Imus Suspended for Two Weeks ...

millbank

Imus

MSNBC and CBS have decided to suspend Don Imus for two weeks following his reference last week to members of the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

MSNBC first announced it would suspend telecasting Imus' radio program for two weeks, beginning April 16..

A short time later, CBS announced it will suspend its broadcast of Imus' radio program for the same two week period.

Despite apologies from Imus on Friday and Monday, the suspension will start next Monday, MSNBC said in a written statement.

"Don Imus has expressed profound regret and embarrassment and has made a commitment to listen to all of those who have raised legitimate expressions of outrage," it said.

"In addition, his dedication -- in his words -- to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate. Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word."

Two of the nation's biggest media companies -- CBS Corp. and NBC Universal -- will ultimately decide the fate of Imus' daily program.

If they just suspended Imus with no announcement, would anyone have noticed?

Kind of like a tree falling in the woods.

And, the point of the whole thing, IMO. While Imus still had a sizable audience (relative, of course) NOBODY talks about him anymore. He has become irrelevant. His popularity has been dwindling and...most importantly, the BIG rumor is he is trying to get out of his contract. He wants a Stern-like satellite radio deal.

While a stupid racist comment from Imus is not uncommon, one of this nature, at this time, is curious.

"The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors". - Sid Rosenberg

Gee, I wonder why the media is lynching Imus and McGuirck and not picking on old Sid? Hmmm... Lets see what else he has said:

On Kyle Minogue battling breast cancer: " ... ain't gonna be so beautiful when the B word got bald head and one titty."

On the death of Yasser Arafat and what should be done to Palestine: "They ought to drop the bomb right there, kill 'em all right now"

He said the Williams sisters were better suited for National Geographic magazine.

and

"faggots play tennis"

among many others

Once again I despise what he says but the grease ball has the right to say it, I just find it interesting that Sharpton, J Jackson and the media has never really held this guy accountable for his remarks as they have others. I wonder why?

BTW he use to bash the city of Buffalo all the time when the Bills or Sabres were discussed, when I listened to him on WFAN. I can't believe they paired someone as classy and professional as Joe Benigno (Jets fan) with this piece of trash.

And, the point of the whole thing, IMO. While Imus still had a sizable audience (relative, of course) NOBODY talks about him anymore. He has become irrelevant. His popularity has been dwindling and...most importantly, the BIG rumor is he is trying to get out of his contract. He wants a Stern-like satellite radio deal.

He would never get Howard's money of course but he might be suited for satellite. He has little bits of an audience in a bunch of cities (and no audience in any one city so his ratings suck). He could probably keep his career alive going to satellite but it's hard to imagine he'd make much money doing it. With the exception of Howard, the satellite stations aren't dishing out huge money to talk radio DJs.

Sirius has the more talent-oriented lineup so they'd be more likely to bid for him.

Do not be at all surprised if he will stay on this week for the Imus Telethon , resign. Then go on the circuit for a number of months, show himself a good guy and then be signed by Sirius.....

He would never get Howard's money of course but he might be suited for satellite. He has little bits of a national audience and the ratings system isn't supporting him at all. He could probably keep his career alive going to satellite but it's hard to imagine he'd make much money doing it.

Sirius has the more talent-oriented lineup so they'd be more likely to bid for him.

Do not be at all surprised if he will stay on this week for the Imus Telethon , resign. Then go on the circuit for a number of months, show himself a good guy and then be signed by Sirius.....

Do you think Imus would move at this point? He has to be set financially for life, and he can then focus more on his ranch and charity work.

Of course, if Sirius set him up at the Ranch, then who knows.

He would never get Howard's money of course but he might be suited for satellite. He has little bits of an audience in a bunch of cities (and no audience in any one city so his ratings suck). He could probably keep his career alive going to satellite but it's hard to imagine he'd make much money doing it. With the exception of Howard, the satellite stations aren't dishing out huge money to talk radio DJs.

I agree that Imus won't get Stern $ (hell, Stern wouldn't get Stern $ today :w00t: ). I'm not even sure Imus would be better off than he is now with a satellite deal. What I can imagine is that Imus thinks he would be better off in Satellite, based on Stern's deal. Never underestimate the arrogance of "talent". The bottom line is, Imus has been rumored to be trying to get out of his contract. This MAY be a step in that direction.

Do you think Imus would move at this point? He has to be set financially for life, and he can then focus more on his ranch and charity work.

Of course, if Sirius set him up at the Ranch, then who knows.

Good point Ed. People who have multi-millions NEVER move to another situation to try and make more. They are usually satisfied with what they already have. Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Good point Ed. People who have multi-millions NEVER move to another situation to try and make more. They are usually satisfied with what they already have. Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

That dude is not Ed. He is someone trying to make everyone think he is Ed. He is pretty good at it too. He must have done a fair amount of research on Ed's old posts.

I thought he'd disappear when Ed came back to make it look good. He hasn't had the chance because Ed hasn't been around. Ed is married now and probably not allowed near a computer.

That dude is not Ed. He is someone trying to make everyone think he is Ed. He is pretty good at it too. He must have done a fair amount of research on Ed's old posts.

I thought he'd disappear when Ed came back to make it look good. He hasn't had the chance because Ed hasn't been around. Ed is married now and probably not allowed near a computer.

Yellow!

I can't see that happening, I think Stern has enough clout at Sirius to keep Imus off the network... unless maybe Imus finally publically acknowledges that he is Stern's B word. That whole process would be much more humiliating than anything he is going through the past week. :w00t: