Ferraro should not have resigned

It's also a semantic argument. Do a huge number of people vote for Obama because he is black? Of course. It's inarguable. But she said it as if it gave him an unfair advantage. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't black. That takes into account all of the voters, not just the Obama voters. She implied there are more people that vote for him because he was black that DON'T vote for him because he was black. IMO, the don'ts is higher if not much higher than the dos.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this is a creation of the Democrats, and not of the civil war?

Learn something new everyday.

If you would like to learn something new today, learn about the Hayes-Tilden 1876 Presidential deadlock, the compromise, the cessation of Reconstruction, and the Democrat party's implementation of the Jim Crow laws.

While you are learning, check out Little Rock, Faubus, Maddox, Wallace, etc.

For Ferraro to be called a racist after stating the fact that Obama wouldn't be where he is without being black is ridiculous. He clearly is getting 90% of the black vote because in part due to his ethnicity, as well as votes from whites who feel that a non-white president would be a positive message to send to the world. He may very well still be contending if he was white based on his skills, but I doubt he would be getting 90% of the black vote, which has been the difference in many state primaries and caucuses. I'm disappointed that Hillary has distanced herself from Ferraro. The Obama campaign needs to be challenged on their repeated labeling people as racists because they point out the facts about how ethnicity is a factor in this election, just as gender is a factor for Hillary. If this continues, the Obama campaign risks pushing moderate white voters away who don't appreciate the race card being used without cause.

Although I do think she needed to resign, if not to just save face, I don't think the comment was racist. It was about race, but it wasn't racist- she was addressing that race is playing a major role in Obama's candidacy, in her opinion. This reminds me of when Rush Limbaugh was on NFL Countdown, or whatever the show is called, and he said that McNabb wasn't a good QB and was only portrayed that way b/c the media wanted a black QB to succeed. Regardless of the ridiculousness of the statement, it wasn't racist, it was a comment about race and media. Yet, because Limbaugh brought up race, everyone screamed racist. Same thing here, IMO. I think Ferraro's statement was laughable in it's absurdity, but it wasn't racist.

Damn, I just saw my post count is destroyed.

For Ferraro to be called a racist after stating the fact that Obama wouldn't be where he is without being black is ridiculous. He clearly is getting 90% of the black vote because in part due to his ethnicity, as well as votes from whites who feel that a non-white president would be a positive message to send to the world. He may very well still be contending if he was white based on his skills, but I doubt he would be getting 90% of the black vote, which has been the difference in many state primaries and caucuses. I'm disappointed that Hillary has distanced herself from Ferraro. The Obama campaign needs to be challenged on their repeated labeling people as racists because they point out the facts about how ethnicity is a factor in this election, just as gender is a factor for Hillary. If this continues, the Obama campaign risks pushing moderate white voters away who don't appreciate the race card being used without cause.

I'll give her this much: her comments weren't as racist as yours.

Anyone notice how the Democratic Party makes the election about race and gender? :)

Is that why white folks are voting for him? Have you done exit polls? I guess that would make sense because I doubt they're voting for him because he has substnce. :)

I'll give her this much: her comments weren't as racist as yours.

Anyone notice how the Democratic Party makes the election about race and gender? :angry:

But at the same time has the unmitigated gall to ask us all to continue to operate under the assumption that Republicans are the "real" racists/sexists. :thumbsup:

I suppose the one thing we can all look forward to is somewhere between: people taking a second to question that assumption and the final, long overdue end to the "Democrat Racists are less Racist than Republican Racists" argument being accepted by anybody anymore.

It is amusing. Too much pressure in a very tight race seems to be getting the best of the Dem's. Say what you want about the current administration (and people do!) but the inclusion of (qualified) people of various races was more than just a staged event at the 2004 RNC.

Define qualified...

:thumbsup::angry::(:lol:

So can someone please please explain how it happens that a man who has a black father, and a white mother, is "BLACK"? One drop of black blood makes you black? Why doesn't one drop of white blood make you white? And who gets to pick which is which?

Anyone ever read Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis?

It's sort of pathetic that after all these years as America gets more "brown" we still have to label races.

I don't care what color he is, he's amazingly charismatic, a powerful speaker, a very bright man, and so far as we know there's no real dirt on him except an unfortunate middle name. The fact that he hasn't spent his life wheeling and dealing with political fat cats and corporate interests (which is the sum total of Hillary Clinton's vast "experience") is part of his attractiveness. He has enough political experience and a genuine caring for our country and all its people, not just the rich, pretty ones. He has at least as much experience as George W. Bush, and he's a hell of a lot smarter.

A little reminder Joe...from twenty years ago.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/030..._flashback.html

No. A lot of people (IMO) voted for Obama because he voted against the war. They voted for him because he felt the way many people did in the fall of '02 and spring of '03... Those ideas that were summarily dismissed by the war banging, intelligence/gov't trusting fools out there. Many people (both sides of the aisle... Including others who don't affilate with either party too) didn't have the fortitude to speak out during this time of intense PC (patriotically correct) pressure and "enabled" the Bush administration to launch a full scale invasion on Iraq.

No. A lot of people (IMO) voted for Obama because he voted against the war. They voted for him because he felt the way many people did in the fall of '02 and spring of '03... Those ideas that were summarily dismissed by the war banging, intelligence/gov't trusting fools out there. Many people (both sides of the aisle... Including others who don't affilate with either party too) didn't have the fortitude to speak out during this time of intense PC (patriotically correct) pressure and "enabled" the Bush administration to launch a full scale invasion on Iraq.

I spoke out against it (the war) often here during those early times..under several auspecies...I had to because of the pro war fever, not just on this board but the corporate media as well, was getting out of hand...and dividing the country.

I've been to several protest marches coast to coast as well as locally.

Do I gloat over how right we all were...no, not really there's still much work to be done.

What I can't stand is the Billary/DLC coalition planting their lies when all the time back in '03 they fell in lockstep behind the neocons.

She is truly a monster.

If he was white he never would have been chosen for the DNC speech, and he would have faced a real challenger for the Senate race.

The PJ HRC excuse factory is working overtime.

Yeah! Obama, stop calling her racist! Stop pulling out the race card! :lol:

Asked if the remarks were racist, Obama said, "I don't think she intended them that way." But he called them "ridiculous" and "wrong-headed."

"The notion that it is a great advantage to me to be an African American named Barack Obama and pursue the presidency, I think, is not a view that has been commonly shared by the general public," he said.

If you are the first to mention race, I'd say you're the one playing the card. To my recollection, Ferraro was the one who brought this up with her stupid remarks.

If you would like to learn something new today, learn about the Hayes-Tilden 1876 Presidential deadlock, the compromise, the cessation of Reconstruction, and the Democrat party's implementation of the Jim Crow laws.

While you are learning, check out Little Rock, Faubus, Maddox, Wallace, etc.

If you want to argue that the party of Kennedy is the party of Jim Crow, I'll have that argument with you any day of the week.

There's a reason Strom and co. defected to the GOP.

It's also a semantic argument. Do a huge number of people vote for Obama because he is black? Of course. It's inarguable. But she said it as if it gave him an unfair advantage. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't black. That takes into account all of the voters, not just the Obama voters. She implied there are more people that vote for him because he was black that DON'T vote for him because he was black. IMO, the don'ts is higher if not much higher than the dos.

No, 'unfair advantage' was the spin the media put on her remarks - she was just stating the fact of the advantage. In the same breadth, she said that she herself would never have been nominated as VP had she not been a woman. It stretches the imagination to suggest that you would imply the advantage was unfair while at the same time making the same point about your own accomplishments.