From Pro Football Weekly - Spikes Trade

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A...brook032707.htm

The news that the Bills have traded OLB Takeo Spikes to the Eagles in a package deal with backup QB Kelly Holcomb for DT Darwin Walker and a conditional 2008 draft choice (believed to be a seventh-rounder) is not a surprise, considering the team's coolness this offseason whenever asked about Spikes’ status.

I suspect the Bills just couldn’t shake the memory of how former Pro Bowl LB Sam Cowart was never the same for them after suffering the same kind of Achilles injury that Spikes suffered.

And I’m sure that they were closely monitoring Spikes’ performance last season, looking for clues that he had lost a step or some of the explosiveness and suddenness that made him one of the top outside linebackers in the league.

Talking with scouts recently as we work on PFW's annual preview magazine, there is a feeling that Spikes is no longer as fast as he was prior to the injury he suffered early in the 2005 season and that cost him the last 13 games of the season. That Spikes is 30 years old and has eight-plus seasons of wear and tear on his body makes it understandable why the Bills have been thinking about other options.

Add in the fact that he is scheduled to make $4.6 million this season and the Bills have announced their intention not to spend more than the NFL’s $112 million salary cap for 2007, and it’s clear that Spikes no longer was in the team's plans.

However, while I understand the move from a financial standpoint and realize that the chances of Spikes ever returning to his Pro Bowl level are remote, I can’t help but wonder if the Bills aren’t pushing things a bit too much.

Yes, they had an exceptional 2006 draft that produced four defensive starters, and could net two more (DT John McCargo, CB Ashton Youboty) before all is said and done. And while the draft is the best way to build a team, it’s unrealistic to believe that they’ll be able to grab a similar collection of starting-caliber players in the upcoming draft.

Second-year LB Keith Ellison, who fits well in the Bills’ Tampa-2 defensive scheme, was a pleasant surprise last season. He contributed as a starter both when Spikes was saddled with a hamstring injury early in the season and when Angelo Crowell was knocked out by a broken leg late in the season.

While Ellison is a willing hitter and has good speed and coverage skills, he is very undersized at 6-0, 228 pounds, which raises a concern whether he can hold up over a full season.

Also, I wonder if the Bills accurately factored in the effect of Spikes’ hamstring injury last season. I mean, he made a big play on the first play from scrimmage in the season opener at New England when he strip-sacked Tom Brady and forced a fumble that was returned for an easy touchdown by London Fletcher-Baker, before Spikes got hurt and missed the rest of the Bills’ loss to the Patriots and the next four games.

Granted, that sack was Spikes’ only sack of the season. And he registered zero interceptions and only one forced fumble. But he started to come around late in the year when his hamstring finally healed, and he was a standout in the Bills’ season-closing loss at Baltimore, making 13 tackles, 11 of which were solo. It was those last couple of games, in fact, that reportedly sold the Eagles on trading for Spikes.

The Bills will miss Spikes’ value beyond the field.

He has always been admired and respected for his hard work, especially off the field with his desire to be in the best possible shape at all times. He is a weight-room warrior, a leader, a student of the game, and he sets a great example for younger players.

Yes, he was reportedly unhappy that the team let his buddy Fletcher-Baker and CB Nate Clements go. And he wanted a contract extension despite having two years remaining on the six-year deal he originally signed with the team. But he didn't go to the media to express his displeasure, and it didn't prevent him from speaking highly of the franchise or from being willing to do whatever it took to make the team better.

If you’re a Bills fan who liked Spikes and was at Ralph Wilson Stadium back in December 2002 when the Bills whipped Spikes’ Bengals and the Buffalo fans chanted, “We want Takeo,” and made it known that he was going to be a fan favorite, you must have been rooting for the Bills to ship Spikes to a championship-caliber team, since they were determined to trade him.

The man has never played in the postseason, and it would be a shame if he ended his career going from non-playoff team to non-playoff team before calling it quits.

Philadelphia should be a great landing spot, since the Eagles have the pieces in place to make a run to the NFC title. If he can become the Pro Bowl player he once was, it might put the Eagles over the top, because he would be the best player in the LB corps, hands down.

Spikes is the fourth veteran starter to be let go by Buffalo this offseason, opening up yet another hole to fill by a team that was surprisingly competitive last season and actually challenged for a playoff berth briefly in mid-December.

The addition of Walker at a need position (defensive tackle) is a positive one. He is experienced and should be a great fit in the Bills’ defense as a run stuffer who can get up the field and apply pressure. He had six sacks last season and will help keep Larry Tripplett and John McCargo rested and make them more effective.

While Spikes, Fletcher-Baker, Clements and RB Willis McGahee weren’t elite players, they were the best at their positions on the Bills’ roster. Most troublingly, there are no real replacements on the roster.

