Bills taking a pounding on Sirius NFL Radio

Vic Carucci was just on defending the Bills moves to them.

Vic sez:

1) Spikes hasn't looked the same to him, doesn't have the "explosion" of speed needed to play in our defense.

2) Fletcher still pretty good and fairly quick but beginning to look like that type of player "in an older guys body". Seemed to concern the Bills going forward.

3) Losing McGahee is addition by subtraction. A-Train will provide a good foundation to go with an RB in the draft and/or another free agent

4) Losing Clements will hurt and no real way to equally replace him.

5) Likes Crowell at middle linebacker and thinks he can handle it. Ellison was a pleasant surprise and only got better as the year went on. A great sign.

Pat Kirwan sez:

1) The loss of all this talent is going to put a lot of pressure on Losman (Note: Unless he means the offense might have to cover for the defense I'm not so sure I agree.)

Plus this morning they (Tim & Pat) were GA-GA over the trade to Philly. They said the BIGGEST part of the deal--throw everything else out---was Holcomb going to Philly. Huge coup for Philly (Note to them: We thought he would be GREAT for us---turned out to be pretty marginal at best)

That's all I can remember.................

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLCOMB? wow...that's like trading for a case of champagne and a twinkie...and going ga-ga over the twinkie.

...and finding out the champagne has turned to vinegar. Sorry but unless someone has a crystal ball that shows me Spikes regaining his pre-injury form, I'll have to conclude that he won't, based on the overwhelming evidence with players who were YOUNGER when it happened to them.

HOLCOMB? wow...that's like trading for a case of champagne and a twinkie...and going ga-ga over the twinkie.

I don't recall where I read it, but I think there's a lot of truth to the fact that Holcomb would be better suited in Philly than with Buffalo based on the different types of offenses the teams run. Kinda like how Garcia had success there with the West Coast O, Holcomb could have similar success should McNabb go down again.

Kirwan just refuses to stop beating the Losman vs. Holcomb dead horse. He went out on a limb and predicted Losman would stink and Holcomb was the answer. How long before he starts calling for McNabb to sit in favor of Pop-Gun-Kelly?

I don't recall where I read it, but I think there's a lot of truth to the fact that Holcomb would be better suited in Philly than with Buffalo based on the different types of offenses the teams run. Kinda like how Garcia had success there with the West Coast O, Holcomb could have similar success should McNabb go down again.

More like WHEN McNabb goes down again.

You know...I've been waiting to hear that Spikes passed their physical.

Holcomb was nothing special...A good backup but nothing else. If Nall was good enough to backup Far'vra I have no issues with him. We saved some serious coin as well and I look for them to sign another FA soon.....I love the trade personally.

Kirwan just refuses to stop beating the Losman vs. Holcomb dead horse. He went out on a limb and predicted Losman would stink and Holcomb was the answer. How long before he starts calling for McNabb to sit in favor of Pop-Gun-Kelly?

Your kidding me? Did these guys watch JP last year?

They really think that there was still a QB controversy going on at the end of the season?

Wow.

Plus this morning they (Tim & Pat) were GA-GA over the trade to Philly. They said the BIGGEST part of the deal--throw everything else out---was Holcomb going to Philly. Huge coup for Philly (Note to them: We thought he would be GREAT for us---turned out to be pretty marginal at best)

Well if there was any doubt that these 'analysts' aren't professional enough to get their heads out of their own biases, this oughta do it. This is just more lazy journalism. When the Bills signed Holcomb nobody out there used the word coup. ESPN and the rest of them all yawned. Now it's years later and Holcomb got beaten out by a guy 10 years younger (ish) and NOW it's a coup?

Ridiculous. And these guys get paid.

I've been listening all day and heard both of the segments refered to here. This was certainly NOT a bash job. I saw it as the radio guys just playing devils advocate to Carucci's take on the Bills. No where have they mocked JP or the Bills like they were doing last season.

Plus, Kirwin's actually right (amazingly so), that the offense will have to pull a lot more weight this season. That DOES mean more pressure on JP.

Kirwin was flat out wrong regarding Holcomb starting last year. But what I also heard today that they were amazed at how many of the veteran players took them aside and tell them off the record how badly they wanted Holcomb to start instead of JP. Thankfully it's become JP's team and the disgruntled veterans have been jetisoned out of Buffalo.

They really think that there was still a QB controversy going on at the end of the season?

Wow.

No, I was referring to what Kirwan predicted prior to the 2006 season. Sorry -- I see how my post could be interpreted the other way, though.

I am sorry to see TKO go, and I had hoped he would have a great 2007 as a Bill. That said, until he proves he can regain his form I see a questionable TKO for Walker as not that unfair of a trade. So you throw in the salary dump and trading Holcomb for a draft pick, and I think this is a positive deal.

However we really have our backs against the wall to get a opening day ready linebacker in the draft. And if Spikes does return to 100% (a big if, but one I'm rooting for even while he is wearing green) we will probably feel a little silly.

I don't mind the media blasting us...I want us to earn our respect on the field this fall. I would actually rather be the surprise that catches everyone off guard than the media's dark horse inside pick.

...and finding out the champagne has turned to vinegar. Sorry but unless someone has a crystal ball that shows me Spikes regaining his pre-injury form, I'll have to conclude that he won't, based on the overwhelming evidence with players who were YOUNGER when it happened to them.

All you can do is hope the guy returns to form. I think it'll be tough for anyone, even a well conditioned athlete like Takeo, to make a full recovery from such an injury. Ask Ed Hartwell and Sam Cowart how easy it is.

Vic Carucci was just on defending the Bills moves to them.

Vic sez:

1) Spikes hasn't looked the same to him, doesn't have the "explosion" of speed needed to play in our defense.

2) Fletcher still pretty good and fairly quick but beginning to look like that type of player "in an older guys body". Seemed to concern the Bills going forward.

3) Losing McGahee is addition by subtraction. A-Train will provide a good foundation to go with an RB in the draft and/or another free agent

4) Losing Clements will hurt and no real way to equally replace him.

5) Likes Crowell at middle linebacker and thinks he can handle it. Ellison was a pleasant surprise and only got better as the year went on. A great sign.

Pat Kirwan sez:

1) The loss of all this talent is going to put a lot of pressure on Losman (Note: Unless he means the offense might have to cover for the defense I'm not so sure I agree.)

That's all I can remember.................

You forgot to inject a whole lot of "Tim Ryan sez:" in between just about every quote from either Carucci or Kirwan.

Holcomb fixes a short term problem for them. McNabb might not be ready to start the year and they only had AJ Feeley on the depth chart to start. Now it alleviates some of the pressure on that position early in the year. Holcomb will be a nice fit for their offense like Garcia because (as we all know) he'll throw to the backs a ton.

The problem with the analysis is that it misses some symbolism and the benefit for Buffalo.

A. The team is now "officially" JP Losman's team.

B. We don't spend over 1.5 million on a #2 QB in each of the next two years along witht he money we're givng Nall to do the same thing.

If they're going to hammer Buffalo for trading their old, noodle armed, backup QB for a conditional draft choice there isn't anything they WON'T hammer them for so let it go.

I agree with Carucci, Clements is a loss but he's not worth 80 million. Fletcher IS getting older and he won't see the end of this contract. Spikes hasn't been the same since he was hurt. Why prolong the inevitable by one more year? Remold the defnese the way you want it to be when you have the chance to do it w/o penalty.

I like it better when they rip us, I always get squeamish when we are spoken well of this far in advance. Let us not forget the lambasting that Marv took for last year's draft class which is now lauded by the same numbskulls who killed it last year.

We started two rookies at safety last year, why not a rookie or two at LB this year? As others have said I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Coy Wire at OLB this year. 6'0" 220 lbs makes him bigger than Dexter Coakley. He's not much smaller than Ellison. Look at Tampa's OLB's for size comparisons, that's what we'll be fielding so I wouldn't expect to see a 260 lb guy out there unless he's an athletic freak of nature a la Urlacher.

One thing a defense with Crowell, Wire, and Ellison at LB would be is fast and we never doubted Wire's tackling it was always his coverage in space, being an OLB cuts that responsibility down significantly. The current staff is obvously building a fast defense and that almost alway equals smaller, there are exceptions and I'd like to see Willis in the middle. He might have skills similar to Cornelius Bennett but the desire to play inside that Biscuit lacked until he was older. CB would have been a killer MLB.

Wow.

The problem with getting bent out of shape over what these numnust say, is not realizing that they don't watch the Bills, and know nothing about their players. Losman was awful in his limited starts in 2005, and started out rough in 2006. The "experts" (myself included I confess) were sure he was a bust, and that is their assesment of Losman, for the forseeable future, until the Bills start winning more games, and Losman starts putting up 300 yards games on a semi-regular basis. The fact that he looked like a much better, quality QB from the Houston game on, will be lost on most of them. They don't know what the Bills are doing. They have no clue.