Jets sign Bubba Franks

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...ded-to-te-corps

I've been quitely hoping since the start of FA that the Bills would address all 3 of their ridiculous needs: DT, WR & TE. Now that there's absolutely no one left we have to hope rookies will lift our embarrassing offense to some level of respectability. WR & TE are not positions that rookies typically come in and make a major difference. To say nothing of one of each on one team.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

For me, I'm done hoping and less than satisfied. :thumbsup:

For me, I'm done hoping and less than satisfied.

Bubba Franks is done, stick a fork in him. But if activity in March is what floats your boat, then the Jests are your team...

"...The release of Franks, 30, meanwhile, shows the risk of putting a franchise tag on a player. In Franks' case, it gave him the leverage to sign a deal that included a $5 million signing bonus and paid him $9 million over three years.

Injury and lack of production marked the seasons of that new deal for Franks, who lost his starting job to Donald Lee last season. His receptions dropped from 34 in '04 to 25 in '05 and '06 to 18 in '07. Franks missed 14 games during that span because of knee, neck and back injuries, and was reduced mostly to a blocker the last two seasons."

I would have liked to see the Bills make a run at Crumpler, or Utect...other than that, there really weren't a lot of FA tight ends available that were much of an upgrade over Robert Royal. There is a reason that there are so few good pass catching, tight ends in the league, they are hard to come by. Bubba was a great name, but never really produced much, particularly as of late.

Bubba Franks = past prime

Perhaps. But a veteran, cagey TE WHO CAN CATCH, in the twilight of his career still tops anything we've had this century. IMO. Maybe you're right. Maybe the FO feels like you -that this very dependable, veteran team guy doesn't have anything left in the tank. Maybe.

I think Favre may beg to differ..

Yeah, those 18 receptions last year were a big vote of confidence from Farve...

Yeah, yeah.. Crumpler, Utecht, Franks. You and OBD appear convinced none of them rated a stop by during FA. The likelyhood that all three of these tesed TE's fails miserably next year -where a rookie is a better option than all three of them- doesn't make much sense to me.

Tell me how you're not frustrated that these two glaring deficiencies haven't been addressed with at least some veteran influence. Where's the pie in the sky?

Perhaps. But a veteran, cagey TE WHO CAN CATCH, in the twilight of his career still tops anything we've had this century. IMO. Maybe you're right. Maybe the FO feels like you -that this very dependable, veteran team guy doesn't have anything left in the tank. Maybe.

I honestly thought this was going to be a gag post. Bubba Franks is a mess. If we signed him as opposed to drafting a TE, I would have some serious questions about our front office.

What's this "cagey" crap? It's like the new buzzword around here. Did you see what Lee did this year in GB??? Bubba Franks WAS a good TE on a team (with a QB) that LOVES to go to the TE. For the past 3 years he's done next to nothing with that same team and QB. Lee showed everyone that it wasn't a change in offensive philosophy or a change in the way Favre liked to play. It was the TE, plain and simple.

The Jets just signed another "name" that won't get them anywhere. It's amazing that these teams have watched the Redskins do this crap for years and have actually said..."hey, we should do that!".

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...ded-to-te-corps

I've been quitely hoping since the start of FA that the Bills would address all 3 of their ridiculous needs: DT, WR & TE. Now that there's absolutely no one left we have to hope rookies will lift our embarrassing offense to some level of respectability. WR & TE are not positions that rookies typically come in and make a major difference. To say nothing of one of each on one team.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

For me, I'm done hoping and less than satisfied. :thumbsup:

Jets, Browns, some others are stocking up for a last big bang before this recent CBA blows up.

Has everyone forgotten all the cuts that will still be made? Teams will release players when their cap figure is too high, they will release players that are due big bonuses in upcoming months, they will release players after they have picked their replacements in the draft, and they will release players for the June 1st cuts.

Everyone needs to relax.

Bubba Franks is terrible. I don't want any of the free agent garbage that was or is left out there.

Wait for the draft, wait for the cuts, and on opening day you can tell me what we didn't address. Until then, stfu!

Yeah, yeah.. Crumpler, Utecht, Franks. You and OBD appear convinced none of them rated a stop by during FA. The likelyhood that all three of these tesed TE's fails miserably next year -where a rookie is a better option than all three of them- doesn't make much sense to me.

Tell me how you're not frustrated that these two glaring deficiencies haven't been addressed with at least some veteran influence. Where's the pie in the sky?

Too many sows ears for all the silk purse FAs you'd like to buy, unfortunately. Why pay Franks $1.65 million (like the Jets are doing) for playing the second TE...who'll likely catch 20-25 balls max?

I think we have some decent veterans in Royal and Anderson. It's time for a young stud rookie to come in and shake things up. Relax my friend, the offseason is far from over.

I agree, they're serviceable. But they pose no real threat and opposing SS's just walk right up into the box.

I retract 'losing hope'. I hope we draft a phenom.

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

:thumbsup:

I honestly thought this was going to be a gag post. Bubba Franks is a mess. If we signed him as opposed to drafting a TE, I would have some serious questions about our front office.

Vet minimum is all I'd offer him with no signing bonus and anything above that is a rip off. Teams don't let great receiving TE's go without a goo reason. A team has to get them through the draft. Personally I don't think a receiving TE is all that important. It's a luxury that's great to have but the Bills have other more pressing needs.

Remember when a formerly great player is released he's released for a reason. The Bills should sign Joe Montana he's a FA too.

I agree, they're serviceable. But they pose no real threat and opposing SS's just walk right up into the box.

I retract 'losing hope'. I hope we draft a phenom.

I don't want to join in and blast you, but do you really think Franks poses a threat? He has done nothing for years now.