Get Turner for swap of firsts? Would you do it?

No.

1. Pick #12 provides us plenty of options to choose from: Willis, Lynch or Hall.

2. Why help another AFC team to take a impact player at that position when they

are already a loaded team.

3. Michael Turner is as much unknown as a Peterson or Lynch, however is 3 years older

than the other two. I will rather go with a younger player.

4. I don't like AJ Smith and don't want to do a favor for him and his team.

True, but Turner has NFL playing experience, and has already proved he can play in the NFL, Lynch and Peterson are complete unknowns to the pro level

If you could get Michael Turner AND SD's #30 pick for our #12 would you do it? This would guarentee we'd be out of the running for Patrick Willis, but if he's gone at #12 anyway, Marv would look pretty smart.

By the way, does anyone know the point formula for swapping picks?

PTR

I wonder what Stew Barber would do?

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't touch my first round pick for Turner even if we got the Chargers 1st. The highest I go is a swap of seconds and a 3rd NEXT year. I hope Tennessee signs him soon so all this crap can stop.

The 12th pick is worth 1,200 points and the 30th overall pick is worth 620 points, so its a 580 point difference, which would equate to the 33rd overall pick in the draft (1st pick in 2nd round). Id almost pull a the trigger on a swap like that.

There is a danger here that we will think our way right in to a terrible draft by getting too cute. This kind of thing is the Tom Donohoe style. I know just sitting tight and taking a good player you need is not as fascinating or exciting as wheeling and dealing but I think it is the best way to go, at least for this team in this draft. There is absolutely going to be a very good player at a position we really need to fill available at 12. We can all argue about which guy is best or which position we need most. Even so, I think all would agree that we could make out pretty good with anyone from this group: Okoye, Lynch, Willis, Houston, Revis, Branch a few others.

I see no reason to think our way out of what is a pretty sweet situation as it is. Lets sit and see what the options are when it is time for our pick. That is the time to consider a trade, not now when we have no idea what is going to happedn during picks 1-11. Maybe a golden opporunity pops up because somebody slides unexpectedly or someone is taken earlier than predicted. Lets keep our options open.

I was for a swap of 1st's because I thought that it would get the job done plus we get an extra player. Giving up a choice outright loses a player.

The more I think of it, the more I think a swap of 2nd's is more like it. Marv can argue that T Jones went for a swap of 2's ( if I recall correctly) and ours is higher than the Jets. If AJ needs a little more, and I would work hard to not do so , give something 3 or lower next year. No outright choice or you lose a player. We need first day players THIS year.

If AJ doesn't go for it, tell him to pound sand and either pick at 12 or move down.

There is a danger here that we will think our way right in to a terrible draft by getting too cute. This kind of thing is the Tom Donohoe style. I know just sitting tight and taking a good player you need is not as fascinating or exciting as wheeling and dealing but I think it is the best way to go, at least for this team in this draft. There is absolutely going to be a very good player at a position we really need to fill available at 12. We can all argue about which guy is best or which position we need most. Even so, I think all would agree that we could make out pretty good with anyone from this group: Okoye, Lynch, Willis, Houston, Revis, Branch a few others.

I see no reason to think our way out of what is a pretty sweet situation as it is. Lets sit and see what the options are when it is time for our pick. That is the time to consider a trade, not now when we have no idea what is going to happedn during picks 1-11. Maybe a golden opporunity pops up because somebody slides unexpectedly or someone is taken earlier than predicted. Lets keep our options open.

But if you sit back and wait to see what happens, the price may go up instead of going down. Right now Buffalo is in control (slightly) because they can always say, "to rich for our blood, we'll take our chance in the draft".

If they wait til they pick to try and get what they want, and what they want goes somewhere else, SD is now in the drivers seat and the price goes up (alot) because Buffalo now becomes more desperate because theres atleast one less option to fall back on.

I was for a swap of 1st's because I thought that it would get the job done plus we get an extra player. Giving up a choice outright loses a player.

The more I think of it, the more I think a swap of 2nd's is more like it. Marv can argue that T Jones went for a swap of 2's ( if I recall correctly) and ours is higher than the Jets. If AJ needs a little more, and I would work hard to not do so , give something 3 or lower next year. No outright choice or you lose a player. We need first day players THIS year.

If AJ doesn't go for it, tell him to pound sand and either pick at 12 or move down.