Fletcher-Baker’s departure early in free agency already means that the Bills had a LB vacancy. Now, if Spikes goes, Buffalo will need to find either a middle linebacker, which would allow Angelo Crowell to stay outside, or move Crowell inside and find an outside ’backer to team with Ellison.

Clements, whom the team had no intention of paying the kind of money he ultimately got from the 49ers, was clearly the Bills’ top cover corner. Terrence McGee is back but coming off a down season, and he’s undersized for a No. 1 corner. Youboty enters his second season almost like a rookie after failing to see the field in more than three games last season.

Finally, McGahee’s loss hurts because the only running backs left on the Bills’ roster are Anthony Thomas and Shaud Williams — neither of whom is a dynamic player who will help improve the offense.

Without the team coming out and saying it, there’s no disputing the fact that the Bills are fully in rebuilding mode — as the Spikes deal has once again proven.

Pretty detailed, knowledgeable, and honest assessment.

I disagree though that we can't replicate our success in the draft.

I also think the author discounts our huge offensive-line signings. Our offense will be playoff-caliber this year.

The only issue is whether we can draft replacemebts for Spikes, Fletcher, and Clements to make our defense competitive.

Its an okay assessment. But I still think it misses the point.

We came into the offseason with 2 main priorities...

1) Improve the O-Line-specifically needed to upgrade every position but LT --not being able to upgrade all 4 positions (no team could have 5 studs) -- we decided to focus on two of the weakest..

LG-we want to build a strong left side to give us a go to side to run

RT-we want to be able to use the TE more in the passing game

We did both and it will make Fowler a better center -- he will have help on almost every play and now our weak spot is RG--which there are several development candidates.

An upgraded OL takes pressure off the Defense -- more first downs, time of possession, better completion percentage, less drive killing negative plays, etc.

2) Get better at run D. This is still a work in progress--but Marv and Coach Jauron both said the LB's did not attack enough. We kept the two LB's that arguably attacked the best (Crowell and Ellison) and now must find two more in the draft or what's left of Free Agency. While I wish it was us talking to Briggs instead of the Skins -- I think we will be okay here--

We also needed to upgrade the D-Line--Walker does this--he partners with Tripplett at the 3 and allows Williams and McCargo to focus on the Nose--Tim Anderson has to either improve or get cut..and I still think we add a big development body in the draft

We drafted a replacement for Clements last year -- but still need a player from the draft who can get on the field this year at the CB position--there are about 10 serviceable corners in the draft--I like our chances of getting one or even two of them.

We got rid of players that for one reason or another did not fit the system, either because of their expense relative to their criticality in the scheme (Clements); attitude and work ethic (McGahee) or skill (Holcomb, Spikes and Fletcher)...we brought in guys (Dockery, L. Walker, D. Walker, Whittle) who fit the plan.

We are a contributing RB, a SAM and Mike LB, A contributing Corner away from filling these holes..and having some play in the draft--we don't need 6 defensive starters from this draft--we need one or two...

I have written before--my biggest concern is Fletcher's leadership..Spikes flashed great play in Baltimore--but he was still pulled on most third downs--and we still lost the freaking game because our O-line (particularly the interior OL) got the sh-- kicked out of it....Marv and Coach learned the lesson well.

I don't like the top sub-heading: "Small Market Casualty".

That is BS!

Every team in every market has casualties. If you want to call them that...teams get rid of or let go of players they don't want anymore. If he hadn't been injured and was still 100%, there would be no, "casualty".

I disagree that Ellison is too small to holdup. How big are strong safeties, the guys who are constantly in on tackles? How big was Antoine Winfield, a guy who was close to leading the team in tackles?

This was probably the most honest (i.e., non-bashing of the Bills mgmt) assessment I've seen in a while.

I'd also hesitate to say they're in "rebuilding mode", since the offense is now expected to perform. The defense is where my concerns are right now, unless it's addressed in the draft. Even so, it would still be a young defense that's learning on the job.

Was there another DT on the Eagles last year that they were trying to trade. Was it Walker? Whoever the guy was, it was a DT on the Eagles who had an injured ankle. Was Walker on the trade blocks before this trade? It just makes me wonder why they wanted to get rid of the guy.

This was probably the most honest (i.e., non-bashing of the Bills mgmt) assessment I've seen in a while.

I'd also hesitate to say they're in "rebuilding mode", since the offense is now expected to perform. The defense is where my concerns are right now, unless it's addressed in the draft. Even so, it would still be a young defense that's learning on the job.

