Levy Comments about Turner

jri111

Levy: Trade For Turner Would Be A Surprise

by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 4/18/2007 1:05 PM ET

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=4710

The Bills have made little secret about their interest in San Diego restricted free agent running back Michael Turner, but seeing a trade consummated by the two clubs prior to the draft appears unlikely according to Buffalo GM Marv Levy.

"There's nothing new to report right now," said Levy Wednesday. "There are so many complexities to the deal that if it's done I've got to tell you it'd be a surprise."

Levy is no doubt referring to the fact that not only would the Bills and Chargers have to agree on compensation to orchestrate the trade of Turner, but Buffalo would also presumably need to have a long term contract agreement in place with Turner's agent for a trade to be completed.

When asked if the Bills would be willing to surrender their first round pick in this year's draft for Turner, Levy chose not to comment.

"We wouldn't disclose what our strategy would be or what would happen with it," said Levy. "It's more complex than what we would offer right now. There are so many factors in it that I'd prefer not to talk about all of them. Let me put it that way."

Dammit Marv, don't do it. He's practically shouting to the world that he's willing to give up a 1 & 3 to get Turner. I think this is a big mistake by Marv. :blink:

I don't necessarily think so. I just think he's not backing himself into a corner by putting a cap on it. If he comes out and says that absolutely no way they will give up a first rounder, then A.J. has less incentive to try to make a deal happen with Marv and the two sides come to a stand still. If Marv doesn't say it, then on draft day AJ will at least think Marv's willing to consider giving up a 1st (even if he's not) and will be more inclined to negotiate with Buffalo (as opposed to other teams). Obviously, it comes to a point (ideally during the draft) where marv says, no way we give up our first, here's our offer, take it or leave it. But right now, there's no reason to back yourself into a corner.

Levy: Trade For Turner Would Be A Surprise

by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 4/18/2007 1:05 PM ET

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=4710

The Bills have made little secret about their interest in San Diego restricted free agent running back Michael Turner, but seeing a trade consummated by the two clubs prior to the draft appears unlikely according to Buffalo GM Marv Levy.

"There's nothing new to report right now," said Levy Wednesday. "There are so many complexities to the deal that if it's done I've got to tell you it'd be a surprise."

Levy is no doubt referring to the fact that not only would the Bills and Chargers have to agree on compensation to orchestrate the trade of Turner, but Buffalo would also presumably need to have a long term contract agreement in place with Turner's agent for a trade to be completed.

When asked if the Bills would be willing to surrender their first round pick in this year's draft for Turner, Levy chose not to comment.

"We wouldn't disclose what our strategy would be or what would happen with it," said Levy. "It's more complex than what we would offer right now. There are so many factors in it that I'd prefer not to talk about all of them. Let me put it that way."

This part actually concerns me the most, becuase it indicates potential problems with contract talks between the Bills and Turner. A Trade and compensation can be worked out anytime and the most likely senario is on draft day. However, if there is no long term contract in place a draft day trade is dead in the water.

Dammit Marv, don't do it. He's practically shouting to the world that he's willing to give up a 1 & 3 to get Turner. I think this is a big mistake by Marv. :blink:

You are really oversimplifying his response - to your own detriment since it is upsetting you.

Marv did not "shout" anything close to that. What he did say is that the answer to the question is not a simple "yes" or "no" which means exactly that. Thus, IF the Bills were to give up their 1st this year then a number of things have to happen - not only a pre agreement on an acceptable deal with Turner - but also players of interest for the Bils not on the draftboard at pick 12 and players of interest ON the draftboard for the Chargers. Plus, there will undoubtedly be other compensation to the Bills (such as the Chargers 1st or the chargers 2nd etc etc)/ The list is long of possibilities. Informing the media of this would simply help other potential trade partners (Tennesee). Therefore, it would be FOOLISH for Marv to answer the question.

relax, man. Marv is a pretty savvy guy.

and his 1st draft was , arguably, one of the best in Bills history.

Marv, how complex is it to say that you would not give up a first?!?

I really, really hope that Marv is not thinking about giving up a first for Turner. A third is plenty for a guy who has never started in the NFL and who only has a year left on his contract.

You are really oversimplifying his response - to your own detriment since it is upsetting you.

Marv did not "shout" anything close to that. What he did say is that the answer to the question is not a simple "yes" or "no" which means exactly that. Thus, IF the Bills were to give up their 1st this year then a number of things have to happen - not only a pre agreement on an acceptable deal with Turner - but also players of interest for the Bils not on the draftboard at pick 12 and players of interest ON the draftboard for the Chargers. Plus, there will undoubtedly be other compensation to the Bills (such as the Chargers 1st or the chargers 2nd etc etc)/ The list is long of possibilities. Informing the media of this would simply help other potential trade partners (Tennesee). Therefore, it would be FOOLISH for Marv to answer the question.

relax, man. Marv is a pretty savvy guy.

and his 1st draft was , arguably, one of the best in Bills history.

And Beerball rings one up.

That training crayonz has been giving you is starting to pay off.

All this says to me is that Marv is playing hardball just as AJ is and that they cannot agree right now on what the compensation will be. Marv is saying we just won't do it at what they want and is waiting for Smith to come down from his high horse. It's simple negotiating 101 rather than tipping any hand or making any predictions.

All this says to me is that Marv is playing hardball just as AJ is and that they cannot agree right now on what the compensation will be. Marv is saying we just won't do it at what they want and is waiting for Smith to come down from his high horse. It's simple negotiating 101 rather than tipping any hand or making any predictions.

I agree 100%. I think what Marv is doing is telling AJ that we'd be interested in a trade, but not for what you are offering. Not saying what he would or would not give up for Turner is exactly how you keep AJ guessing. Because let me tell you this, Turner at 2.5 mil a year and about 5-7 carries/game, behind the best RB in the league is not worth it. So AJ has to get something now before SD takes a $2.5 mil cap hit and nothing in return when Turner leaves next year.

:blink:

Did I miss something in Marv's statement?

You're crazy. If the Bills were offering a 1st and 3rd the deal would be done and the Chargers would be throwing a party to celebrate the deal. Nobody is going to give a 1st and 3rd for the guy. Nobody. Give Marv more credit than that. Hell they won't get a 1st round pick alone for him let alone another pick.

You're crazy. If the Bills were offering a 1st and 3rd the deal would be done and the Chargers would be throwing a party to celebrate the deal. Nobody is going to give a 1st and 3rd for the guy. Nobody. Give Marv more credit than that. Hell they won't get a 1st round pick alone for him let alone another pick.

The Trifecta! :blink: