DraftTek:

Astrobot

The new simulation at www.DraftTek.com has the Bills opting for a different CB: DR-C. In this scenario, the Bills question Mike Jenkins' character issues, and attracted to DR-C's size, speed, and savvy that could transform DR-C into the most well-rounded option of the Top Five CB's for Bills' Cover-2.

In RD#2, Martellus Bennett gets the pick over Fred Davis for presumably similar reasons. The Bills might be wondering if Davis's tendency to jog plays not meant for him and a reluctance to block are character issues as well. The Bills could use this junior's 6'5" size and hands, but also his zest for the game.

In RD#3, the Bills snag the first of their WR's, Jordy Nelson of KSU. At 6'3, 4.5 speed, and a knack for getting open, Nelson is a favorite at TSW, and this sim shows that we can get a bona fide WR this deep in the draft.

Round 4 is the "filler" round, as I've said before, and 6'4", 213 lb. Paul Hubbard of Wisconsin is the Bills' pick. In the event that our current Wisconsin Badger bolts for better bucks, Hubbard's 21.8 ypc average and the best blocking skills of the WR class will help us say goodbye.

I honestly didn't know which players today's sim would bring us, but I am delighted the Bills took in RD#5 one of the players I mentioned yesterday in a post about what positions to draft in which round. Check it out here:

http://www.drafttek.com/round52008.html His speed isn't what you'd expect from a guy 280 pounds.

This is the best simulation yet.

Astro

Astro,

This is a crazy idea, but can they sim a draft where we single-handedly screw up the Broncos? I know the Eagles are thinking about a lineman in round one if they could get ahead of the run post top 5 picks, and in the second they like Earl Bennett. If we swapped one and two and got their three and four (or whatever is adequate compensation) we would ensure by round they would get who they want AND we get more picks...oh and we hurt Denver's chances of getting who they want.

It is ironic that the Bills - for their needs - have TOO HIGH a pick (pick 11). Unless a trade is worked out , however, I just cannot see the Bills not drafting a WR in round 1.

If a trade partner can be found, then the Bills will trade down. There has never been a more obvious year to do this.

If the Bills stay at #11, they simply will have to draft a WR. Yes, a CB is still a need but not a glaring need. Due to last year's incredible injuries in the secondary, the Bills

were forced to throw player after player into the front lines. The result? On the field training and the Bills now have a very good idea as to what they have. That information plus the

overhaul of the defensive line (Stroud! and Johnson) and the return of Poz and the addition of Mitchell means less pressure on the CB's as the run game will be much improved and

opponent offenses will face more frequent 3rd and longs. A CB is still needed but he can be drafted later and nursed more slowly.

Now, it is true that most rookie WR's are not very productive. But there have been exceptions (Fitzgerald, Boldin, Colston, Cal Johnson to name a few rcent ones). Peerless Price

was actually pretty decent his rookie year many moons ago. The role of a rookie wide receiver on the Bills will be to stretch the defense (so he needs to be fast) and he needs soft

hands (he needs to be able to catch the Fade in particular). Over the middle, we still have Reed and Parrish so there is no need to put the kid into the middle of the short field. But the Bills HAVE to

make it less attractive to double and triple team Evans.

So, if the Bills cannot trade down or (pick up a veteran and a later pick in a trade), they will simply have to overreach for the best WR on the board at pick 11. I am

terrified of Malcolm Kelly. He has not run yet and probably for a good reason - PLUS he already has had reconstructive surgery on his left knee. I think the Bills will go for Sweed,

Manningham Hardy or Jackson.

The Bills need a trade partner!

Isn't the 3rd round a little early for Nelson?

Davis may have character issues, but at least we know he can play, unlike Bennett.

I think Jordy Nelson's stock has been on the rise and he's solidified himself as a 3rd rounder at this point, according to multiple draft sites.

I like DRC's upside, and I think both Nelson and Bennett could be good players in the NFL. I also like the Hubbard pick as he's one of the better blocking WR's in the college game. I would definitely take this draft and not be upset in the slightest.

I think Jordy Nelson's stock has been on the rise and he's solidified himself as a 3rd rounder at this point, according to multiple draft sites.

I like DRC's upside, and I think both Nelson and Bennett could be good players in the NFL. I also like the Hubbard pick as he's one of the better blocking WR's in the college game. I would definitely take this draft and not be upset in the slightest.

