Bass Pro Deal finalized for downtown Bflo

DPR4444

yet another, i'll believe it when I see it

I wasn't as impressed when I went to the Bass Pro in Toronto (or Toronto area) It was alright, they look nice, but didn't see what the big deal was. I'm sure it will help Buffalo out a bit, It will put something on the waterfront, and be a source for more jobs, albeit, minimum wage jobs

This thing better be something really, really special. I have been to a pretty big Bass Pro Shop in Ft. Lauderdale. It is a fine store, but living in Miami, I have never taken the trouble to drive to Ft. Lauderdale just to go to Bass Pro Shop. I have only stopped by there if I am already in the neighborhood.

I hope that I am wrong, but I just do not see it being a huge tourist draw -- at least not of the type that would justify the amount of public money that is going into it.

This thing better be something really, really special. I have been to a pretty big Bass Pro Shop in Ft. Lauderdale. It is a fine store, but living in Miami, I have never taken the trouble to drive to Ft. Lauderdale just to go to Bass Pro Shop. I have only stopped by there if I am already in the neighborhood.

I hope that I am wrong, but I just do not see it being a huge tourist draw -- at least not of the type that would justify the amount of public money that is going into it.

What is I believe will set this store apart from others is the location on the waterfront of one of the greatest freshwater fishing lakes in the world. This will bring a lot of attention to the hidden treasures Lake Erie has to offer. Where else can you go and catch and release world class small mouth bass and fill your cooler with tasty walleyes and perch all in the same day.

What is I believe will set this store apart from others is the location on the waterfront of one of the greatest freshwater fishing lakes in the world. This will bring a lot of attention to the hidden treasures Lake Erie has to offer. Where else can you go and catch and release world class small mouth bass and fill your cooler with tasty walleyes and perch all in the same day.

Don't forget risking Hodgkins disease by dining on your "world class" catch.

Don't worry Buffalo, at the pace the "government" is getting deals done, the waterfront will be teeming with new business by 2780.

Don't forget risking Hodgkins disease by dining on your "world class" catch.

Yeah, yeah, and the whitetail deer I shoot carry the risk of Chronic Wasting Disease and Lyme disease. I hear crispy bacon causes cancer. Better be careful the next time you dine on beef, you might contract Mad Cow Disease. Chicken, forget it, you might get Campylobacter. What’s that vegetables? Better be careful of the cancer causing pesticides there sprayed with – You might also want to avoid breathing air since that too is known to cause cancer. I also hear wiping your ass with Charmin will chafe your ass if not used in accordance with labeling directions which could lead to herpes.

Even if they build it, after all the hype, this thing is going to be a huge let down.

"Yay, the 65th Bass Pro in the nation, right behind Fargo, North Dakota"

I really don't see the impact of a fishing store on a community being anything more than superficial.

Maybe it's just me, I go to he one here,in Dania,Not Fort Lauderdale and I think it's a great spot. What with all the hunting and fishing in the wny area it's a natural.

It provides the anchor tenant for the proposed harbor development. Development spurs more development. This is significant because as opposed to the renderings and visions from before, this has binding paperwork attached to it.

It provides the anchor tenant for the proposed harbor development. Development spurs more development. This is significant because as opposed to the renderings and visions from before, this has binding paperwork attached to it.

Lawyers, start your engines:

"Tielman predicted the battle to retain the historic site as a public plaza with small-scale development will be fought beyond the preservation community."

Lawyers, start your engines:

"Tielman predicted the battle to retain the historic site as a public plaza with small-scale development will be fought beyond the preservation community."

This guy is an obstructionist, not a preservationist. How much F***ing green space do we need? What a joke he is. I have a good use for some of the waterfront money. Ask this numnuts, how much it would cost to make him go away FOREVER! :lol:

I really don't see the impact of a fishing store on a community being anything more than superficial.

You do realize that this is a 100,000 sq ft building where you can find EVERYTHING imaginable for fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, boating, waterskiing, sailing, rock climbing, canyoneering, and just about anything else you can do outdoors. I completely understand the point you're making, but let's not pretend that this is Bob's Bait & Tackle that is going to anchor the development plan.

Is this superficial?-

The Bass Pro store will serve as anchor tenant for Canal Side, which is billed as a $275 million mixed-use development that will fill the Erie Canal Harbor neighborhood with a mix of shops, restaurants, entertainment venues, museums, a hotel, and residential and office space. Planners are predicting the reborn haborfront will attract 5 million visitors a year.

The agreement also provides the City of Buffalo $10 million in state money to demolish the idle Aud, with promises of additional funding to meet costs in excess of that allotment.

Under terms of the agreement, the harbor development corporation will invest $25 million in public funds to prepare the riverfront site and construct the shell of a three-story retail building, designed to resemble the original Central Wharf terminal that stood on the property in the mid-1800s.

Bass Pro Shops will spend approximately $15 million to build out the interior of the store and also will pay $300,000 a year in fees to support Canal Side.

Over the course of the proposed 20-year lease, those fees would total $6 million. And if Bass Pro exercises all lease renewals, that sum would climb to $15 million over 50 years.

The store, which will employ about 1,000 full- and part-time staffers, is expected to generate $3 million annually in sales tax. The agreement also calls on the harbor development corporation to construct a 20,000- square-foot Erie Canal Museum and a 30,000-square-foot public market.

I'm not sure what bustling metropolis you live in Ink, but in Buffalo, ANY development plan is welcome- superficial or not. (Obviously, as we all know, development plans and actual groundbreaking are miles apart in Erie County...But hopefully this is moving in the right direction.)

It's a huge chicken or the egg type of argument. In order to have a bustling downtown corridor, you need people. In order to get people, you need critical mass. In order to obtain critical mass, you need to create an environment that can support it. There is a burgeoning trend towards redeveloping old infrastructure into residential downtown housing. You need to give people a reason to go downtown for their needs or wants, and you need them to spend money downtown for it to grow. This is a big deal.