Who will be McCain's running mate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to think outside the box and say Kristin the Prostitute.

She'll attract the youth vote, she's a woman, people are apparently into her signing, and she can help make up the difference in the U.S. budget.

VP for whore? With the US budget to actually keep the money? I can get behind her err that.

Weekly Standard: Romney Is McCain's Best VP Option

Pretty good argument made. I might actually support this ticket, as I think this country needs someone w/ Romney's economic and 'miracle turnaround' experience. McCain says the economy is his weak suit. Can't have that unfilled in the times we're now facing.

But then, there is the acrimony built up b/w them during the campaign. That was so last month tho, and the axiom rings true that politics makes for short memories and strange bedfellows.

But then, there's plenty of far-right Republicans who wouldn't vote for McCain, either...though I'm not sure they'd go as far as voting for Clinton or Obama. But still, given that in '04 quite a few people voted "the other party" because "their guy" was a complete schmuck, it's not unprecedented.

Not really. The defection rates in the 04 election were about the same as normal.

In 2004: 11% for the Dems, 7% for the Republicans.

Historic defection rates (from memory, so maybe not entirely accurate, but right around here): 10.5% for the Dems, 7% for Republicans.

We actually saw much higher defection rates in the 2000 election - only 86% of all Democrats voted for Gore, and 91% of all Republicans voted for Bush.

I still think the Republicans squeak out yet another close win in November, simply because over the past 20 or so years they've done a far better job mobilizing their base than the Democrats have, and I see no signs of that changing. But I wouldn't even dream of betting on it.

But really...as long as we never, ever, ever again in my lifetime have another Bush or Clinton in the White House, I'm good. :thumbsup:

What is interesting is that the deflection rates for the Democrats could be enormous, if a recent Pew poll suggesting around 20% defection rates to McCain if Obama is the nominee is correct.

With McCain's age, his VP has a 50-50 chance of stepping in during his term. So no Dan Quayles or Fundamental Christians need apply. That leaves out the Huckster. I think that Romney would be a pretty solid choice.

50-50, a totally baseless statement. The attached tables indicate it's much lower than that. According to the tables, McCain is expected to live another 12 years. Someone who reviewed the tables in a posting based on them pegged it at less than 14% for a one term and around 25% for a two term McCain-I can't verify that math. Never let reality stop you from posting that a 71 year old guy is on the verge of death. It's the same mentality that has had people expecting Ralph Wilson to die tommorrow for the past 20 years.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

50-50, a totally baseless statement. The attached tables indicate it's much lower than that. According to the tables, McCain is expected to live another 12 years. Someone who reviewed the tables in a posting based on them pegged it at less than 14% for a one term and around 25% for a two term McCain-I can't verify that math. Never let reality stop you from posting that a 71 year old guy is on the verge of death. It's the same mentality that has had people expecting Ralph Wilson to die tommorrow for the past 20 years.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

Not meaning to be so grim here, but the actuarials don't take into account individual health history. McCain has a long history of melanoma, prostate problems, whatever it is that swelled both of his cheeks (looks similar to Jerry Lewis), his Vietnam injuries --- difficult for him to raise his arms, and knee problem... to say nothing of what happened in his Hanoi Hilton stay.

When he's on stage, on TeeVee, he looks pale and old. Not saying that's what people should base their vote on, but you'd be wrong if you think voters won't consider his age and health. Subsequently the issue of who he picks as a VP is pretty big. A lot of 'experts' say this is what doomed the Dole candidacy. Half of the battle for the presidency is fitting the image; then again, right now, we're narrowed down to three who break the mold.

Not meaning to be so grim here, but the actuarials don't take into account individual health history. McCain has a long history of melanoma, prostate problems, whatever it is that swelled both of his cheeks (looks similar to Jerry Lewis), his Vietnam injuries --- difficult for him to raise his arms, and knee problem... to say nothing of what happened in his Hanoi Hilton stay.

And on the plus side, he'll have access to best the medical care in the world.

I'm not super concerned with McCain's age. It might help him with senior voters the way Obama's age helps him with young voters (and the way Hillary's temperment helps her with bitchy, useless people).

I'm not super concerned with McCain's age. It might help him with senior voters the way Obama's age helps him with young voters (and the way Hillary's temperment helps her with bitchy, useless people).

We'll see, I think it can do more to hurt him than good, especially running against a younger candidate like Obama.