It would certainly worry me. It is a boom or bust draft. Each player has major concerns, but major talent. It could turn out great, or be a huge disaster. DRC - Is he ready for the NFL? He hasn't faced any competition except for the Senior Bowl. Does he weigh enough? Will he come up and make a tackle? Bennett - Hasn't really done anything in college, just considered a prospect based on abilities and size/speed ratio. Will the project turn out for the good? Nelson - He has break away speed, but does he have the quickness to separate, and get open?

Like I said, could turn out great or very bad, a lot of "if's" with those players.

They may not go CB at #11 now that they signed James but those are three players at the three important positions that I personally really like. I think Bennett could be very good. I'd be thrilled with that draft.

Astro, I think we need to drop CB down a notch after the James signing. I think WR has to be a clear #1 need.

I think the Bills will go for Sweed,

Manningham Hardy or Jackson.

What about Devin Thomas, I think his stock is definately higher than Manningham and Jackson, and at the very least on par with Sweed, Kelly, and Hardy.

The new simulation at www.DraftTek.com has the Bills opting for a different CB: DR-C. In this scenario, the Bills question Mike Jenkins' character issues, and attracted to DR-C's size, speed, and savvy that could transform DR-C into the most well-rounded option of the Top Five CB's for Bills' Cover-2.

In RD#2, Martellus Bennett gets the pick over Fred Davis for presumably similar reasons. The Bills might be wondering if Davis's tendency to jog plays not meant for him and a reluctance to block are character issues as well. The Bills could use this junior's 6'5" size and hands, but also his zest for the game.

In RD#3, the Bills snag the first of their WR's, Jordy Nelson of KSU. At 6'3, 4.5 speed, and a knack for getting open, Nelson is a favorite at TSW, and this sim shows that we can get a bona fide WR this deep in the draft.

Round 4 is the "filler" round, as I've said before, and 6'4", 213 lb. Paul Hubbard of Wisconsin is the Bills' pick. In the event that our current Wisconsin Badger bolts for better bucks, Hubbard's 21.8 ypc average and the best blocking skills of the WR class will help us say goodbye.

I honestly didn't know which players today's sim would bring us, but I am delighted the Bills took in RD#5 one of the players I mentioned yesterday in a post about what positions to draft in which round. Check it out here:

http://www.drafttek.com/round52008.html His speed isn't what you'd expect from a guy 280 pounds.

Astro

Agreed. The best simulation yet, and the one I most happy about.

A couple of notes Astro:

QB- I would switch this to P6 for us

CB- Switch to P2

Also, I would remove the lockouts on DeSean Jackson, Early Doucet if we get a tall WR and remove it from Andre Caldwell altogether

I have NO IDEA why you have McFadden as a grab for us, we have Lynch. I would remove that as well

Just my opinion

What if I do this?

We'll make some changes based on the James signing to our Priorities that the computer uses for the simulation (see this page).

I'll reduce our Priority for CB to "3", same as DE.

I'll put a Lockout on Mike Jenkins, and see what the computer picks for us then.

Astro

As much as I'm not in agreement of drafting cb in rd 1, I like this draft. DRC is the only cb I'd be happy with the Bills drafting in the first 3 rds. After rd 3 I'd be happy with whoevever dropped, unless the top center or fullback is still available. It would be hard to decide between Bennett or a tall wr in the 2nd rd. I think the Bills should go WR in rd 1, TE in rd 2, QB or C in rd 3, C or FB in rd 4, LB in rd 5, OL in rd 6, and both CB and DE in rd 7

My Dream draft would go something like James Hardy, Martellus Bennett, Josh Johnson, Owen schmitt, Beau Bell or Big physical lb, Best center available, physical small school cb and the same type of De

I like getting those guys and I really like Jordy Nelson, but not sure he's a starting option next season. He's the kind of guy I'd like to have on the field a lot, but I'm not sure he's an every down #2 receiver out of the gate.

Also Hubbard is a real question mark to me - the guy has all the athleticism in the world but has terrible hands and was fairly unproductive in college - he'd be a long term project and maybe a special teams guy for awhile. Personally I'd take Lavelle Hawkins there (who I think you have undervalued)- good all around receiver with great hands, speed, and college production - he would provide reliable quality depth at receiver.

What if I do this?

We'll make some changes based on the James signing to our Priorities that the computer uses for the simulation (see this page).

I'll reduce our Priority for CB to "3", same as DE.

I'll put a Lockout on Mike Jenkins, and see what the computer picks for us then.

My main issues, though I think the program is great, are with the lockouts and grab decisions FWIW