"The Sopranos" Final Season Thread

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...left his gun at the scene of the crime ("Godfather" style) as well as part of his shirt...not too smart...

Could it be as predictable... he rats in order to stay with his family?

Could it be as predictable... he rats in order to stay with his family?

I thought Bobby was wearing latex gloves when he shot the guy. I will need to watch it again to be sure. at any rate, i don't think the drama is going to be about bobby taking the heat for the murder. i think it is going to be about the rift between him and tony; tony was always the biggest guy around who was the toughest and now he's older and weaker because of the shooting; also, bobby had never killed a guy before and now he has and he had always been somewhat of a "good" guy because of it but now his fate is completely tied to tony and the mob (as tony has a way of bringing everyone into his destiny path so to speak) i think bobby killing the guy represents the kind of rot eating away at the core of the "family" and the imminent beginning of the big downfall of the empire.

At any rate, I thought it was a great episode. This episode was in a lot of ways the calm before the storm, with the bobby and tony fight the initial eruption of the end times, so to speak. The scene that really encapsulates it is when after the fight tony is sitting on the dock just staring off in to the distance. Everything is really quiet. You can hear the bell on the dock "tolling" and a duck flies behind Tony for a brief second in the frame (reference to the pilot episode). They cut to Janice saying something to the affect "i've seen this kind of sitting on the dock thing before". And you can just see the wheels turning inside tony's head. the sh-- is about to explode and hit the fan. what an eerie episode, i thought.

I thought Bobby was wearing latex gloves when he shot the guy. I will need to watch it again to be sure. at any rate, i don't think the drama is going to be about bobby taking the heat for the murder. i think it is going to be about the rift between him and tony; tony was always the biggest guy around who was the toughest and now he's older and weaker because of the shooting; also, bobby had never killed a guy before and now he has and he had always been somewhat of a "good" guy because of it but now his fate is completely tied to tony and the mob (as tony has a way of bringing everyone into his destiny path so to speak) i think bobby killing the guy represents the kind of rot eating away at the core of the "family" and the imminent beginning of the big downfall of the empire.

At any rate, I thought it was a great episode. This episode was in a lot of ways the calm before the storm, with the bobby and tony fight the initial eruption of the end times, so to speak. The scene that really encapsulates it is when after the fight tony is sitting on the dock just staring off in to the distance. Everything is really quiet. You can hear the bell on the dock "tolling" and a duck flies behind Tony for a brief second in the frame (reference to the pilot episode). They cut to Janice saying something to the affect "i've seen this kind of sitting on the dock thing before". And you can just see the wheels turning inside tony's head. the sh-- is about to explode and hit the fan. what an eerie episode, i thought.

I thought for sure Tony was going to take a golf club to Bobbies head because he couldn't let the fight incident go. A real boss by the way would have shot Bobbie and his wife that night when he went into the room in the middle of the night to talk to Bobbie. But anyways I dont think we have seen the last of that incident. It will raise it's ugly head again. Bobby will become Tony's whipping boy.

I thought for sure Tony was going to take a golf club to Bobbies head because he couldn't let the fight incident go. A real boss by the way would have shot Bobbie and his wife that night when he went into the room in the middle of the night to talk to Bobbie. But anyways I dont think we have seen the last of that incident. It will raise it's ugly head again. Bobby will become Tony's whipping boy.

yeah tony really seemed on edge about it, and pre shooting he might have taken that golf club to his head but he's a little more reticent these days to go off completely like he used to. if bobby had been anyone else than his brother-in-law and janice anyone else but his sister, he might have gone even further, but tony is different after the shooting and much more reticent to inflict the full fury of his wrath. he kind of takes out some more sh-- on bobby, punishes him, by making him kill the dude in montreal. and no, i don't think we have seen the last of thie incident. if you remember, bobby was tony's whipping boy for a lot of the show until bobby started producing and then married janice. now bobby has kicked tony's ass and tony feels somewhat threatened by it, getting older and all. so now the whipping boy has gotten the physical one up on tony at least once. lots of tables are turning so to speak and this episode was all about signaling this for the final stretch run, imo.

And that's what Tony would have done in Season 4. The evolution of the character makes it interesting. But Tony did get Bobby -- he sent him to kill the guy in the end, one day after the conversation in the boat where Bobby expressed relief that he had never killed anyone. It's was Tony's way of still controlling him.

And yes, we really need a nude scene with Bianca 0:)

yeah tony really seemed on edge about it, and pre shooting he might have taken that golf club to his head but he's a little more reticent these days to go off completely like he used to. if bobby had been anyone else than his brother-in-law and janice anyone else but his sister, he might have gone even further, but tony is different after the shooting and much more reticent to inflict the full fury of his wrath. he kind of takes out some more sh-- on bobby, punishes him, by making him kill the dude in montreal. and no, i don't think we have seen the last of thie incident. if you remember, bobby was tony's whipping boy for a lot of the show until bobby started producing and then married janice. now bobby has kicked tony's ass and tony feels somewhat threatened by it, getting older and all. so now the whipping boy has gotten the physical one up on tony at least once. lots of tables are turning so to speak and this episode was all about signaling this for the final stretch run, imo.

If the fight had happened elsewhere (Janice and Carm don't know about it) Bobby would be fish food. He still could disappear, but I don't think that will happen. Bobby will come back and bite Tony in the ass--he's the weak link (even weaker than Christopher).

He's not going to shoot his sister. He's not going to shoot his brother n law and one of his captains.

And that's what Tony would have done in Season 4. The evolution of the character makes it interesting. But Tony did get Bobby -- he sent him to kill the guy in the end, one day after the conversation in the boat where Bobby expressed relief that he had never killed anyone. It's was Tony's way of still controlling him.

And yes, we really need a nude scene with Bianca 0:)

The evolution of Tony Soprano is very interesting, especially now after the shooting. i loved the episodes when he was Finnerty in the coma because they really began to delve into the Tony Soprano that only hung out deep down in his psyche. we have slowly seen some of the finnerty character come out in his life after he emerged in the coma. the finnerty self in this way somehow both represents the end for Tony but also the possibility for redemption of himself and his family from a life that as tony tells bobby in the boat about 80% of the time ends up in the clank or dead before your time.

And Bianca is way too hot for stupid dumbass AJ.

Kind of veering off the topic here, but one issue I think David Chase would be interested in clearing up before the show concludes is how could Tony have escaped the clutches of the Feds given the post/9-11 license the FBI has had to investigate domestic security issues.

Even if the FBI has been incompetent enough to lose four or five (six?) informants during the "Papa Bing" RICO sting, surely they would have found ways to more closely watch Tony with sneak and peak warrants, and do things short of sending him to Gitmo for interrogation ("You thirsty, Mr. Soprano?").

Kind of veering off the topic here, but one issue I think David Chase would be interested in clearing up before the show concludes is how could Tony have escaped the clutches of the Feds given the post/9-11 license the FBI has had to investigate domestic security issues.

Even if the FBI has been incompetent enough to lose four or five (six?) informants during the "Papa Bing" RICO sting, surely they would have found ways to more closely watch Tony with sneak and peak warrants, and do things short of sending him to Gitmo for interrogation ("You thirsty, Mr. Soprano?").

I would have to go back and look at some individual episodes to give a more detailed answer, but Tony touched on it this last episode, how he basically built Christopher into the mob and divested himself of day-to-day demands etc. to add a buffer zone between him and the mob activities. So the fact that he doesn't do any of the day to day work seems to help. Also, i think the feds are just waiting until they have a good enough case to pull the trigger (i.e. this last episode when they come in to the county prosecutor's offense and B word him out (rather funny i may add) about filing the gun charges against Tony when they've been working on a RICO case against him for 5 years. sounds like they don't want to leave any stone uncovered and make sure they have an airtight case) i think a big part of the mystery of the show is the hovering FBI that is always there but hasn't yet really shown its hand/played its cards with respect to tony yet. it seems obvious now that something is going to give on this end if the episode that just aired is any indication. maybe someone else can offer a better answer.

That would be completely contradictory to everything...Tony got his revenge on Bobby, by popping his murder cherry...Janice was touching on it when talking to Carmela...Tony has subtle ways of exacting revenge.

Remember how he put Ralphie, way back, in charge of killing Jackie JR. While he didn't make Ralph kill him directly, he had to prove his loyalty to Tony, be taking care of a difficult situation. He tells Ralph "I am not going to tell you what to do, if you want to give him a pass, so be it...but whatever you do, do it soon..." Sort of a passive/agressive way of telling Ralph to kill his girlfriends kid (and Tony's own daughters' boyfriend) without having to live with the weight of the actions himself.

Extremely minor spoiler alert for Sunday's episode:

I have a co-worker who's long-time friend from the Cleveland theatrical scene has a small walk-on role. He plays a cop who arrests Larry Boy Barese at the world premier of "Cleaver," and has to "drag him out by the neck."

I know, not exactly "Carmela Finds Adriana's Body"... :D

Extremely minor spoiler alert for Sunday's episode:

I have a co-worker who's long-time friend from the Cleveland theatrical scene has a small walk-on role. He plays a cop who arrests Larry Boy Barese at the world premier of "Cleaver," and has to "drag him out by the neck."

I know, not exactly "Carmela Finds Adriana's Body"... :D

For anyone who has HBO on Demand, there is a pretty amusing little feature (about 8 minutes long), a "behind the scenes" look at the mnaking of "Cleaver". They interview Little Carmine and Christopher (in Sopranos character) about the evolution of the movie....it is friggin hilarios...a total parody of how serious Hollywood types take themselves and their "creative process".....pay paticular attention to Molitisanti taking offense to the director referring to the audience of "fan boys" who the movie will appeal to...he thinks he says "fag boys"... :D

He's not going to shoot his sister. He's not going to shoot his brother n law and one of his captains.

Bobby's not a captain. That's why Tony is giving him the new thing to run and if he does a good job he'll promote him to captain.

Tony tried to smother his mother. I don't think he'd think twice about having Janice whacked if he thought she deserved it. It would take a lot to do it but I think he would.

Did anyone notice last season when the guys are beating Vito in his hotel room for being gay that Phil Leotardo comes out of the closet? I think that was more than a coincidence.

From the previews for next episode it looks like Carmella finds out something about Christopher she's ashamed of. They have a way of cutting those previews to mislead though.

Tony sent Bobby to whack the dude for two reasons. First to get back at him and second to test his loyalty and stomach for being a potential captain. Oops, I guess that's three. :D

I think this might be the best episode ever. I can't think of one that tops it. :D

Bobby's not a captain. That's why Tony is giving him the new thing to run and if he does a good job he'll promote him to captain.

Tony tried to smother his mother. I don't think he'd think twice about having Janice whacked if he thought she deserved it. It would take a lot to do it but I think he would.

Yeah but his mother tried to have him killed and she was a heinous witch beast of a demoness. Also, I think that Tony post-shooting is different from Tony pre-shooting.

Did anyone notice last season when the guys are beating Vito in his hotel room for being gay that Phil Leotardo comes out of the closet? I think that was more than a coincidence.

Yes, i did notice this. A patented Sopranos WTF novelistic touch that either portends something or is just a little touch added for dramatic flair

From the previews for next episode it looks like Carmella finds out something about Christopher she's ashamed of. They have a way of cutting those previews to mislead though.

maybe about adriana?

Tony sent Bobby to whack the dude for two reasons. First to get back at him and second to test his loyalty and stomach for being a potential captain. Oops, I guess that's three. :oops:

yes, i agree.

I think this might be the best episode ever. I can't think of one that tops it. :w00t:

To me, they just get better and better. i'm of the opinion that this show has only gotten better and better as it has deepened its character studies and gone into the psychological aspects of their relationships more. i don't need to see a guy get whacked every show for me to be as excited to watch it. to me it's the closest thing i've seen on TV to a literary sensibility. like this last episode: most of it was them sitting around by the lake, lots of still shots, quiet scenes, but so full of stuff to chew over. so yes i agree :thumbsup: