Imus Suspended for Two Weeks ...

millbank

assclowns like Jesse & Sharpton

What do these two do for a living? Seriously. In so far as earning money? I understand that they are ambulance chasing muck rakers but have they ever made an honest buck? I'm really tired of Sharptons Goebbels -inspired rants. I wonder if he's heard from Tawana Brawley (sic) lately?

Good point Ed. People who have multi-millions NEVER move to another situation to try and make more. They are usually satisfied with what they already have. Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe when you're not a dinosaur.

Imus is getting up there in age, and his health isn't the greatest in the world. :w00t:

And, the point of the whole thing, IMO. While Imus still had a sizable audience (relative, of course) NOBODY talks about him anymore. He has become irrelevant. His popularity has been dwindling and...most importantly, the BIG rumor is he is trying to get out of his contract. He wants a Stern-like satellite radio deal.

While a stupid racist comment from Imus is not uncommon, one of this nature, at this time, is curious.

I agree...I think this will push him into the satellite radio camp. Can't see how he can recover from this. If he comes back, he'll be "self-censoring" to a point that he just doesn't have it anymore. I figure the best for all would be to release him from the contract and let him work something out with satellite radio. Actually, I suspect the guy isn't all that far from retirement in any event.

Political correctness gone amok. So much for free speech

He was suspended by his employer. I imagine many of our employers would review us if we were talking like this around the office. This has everything to do with how a company wants to represent itself and little to do with politics or political correctness, despite the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world getting involved. He's allowed to say what he wants, but if his company feels it's going to lose money by him doing so, Imus has to live with it. He did a dumb thing at work. Period.

And, the point of the whole thing, IMO. While Imus still had a sizable audience (relative, of course) NOBODY talks about him anymore. He has become irrelevant. His popularity has been dwindling and...most importantly, the BIG rumor is he is trying to get out of his contract. He wants a Stern-like satellite radio deal.

While a stupid racist comment from Imus is not uncommon, one of this nature, at this time, is curious.

This would have been his best oppurtunity to get fired. Just not apoligize, not go on Sharpton's show, say he's not sorry for his comments. You would see Sharpton, Jesse, and other groups start a boycott of CBS/MSNBC, forcing those companies to think about firing him, instead of suspending him. As long as he is on the air, he can keep it going by bringing it up every day.

I can't see that happening, I think Stern has enough clout at Sirius to keep Imus off the network... unless maybe Imus finally publically acknowledges that he is Stern's B word. That whole process would be much more humiliating than anything he is going through the past week. 0:)

You don't get the new model. Stern would welcome Imus. Imus and his loyal (if small) audience would put more $$ in Stern's pocket and bring more subscribers.

Remember: he hired Bubba the Love Sponge personally to be on his channel, and that's a guy he hated (in a radio hate kind of way). He's building a new empire and Imus could be a spoke in it. I see Imus joining because of his audience long before Opie and Anthony since they have less following and really no niche.

This would have been his best oppurtunity to get fired. Just not apoligize, not go on Sharpton's show, say he's not sorry for his comments. You would see Sharpton, Jesse, and other groups start a boycott of CBS/MSNBC, forcing those companies to think about firing him, instead of suspending him. As long as he is on the air, he can keep it going by bringing it up every day.

You make a good point, Jack. There are many angles to this thing, and I don't claim to have all the answers. But, I do believe it was, at least in part, a calculated move. Maybe he made a deal with CBS (and/or MSNBC). Perhaps by apologizing, he will get some consideration on getting out of his contract. Perhaps he overplayed his hand and found there wasn't the big job waiting for him. Perhaps the folks at Sirius wanted him to make an apology before they "officially" offer him a job.

Lots of possibilities, and some problems with them all. All I know is, for a couple of days Imus was "relevant" again...for all the wrong reasons.

You don't get the new model. Stern would welcome Imus. Imus and his loyal (if small) audience would put more $$ in Stern's pocket and bring more subscribers.

Remember: he hired Bubba the Love Sponge personally to be on his channel, and that's a guy he hated (in a radio hate kind of way). He's building a new empire and Imus could be a spoke in it. I see Imus joining because of his audience long before Opie and Anthony since they have less following and really no niche.

I hear ya, but I don't think he hates Imus in a radio kind of way, it's for real, with history that goes back over 20 years. He's just been crushing Imus the past 2 days, too funny.

And Bubba had to really suck up to get the gig... and still does, every promo he does, he has to mention "Howard 101". Can't see Imus doing that, but if he did, I would LMAO.

He was suspended by his employer. I imagine many of our employers would review us if we were talking like this around the office. This has everything to do with how a company wants to represent itself and little to do with politics or political correctness, despite the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world getting involved. He's allowed to say what he wants, but if his company feels it's going to lose money by him doing so, Imus has to live with it. He did a dumb thing at work. Period.

Imus has been saying stuff like that for years. It has nothing to do with anything other than CBS running scared over the usual media hype over anything that can be twisted into a racist event.

It's example #46,871,081 of something that no one would have ever heard about if we didn't have an insatiable 24x7 news/entertainment industry.

Imus has been saying stuff like that for years. It has nothing to do with anything other than CBS running scared over the usual media hype over anything that can be twisted into a racist event.

It's example #46,871,081 of something that no one would have ever heard about if we didn't have an insatiable 24x7 news/entertainment industry.

I believe Al Sharpton is renaming his show "The Al Sharpton First Stop For Apologizing For Racial Comments Show."

big !@#$ing deal . he will spend 2 weeks on vacation .big sh-- !

He's still doing his show on WFAN in the mornings. They did not suspend him in NY. He's not really suspended, it's more like the syndicators pulled the plug on his national broadcast for 2 weeks. Suspended people don't go to work as scheduled and keep doing their jobs, Imus is still doing his show, just not on MSNBC & CBS.

Edit: On my local newscast, they said his suspension starts Monday. So it might be next week-I'll have to listen to WFAN next Monday to be sure.

He's still doing his show on WFAN in the mornings. They did not suspend him in NY. He's not really suspended, it's more like the syndicators pulled the plug on his national broadcast for 2 weeks. Suspended people don't go to work as scheduled and keep doing their jobs, Imus is still doing his show, just not on MSNBC & CBS.

Edit: On my local newscast, they said his suspension starts Monday. So it might be next week-I'll have to listen to WFAN next Monday to be sure.

He's off for 2 weeks starting Monday, & both CBS & MSNBC will air something different in that time - not reruns. (I hope CBS airs Opie & Anthony during that time slot)