What kind of car do you drive ?

mead107

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handling.

W/ improved formulas for rubber it allows you to still have an adequately comfortable ride w/ lower profile tires

The lower the profile of the tire there's less flex in the sidewalls & thereby superior handling characteristics.

There was a time that 78 was the std aspect ratio w/ econoboxes using 80s & "performance" vehicles going w/ 70s.

These days I'd guess 60s are more std & performance vehicles have about 35.

As for the tire size having an impact on fuel economy, I would imagine it's negligible. Again, superior formulation equate to less rolling resistance and all you need to do is select a different axle and transmission gear ratios to match the engine's performance characteristics. (These days, auto trannies come w/ 5 or 6 fwd speeds; there was a time when they had only 2 or 3. This helps in this regard, too.)

Good analysis!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

2005 Jeep Wrangler (TJ for the aficiandos). My dream car, literally. Best vehicle in the winter cause of the 4wd and a convertible in the summer. I love my Jeep.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really think that they blundered by going to the new 2007 JK... True they could have 86'd the whole Wrangler line period with the new 2007 gov't standards! Hand to Jeep for making it work I guess? I know safety regs were stiffened by the feds and all and fuel economy was big... That being said, I think the Wranglers are the only light duty trucks still with live axles? Pre-2007, same with the "tub" body...

Literally, you can replace anything easily with a zillion parts out there... There is no reason why a vehicle can't last forever.

Literally my dream vehicle too... There is nothing I won't touch on the vehicle (of course when it steps out of warranty) myself...

Quite a throwback with all the modern convienences of electronics (fuel injection, distributorless ignition, etc... etc...) and modern metal protection (galv, paint, etc... etc...)

The only thing is safety and fuel consumption... But, the more you drive, you become aware of those things and adjust accordingly... Same thing when you go "doorless"... Like a motorcycle with 4 wheels...

It is not a "motherment" vehicle in an age when the gov't has issued/mandated that all vehicles become "dummy proof" (ie: the 2007 new Wranglers)... I bought the 2006 for the sole purpose knowing it was the last of the dinos and that nothing ever would be built like that again.

05 bmw M3... A little high according to that PDF file, but the best in its class. Took awhile to get used to the stiffer than stiff ride, but the performance is unmatched. Picked it up back in October. Could never own a RWD when living in Buffalo, made the switch recently being in NJ as we rarely see any snow.

05 bmw M3... A little high according to that PDF file, but the best in its class. Took awhile to get used to the stiffer than stiff ride, but the performance is unmatched. Picked it up back in October. Could never own a RWD when living in Buffalo, made the switch recently being in NJ as we rarely see any snow.

Why not? Just drive accordingly... I very seldom use 4x4 and mainly stay in RWD on the road in any condition... Unless the snow really piles up more than a half a foot...

Why not? Just drive accordingly... I very seldom use 4x4 and mainly stay in RWD on the road in any condition... Unless the snow really piles up more than a half a foot...

When living there I was deciding b/w a FWD Acura, or a RWD infiniti. At the time I was driving through the elements often. My buddies car at work was a "new" at the time RWD mustang. To save time (we worked different shifts and were req to park in an employee parking lot offsite) He would park his car in front of work, I would drive it back to the employee lot to get my car, herefore avoiding having to use and wait for the employee bus. A car with any sort of power and having anything but winter tires on, was like ice skating. His car had to be driven at 5mph to make it to the lot without spinning out. EVen down here in NJ, if it drops below 32 with the moisture in the air, the dew on the road gets slick, its dangerous with my RWD. I just switched from the FWD Acura in October, its night and Day. Your results are probably due to the fact you are in a truck with truck tires.

A prius is one of the more expensive energy cost cars to drive according to a CNW report.

http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveener...F%20VERSION.pdf

Toyota Prius 3.25 cents per mile

vs. some more popular models or other listed here

Camry 1.954

Accord 2.180

Lancer 0.872

Hummer H3 1.949

I'm not discounting their findings, but what the hell is CNWMR? The website looks incredibly amateurish.

When living there I was deciding b/w a FWD Acura, or a RWD infiniti. At the time I was driving through the elements often. My buddies car at work was a "new" at the time RWD mustang. To save time (we worked different shifts and were req to park in an employee parking lot offsite) He would park his car in front of work, I would drive it back to the employee lot to get my car, herefore avoiding having to use and wait for the employee bus. A car with any sort of power and having anything but winter tires on, was like ice skating. His car had to be driven at 5mph to make it to the lot without spinning out. EVen down here in NJ, if it drops below 32 with the moisture in the air, the dew on the rad gets slick, its dangerous with my RWD. I just switched from the FWD Acura in October, its night and Day. Your results are probably due to the fact you are in a truck with truck tires.

Yikes! You are right about the muscle cars... Even the little import rockets I guess?... I remember cruising to school on the 290 towards UB and doing circles down the road in my 1979 RX-7... Boy was I crapping bricks (I was young... :thumbsup::thumbsup: )

Me--1996 Ford Explorer with over 200k on it. ( id rive quite a bit to dc and back from richmond0

Wife--2006 328I Convertible 30K miles

Nanny-2007 GMC Yukon 19k miles

People always hassle me how i buy i new car and give it to the nanny to drive, but i kinda have a strong like (some may even call it love) for the expoler that I have now 12 years!!!

Prius

....... Sucka fools! :censored::devil::devil:

:lol::lol:

What is with you guys that drive Prius'? My sister in VT (I said VT... :thumbsup::thumbsup: ) drives one and had to make it known in her Christmas "form letter." :lol:

BTW... VT is ranked the number one "green state"... Yet, for some unexplicable reason the people in that state drive the most to where they want to get to! Go figure! Effing NIMBY's!

;)

:nana: