Planet Earth

Pete

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it?

The Discovery Channel is running this 11 part (I'm pretty sure it's 11) mini-series called Planet Earth. It took them years to film and edit. It basically shows every eco-system and all of the species on Earth.

It is incredible.

Pete, did you see that Great White get that seal? The picture quality and camera work was AMAZING.

The Discovery Channel is running this 11 part (I'm pretty sure it's 11) mini-series called Planet Earth. It took them years to film and edit. It basically shows every eco-system and all of the species on Earth.

It is incredible.

Pete, did you see that Great White get that seal? The picture quality and camera work was AMAZING.

Yeah, we've been watching it to. Sigorney Weaver does the narration and she's also a producer. Great series.

Truly! That attack was at 1/50 of the speed too. How the hell did they get that shot?

I hope you are all watching the HD broadcast of this. My wife (who never watches nature shows) and myself watched last night. It was breathtaking.

It's not showing on anything but Discovery HD here in Philly. Bummer.

Is it really worth it? It's coming out on HD DVD in a couple of a weeks and has been selling pretty well. I never heard of it before.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...onyswebsit02-20

CW

Definately worth it! Especially if you have HDTV and a nice home theater system set up- like you do. This planet is so !@#$ing beautiful! It is the kind of show that you would have be playing on plasma tvs at Tweeter Etc constantly. Absolutely breathtaking!

Is it really worth it? It's coming out on HD DVD in a couple of a weeks and has been selling pretty well. I never heard of it before.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...onyswebsit02-20

CW

I dunno - it's glossy and slick - but doesn't go into too many details. I usually like more in depth reporting. That great white shark attack was cool though.

It's not showing on anything but Discovery HD here in Philly. Bummer.

It was on on regular Discovery network last night as well, we flipped back and forth a couple of times just to view the difference between the SD and HD image.

I LOVE my PS3 :w00t:

and it cost me less than my A1. :w00t:

Not to hijack the thread, but did you see that Best Buy has the new A2 for $400, including 4 free movies from Best Buy and 5 free movies from Toshiba? Pretty kickin' deal.

And you must've paid way too much for your A1 -- I got mine for $400 last year. I'm frugal :w00t:

CW

I dunno - it's glossy and slick - but doesn't go into too many details. I usually like more in depth reporting. That great white shark attack was cool though.

Another iteration of many shows, through the years. Been there, seen it.

I'm guessing the makers figured they can make an advertising revenue bonanza what with today's global warming propaganda that people and politicos and grant-seeking scientists looking for loot and/or election foist hither and yon (still waiting for Gore et al to tell me why long before the industrial society, today's icy Greenland was named such because it was green then in Viking times, or why planets Jupiter and Mars are also currently warming...uh?...could it be solar activity? :w00t: ).

I've little doubt that after it has it's commercial, profit-garnering run, the series will be utilized to indoctrinate that captive audience....school children. :w00t:

Definately worth it! Especially if you have HDTV and a nice home theater system set up- like you do. This planet is so !@#$ing beautiful! It is the kind of show that you would have be playing on plasma tvs at Tweeter Etc constantly. Absolutely breathtaking!

You know what's really cool. Take a walk outside and open your eyes and ears. HDTV... :w00t:

An imitation, a new iteration of tons of shows through the years.

I'm guessing the makers figured they can make an advertising revenue bonanza what with today's global warming propaganda that people and politicos and grant-seeking scientists looking for loot foist hither and yon (still waiting for Gore et al to tell me why long before the industrial society, today's icy Greenland was named such because it was green then, or why Jupiter and Mars are also currently warming...uh?...could it be solar activity? :w00t: ).

I've little doubt that after it has it's commercial, profit-garnering run, the series will be utilized to indoctrinate that captive audience....school children. :w00t:

Have you seen it? I am a huge nature show fan and have been watching them my whole life-literally 1000s of episodes. The cinematography in this is the greatest I have ever seen. David Attenburough is the man and everything he has done is quite excellent. I suggest you watch an episode before you are so quick to criticize. Our planet is gorgeous!