover-2/tampa-2 scheme doesnt use a 2-gap DT.

I am glad that we got Stroud to clog the line, but Sapp was far from a 2-gap clogger. He was a one gapper, shooting into the backfield and disrupting plays.

But yet we should draft another DL at 11?

Kyle Williams is another low round pick who plays because we have no one else.

not to mention Stroud has not proven he has recovered fully from his ankle and he is one drug test from a 1 year suspension.

I could see room for a top flight DT if one is available.

Kyle Williams is another low round pick who plays because we have no one else.

not to mention Stroud has not proven he has recovered fully from his ankle and he is one drug test from a 1 year suspension.

I could see room for a top flight DT if one is available.

How many interior lineman does a team keep? 4, 5? Kyle Williams will be a back-up/part of a rotation, so I am trying to understand why DL is still such a priority.

Also, just say Sedrick Ellis is sitting there....... why would you pass on a guy who is probably the next Warren Sapp ( without the a**hole personality to boot ) and even stronger vs. the run as well for a lesser guy at another position? Because of McCargo or William's potential? Or Harvey at DE.......despite Kelsay's contract he would be a big upgrade there, and probably help Kesay earn his contract by being what he should be: a very good SECOND wave DE. Schobel and Denny are both over 30 as well as is Stroud. Plenty of good reasons why a DL at 11 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Technically, no. True cover-2/tampa-2 DTs are pure one-gap, pocket collapse-ers. They are required to help the DEs with the pass rush. The true cover-2/tampa-2 scheme doesnt use a 2-gap DT.

I am glad that we got Stroud to clog the line, but Sapp was far from a 2-gap clogger. He was a one gapper, shooting into the backfield and disrupting plays.

I beg to differ sir. What you are describing is when an opposing offense is in a single TE formation and what I stated is when the opposing offense is in a TWO TE formation. Big difference.

Or DE Harvey. :thumbsup: Schobel 31 years old , Denny 32........not as far fetched as some might think........

I agree completely with this. Wide receivers and CBs can and will be taken after the 1st rd but to be able to take a playmaker for the DL is a small window of ooportunity. The stronger the DL the more the secondary can be disguised. It's no secret that Buffalo wants to rely on a heavy rotation on the DL. I wouldn't want to see the Bills reach for a DL with their first pick and if that is the case then one of the top CBs could make sense. I would like to see Buffalo take the best player available with their first pick but I'm talking on the defensive side of the ball only.

I beg to differ sir. What you are describing is when an opposing offense is in a single TE formation and what I stated is when the opposing offense is in a TWO TE formation. Big difference.

Again, no. The tampa-2 is a ONE GAP defense. They traditionally do NOT employ a large two-gap run stuffing DT. This is the reason Tampa-2 teams are vulnerable against the run. The trade off is that they'll allow 5 yds, 7 yds, 6 yds on consecutive carries, but then drop the RB for a 4 yard loss. Also, is passing situations, the Tampa-2 relies on pressure strictly from the front 4. The entire DL needs ot get to the QB, not just the DEs.

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

I'm not saying a big 2-gap DT cant work in the tampa-2, because they can. But in true tampa-2, you want smaller, quicker, 1-gap, gap shooting DTs, ala Warren Sapp and/or Tommie Harries. You do NOT rely on one of those clogging up multiple gaps.

Ignorant question, but how often do teams really play in the 2 TE formation? I know Indy uses it quite a bit. Any idea?

That's a difficult question to answer accurately. Not all teams play two TE formations exclusively but many can based on the sequence of the possession. Stroud hopefully can provide another dimension that we didn't have before and that is he may be able to give us a look to match up with another team's offensive playcalling.

I agree with Ramius on this, and Sapp was never a 2 Gap DT. Also, With Kyle Williams now being #4 in the rotation as opposed to #2, I think he'll be able to fill the bill just fine. He's a very hard working, instinctual player even though he's not quite ideal in size or talent.

I agree with Ramius on this, and Sapp was never a 2 Gap DT. Also, With Kyle Williams now being #4 in the rotation as opposed to #2, I think he'll be able to fill the bill just fine. He's a very hard working, instinctual player even though he's not quite ideal in size or talent.

While, I was listening to Kirwan yesterday on Sirius radio and that's what spawned this thread. He broke it down real good about the the DT taking on the responsibility of both gaps in a two TE formation. He wasn't talking about Buffalo/Stroud, just DTs in general, but he did reference Sapp and said that this was what made him special in the Tampa 2 defense. I'll research this more at a later date and provide more input to constitute this claim but I gotta go for now.

Green Bay has a group of D-linemen that the majority of, aren't good enough as individuals, but their rotation helps the defense play a lot better. Hopefully the group of d-linemen we've got can bring some much needed pressure to the opposing QB's and help stop the run. I can't help but look forward to the draft and the coming year.