CB James signed by Bills

bobinaz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this signing a lot, if true. It greatly expands our ability in the first two rounds to fix the WR and TE positions. It doesn't preclude a CB even at #11, but until now, we didn't have a reliable nickel back, and this guy is pretty decent. He also has a chance to start. It surely doesn't automatically make our corners great but we had Dustin Fox as our #4 and a totally unproven Youboty as our nickel.

William James | #21 | CB

Philadelphia Eagles | Official Team Site

Height: 6-0 Weight: 200 Age: 28

Born: 6/15/1979 Uniontown , PA

College: Western Illinois

Experience: 8th season

High School: Laurel Highlands HS [uniontown, PA]

A depth guy at nickel back! :censored: Still a very good signing! :thumbsup:

Just saw on the NFL channel that the Bills signed CB Will James to a 2 yr deal.....anyone else see this? Nothing from Chris Brown on it yet.

Don't know much about him, but he is a non-midget CB, so that alone is good. Let's hope he can play. Now we need a non-midget WR who can play.

Great signing. James has had a very solid career when healthy. We got our nickel back and this keeps our draft options open. I think we are going WR and TE in the first two rounds. I prefer this signing instead of Bryant Johnson. Bring on Devin Thomas!

William James | #21 | CB

Philadelphia Eagles | Official Team Site

Height: 6-0 Weight: 200 Age: 28

Born: 6/15/1979 Uniontown , PA

College: Western Illinois

Experience: 8th season

High School: Laurel Highlands HS [uniontown, PA]

A depth guy at nickel back! :censored: Still a very good signing! :thumbsup:

That's what I was going to say. Good veteran leadership and a good nickel back.

Philly paper says he was a bum in two years with the Eagles.

He missed 15 games in two years with Philly and played with a back injury. He ripped when he was on the Giants. If his back is healthy James is very talented

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300395

A few teams wanted him, including the Eagles.

James agreed to a two-year contract Tuesday that gives him the chance to make the equivalent of second cornerback in Buffalo depending on his playing time. Details of the deal weren't available.

The Eagles were trying to re-sign James. The Texans were also after him, and the Falcons, preparing to trade DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders, got in the mix in the past couple of days. In the end, though, James looked at the situation in Buffalo and thought there would be a good opportunity to play.

James, 28, started six games for the Eagles last season and played almost half of the defensive downs. He has seven years of experience, playing with the Giants and the Eagles.

-- ESPN.com's John Clayton and The Associated Press

I actually don't think James fits the nickle very well and wouldn't be surprised to see McGee or Greer end up as the nickle. Now, I'm not saying James will start full time although I very well think he could, but I see him playing on the outside when we have 3 or more CB's on the field at one time. I love the flexibility this gives us come draft time! :censored:

I actually don't think James fits the nickle very well and wouldn't be surprised to see McGee or Greer end up as the nickle. Now, I'm not saying James will start full time although I very well think he could, but I see him playing on the outside when we have 3 or more CB's on the field at one time. I love the flexibility this gives us come draft time! :censored:

It's semantics. I would think that "nickel back" refers more to the idea that he doesn't start, comes in when three CBs are in, or on passing downs, rather than just playing the slot receiver in nickel formations. A lot of teams, including the Bills in the past, have put outside guys in the slot. I think James will be given every chance to start and if he beats out Greer, so be it. It should be a good fight. He does give us some size. I could easily see, like you suggest, Greer starting and James coming in in passing situations but playing outside while Greer moves in the slot.