I think since all of the moves definitely help 2008, and we might break even in 2007 (if we have a solid draft), this is the definition of rebuilding. We will emerge in 2008 with a ton of young signed players, extra draft picks, and cap room to extend one or more of our stars.

I think explaining the Spikes cut as a cost-savings move (without saying his skill is no longer worth the money) was a good way of talking up his value and "selling" him. Attributing this to the small market team not being able to afford him is fine with me.

Was there another DT on the Eagles last year that they were trying to trade. Was it Walker? Whoever the guy was, it was a DT on the Eagles who had an injured ankle. Was Walker on the trade blocks before this trade? It just makes me wonder why they wanted to get rid of the guy.

Corey Simon. Super bowl winning DT. ;)

I wouldn't use the term "rebuilding" either.

More like "developing".

because he's 30 years old, he tended to wear down

they have 2 #1 picks they want to play at DT

he is more of a penetrator while they want an anchor type as their 3rd DT.

So...

We can't have two good drafts in a row...because we can't?

And we are in a rebuilding mode?

We went 7-9 and were in the hunt for the playoffs right until week 16. What mode were we in last year?

I suppose when we make the playoffs, we'll be "lucky".

PTR

Corey Simon. Super bowl winning DT. ;)

It was Hollis Thomas that you were thinking of. The Eagles dealt him to NO last year. I forget where he signed this off-season. He might have re-upped with them.

I'm honestly a little confused about the Eagles letting Walker go. They are killing their DTs here for lack of run stoutness but gave up one of their "better" players. Maybe it is a scheme thing where he'll fit better here but something tells me not to get too excited.

The thing I agree with him on is that the bills are in a "fully rebuilding mode". This is important since we might have kept Fletcher, McGahee, Spikes and maybe spent a fortune to keep Clements to get to the playoffs this year. ML and DJ made the decision to go for a solid improvment and overhaul. It will probably be a year or two before we are contenders, but the idea of building a team for the future is valid.

Its an okay assessment. But I still think it misses the point.

We came into the offseason with 2 main priorities...

1) Improve the O-Line-specifically needed to upgrade every position but LT --not being able to upgrade all 4 positions (no team could have 5 studs) -- we decided to focus on two of the weakest..

LG-we want to build a strong left side to give us a go to side to run

RT-we want to be able to use the TE more in the passing game

We did both and it will make Fowler a better center -- he will have help on almost every play and now our weak spot is RG--which there are several development candidates.

An upgraded OL takes pressure off the Defense -- more first downs, time of possession, better completion percentage, less drive killing negative plays, etc.

2) Get better at run D. This is still a work in progress--but Marv and Coach Jauron both said the LB's did not attack enough. We kept the two LB's that arguably attacked the best (Crowell and Ellison) and now must find two more in the draft or what's left of Free Agency. While I wish it was us talking to Briggs instead of the Skins -- I think we will be okay here--

We also needed to upgrade the D-Line--Walker does this--he partners with Tripplett at the 3 and allows Williams and McCargo to focus on the Nose--Tim Anderson has to either improve or get cut..and I still think we add a big development body in the draft

We drafted a replacement for Clements last year -- but still need a player from the draft who can get on the field this year at the CB position--there are about 10 serviceable corners in the draft--I like our chances of getting one or even two of them.

We got rid of players that for one reason or another did not fit the system, either because of their expense relative to their criticality in the scheme (Clements); attitude and work ethic (McGahee) or skill (Holcomb, Spikes and Fletcher)...we brought in guys (Dockery, L. Walker, D. Walker, Whittle) who fit the plan.

We are a contributing RB, a SAM and Mike LB, A contributing Corner away from filling these holes..and having some play in the draft--we don't need 6 defensive starters from this draft--we need one or two...

I have written before--my biggest concern is Fletcher's leadership..Spikes flashed great play in Baltimore--but he was still pulled on most third downs--and we still lost the freaking game because our O-line (particularly the interior OL) got the sh-- kicked out of it....Marv and Coach learned the lesson well.

Here's another point: Marv is cleaning out Donahoe's big money moves (some mistakes) and rebuilding and redefining the team to fit his own style.

I am personally concerned that the run defense is still inadequate. The defense is really undersized.

it's a fair article, up to the mcgahee part. knowing with certainty now what was not uflly realized before the trade:

a. the guy didn't want to play in Buffalo.

b. he played at something less than 100%, by his own admission.

c. he wasn't interested in a leadership role.

of the issues listed above, (b) tells me all i need to know about the guy. he doesn't need to love the city, that's not a requirement. guys show leadership in different ways, or not at all, run hard for 1,500 yards and you'll get some pub in the locker room. but, play at a level less than you are capable of becuase you don't like applebees, i'm cool with you finding another team to play at 80% on.