Good point, using T. Jones as a baseline would be a good leverage point for the Bills because right now, Jones is more of an established player the Turner

But thats not likely to happen because Turner is being viewed as having more of an upside. It all depends on how the Bills rate him, and if SD is really determined to deal him

Good point, using T. Jones as a baseline would be a good leverage point for the Bills because right now, Jones is more of an established player the Turner

But thats not likely to happen because Turner is being viewed as having more of an upside. It all depends on how the Bills rate him, and if SD is really determined to deal him

People shouldn't get too hung up on what the Thomas Jones trade was for. It was a different situation. The Jets also signed Jones to about a 20 million dollar contract with 12 million guaranteed. Is that "swap of second round pick" money? No. Willis was traded for two threes and a 7 and then got a contract that the 5th-6th overall pick in the draft gets. Every trade and signing and situation is different.

price is now a 1st and a 3rd. SD is friggin nuts putting in a $2.4M offer for a b/u rb. If nobody signs him thet have ~10-11M locked in at rb!

All the more reason for the Bills to play it cool. Let the Bolts sweat a little. If the flaming thumbtacks (Titans) want to overpay for Turner, let 'em. We can find a good RB in the draft if we have to.

PTR

SD only gave him the high tender to control the bidding. Same as Atlanta did with Shaub.

Turner will probably go for a 2nd round value (2nd round pick or swap of 1st rounders), give or take. Just look at what you guys got for Travis Henry and Willis McGahee, both of whom were more proven. Hell, Marshall Faulk was only traded for a high 2nd and a 5th...

Needing a volume of players, the advantage to the swap is we stay away from a big contract for a rookie and we still get a pretty good player at #30.

My problem is we need impact players and those tend to be higher in the draft. Be it Willis, Okoye or Branch, they will be gone by 30. Give em the second round pick or some sort of performance based pick for next year. I say stay at 12.

Thank you. Turner would be a great acqusition, but not at the expense of a very coveted 12th pk. AJ smith is inquiring an inordinate amount for burner :wallbash:

price is now a 1st and a 3rd. SD is friggin nuts putting in a $2.4M offer for a b/u rb. If nobody signs him thet have ~10-11M locked in at rb!

Peanuts. Peerless Price money.

Here's the latest direct from AJ Smith

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/06...01_394_5_07.txt

Turner visits Bills

The Buffalo Bills revealed that restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner visited the team on Thursday, prompting Chargers general manager A.J. Smith to confirm that the two teams have held trade discussions.

Turner is tendered at a level that would require any team signing him to a free-agent offer sheet to give up first- and third-round draft picks if the Chargers don't match it. The more likely scenario is that a trade will be worked out in which a team acquires Turner at a lower cost.

"We have had dialogue over the possibility of Michael Turner joining the Buffalo Bills and we have exchanged thoughts on compensation," Smith said. "Right now, like I've said before, it's a one and a three, but we will continue to be flexible. We're very open to any package."

The Chargers and Tennessee Titans have also conducted trade talks regarding Turner.

But if you sit back and wait to see what happens, the price may go up instead of going down. Right now Buffalo is in control (slightly) because they can always say, "to rich for our blood, we'll take our chance in the draft".

If they wait til they pick to try and get what they want, and what they want goes somewhere else, SD is now in the drivers seat and the price goes up (alot) because Buffalo now becomes more desperate because theres atleast one less option to fall back on.

We don't have to have Turner, there are a lot of good RB's in this draft (Peterson, Lynch, Irons, Bush, Pittman, Hunt, Walker, etc). San Diego has to get rid of this guy as he is almost useless to them now. The price on Turner is going nowhere but down. The worst thing that happens to us is Lynch and Peterson are gone by the 12th and so we take a guy in the second like Pittman, Bush or Irons.

We need a RB and there are plenty of good ones in this draft and they will cost us only one pick and a rookie contract. Tunrer is going to cost us more than one pick and a high priced FA contract on top of that. The leverage here is ours.

Trade our second and fourth to SD for Turner. Darft Willis at #12 and then package the thirds to get back into the 2nd to take a CB (such as Fresno State's Marcus McCauley, UNLV's Eric Wright, Cal's Daymeion Hughes, or Tennessee's Jonathan Wade) or OL (Justin Blalock). Then use the rest of the draft to pick up DL, LB and TE depth.

I like the sound of this...