From Pew:

Nearly a third of all voters (32%) believe that, at 71 years old, McCain is too old to be president, while 66% say that being 71 does not make him too old. Opinions about whether McCain is too old to be president are comparable with views about Bob Dole during the 1996 campaign. In March 1996, 34% said Dole, who would have been 73 upon inauguration, was too old, while 63% said he was not.

I'll put $200 on it. But not cash, something worth $200. I like wine, what do you like?

I like booze. But my offer is still just $100. How about I will buy you $100 worth of any wine of your choice if Obama doesn't win, and you buy me $100 worth of Crown Royal if he does.

Although, like I said, unless something crazy happens between now and then. Some incredible crisis or gaffe. We would have to agree that the bet was off. Like, for example, if this pastor's stuff were to derail Obama's campaign because more people questioned his character, I would NOT think that was cause enough to call off the bet. I mean something unforeseen that is obvious, like an Eliot Spitzer sized scandal or another 9/11 type attack that threw the entire race out of whack.

I like booze. But my offer is still just $100. How about I will buy you $100 worth of any wine of your choice if Obama doesn't win, and you buy me $100 worth of Crown Royal if he does.

Although, like I said, unless something crazy happens between now and then. Some incredible crisis or gaffe. We would have to agree that the bet was off. Like, for example, if this pastor's stuff were to derail Obama's campaign because more people questioned his character, I would NOT think that was cause enough to call off the bet. I mean something unforeseen that is obvious, like an Eliot Spitzer sized scandal or another 9/11 type attack that threw the entire race out of whack.

Deal...and if Hillary wins we I buy the wine for me, you buy the Crown Royal for yourself and we proceed to get !@#$ing plastered.

Lieberman is angling for the job. He's got his nose so far up McCain's butt that he's almost as brown as Obama.

:thumbsup:

I think it's a foregone conclusion who McCain is going to choose...."uhm here John Let me help you with that";

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2bn_xK...aLK9AAD8VGBT080

With McCain's fixation on Iraq, making it the centerpeice of his campaign, and his probable choice of Lieberman Obama could stand before a microphone reciting Soul on Ice and announce he was releasing Johnny Muhammad from jail to make him his running mate and he would still crush McCain.

That's how toxic Iraq is now.

Picking Lieberman would be a death knell for McCain's bid. Conservatives are already leery of JMac; picking a guy who used to be a (and is currently caucused as a) Democrat as his VP would ensure the conservative vote stays home. Big mistake if he doesn't pick a running mate who's in line with the party core; as that is he'll have a hard time winning, if he picks across another liberal or RINO, he loses in a landslide.

I wouldn't complain about losing Lieberman tho. Connecticut, in his time in the Senate, has routinely gotten back ~ 40 cents on the dollar from what we pay in federal taxes --- and for tony CT, that's no small figure. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Lieberman.

Picking Lieberman would be a death knell for McCain's bid. Conservatives are already leery of JMac; picking a guy who used to be a (and is currently caucused as a) Democrat as his VP would ensure the conservative vote stays home. Big mistake if he doesn't pick a running mate who's in line with the party core; as that is he'll have a hard time winning, if he picks across another liberal or RINO, he loses in a landslide.

I wouldn't complain about losing Lieberman tho. Connecticut, in his time in the Senate, has routinely gotten back ~ 40 cents on the dollar from what we pay in federal taxes --- and for tony CT, that's no small figure. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Lieberman.

All McCain's career and methods have been about is pissing off the radical Limbaugh right wing of the party...and God love him for it...why would he possibly change now?

Otherwise he might as well mosey down the lame Dole/Kemp way of '96.

You watch too much Fox 'News'

All McCain's career and methods have been about is pissing off the radical Limbaugh right wing of the party...and God love him for it...why would he possibly change now?

Otherwise he might as well mosey down the lame Dole/Kemp way of '96.

If he wants to have a snowball's chance of winning, it's what he needs to do. Presidential losers have a history of not adequately mending fences w/in their party.

JMac hoping that he can cut in on the Dem vote and steal the election that way is borderline retarded.

If the Maverick streak doesn't subside, it'll be a blowout.

If he wants to have a snowball's chance of winning, it's what he needs to do. Presidential losers have a history of not adequately mending fences w/in their party.

JMac hoping that he can cut in on the Dem vote and steal the election that way is borderline retarded.

If the Maverick streak doesn't subside, it'll be a blowout.

Naw, not really. He can act like DLC bigshot Bill Clinton did in '92 and '96 when he gave enuff lip service to the party's left wing...and then proceeded to crap all over them and govern from the right after he was safely ensconced in office.

That's what it appears McCain is doing now.....besides Joey Lieberman is the Right's favorite Dem.