ESPN reports

We are purging the rosters to fit the schemes of our current regime ala st louis style offense, and tampa cover two Defense.

Exactly...

on D--

Young and fast safeties who have both the ability to run with WR's deep and come up and support the run

Speed and gap shooting ability over size at LB

Aggressive bump corners (Still a little lacking here)--not necessarily a lock down..

Quick penetrating DT's with one NT run stopper (Still lacking here)

On O--

4 or 5 deep at WR with speed and precision route running the priority..

Versitale RB (need to draft a runner who can also catch)

Not necessarily a FB

Versitale TE (If Kevin Everett is ever going to be a serviceable pro -- this scheme is built for him)

The absolute key on D this year is the continued development of Whitner and Simpson-with a marked improvement the loss of Clements is partially mitigated. The other key is a stout NT stepping up...

Special Teams--keep being the strongest part of the team...Moorman is a game changing punter...he can change field position to our advantage from anywhere..

The key on O is JP's continued development --remember Fairchild had a hand in making a talented but unsung Marc Bulger an upper tier NFL starter...finding another RB who can contribute to a RB by committee..a talented offensive line to gel quickly allowing the TE's to get more into the offense as playmakers..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the impression that Spikes is not happy with the new team management from some of his conversations last year with the press. There seemed to be underling dissatisfaction when he spoke. The most obvious was when he went into a rant about putting Troy Vincent on IR at the start of last year when as customary, Troy, gets hurt at the very start of the regular season.

Spikes was saying something about it being uncalled for, and that by that standard that the team should have himself on IR, or some such thing. The bottom line is that I never got the impression that he has fully bought in to the new management and team.

Marv and Dick are certainly leaving their mark on this team. They have gotten rid (or are about to get rid) of a lot of players from the prior regime. It will be interesting to see where we are at after the draft, in camp, and during the coming season.

Well, that's what most any new GM & coach do. The current guys don't always fit in w/ their plans or their cap needs. Wherever he goes, I think 99% of the organization and fans wish TKO luck, excepting vs. us.

I'm very curious to see what draft pick they snag out of this.

Curb your expectations. No way is it a 3rd. More likely a 5th, similar to the Moulds trade; the circumstances are a close match.

As much I enjoy watching Spikes on the field, there might be something to the fact that Cincy got good as soon as he left. Yeah, it's probably due to a better coach and a whole lot of better players, but perhaps it's not just a coincidence that the Bills, who appeared to be on the upswing when he arrived, bottomed out at the same Cincy started going to the playoffs.

o rly?

Cincys record since spikes left. 35- 29. 1 trip to the playoffs 3 8-8 seasons. I guess it's easy to get better after playoff futility since 1990 and having carson palmer falling into your lap, but the bengals are by no means afc elite.

Personaly I'm iffy on this offseason. No Rb questions at lb, corner, dt. No playmakers on offense outside of evans. If they don't think Spikes can regain form then by all means get value. I just hope whoever we get to replace him can play with the same passion and fiery attitude he did his first 2 years with the bills.

LOL just my opinion. Genos, Pats, Jims, and Mike Schmidts. Brass Rail in Allentown is the best I have ever had. Wiz wit

OK boys, here goes nothing:

While NOT a Philly cheese steak (and it doesn't pretend to be), the best steak and cheese sandwich I've ever had (by a MILE or two) is:

VIOLA'S in Niagara Falls. Don't knock it til you've tried it. The original location (Elmwood ave) is the best, but the Military road shop does a good job, too. Hint: ALWAYS get double steak/double cheese.

Trust me.

Curb your expectations. No way is it a 3rd. More likely a 5th, similar to the Moulds trade; the circumstances are a close match.

LOL, no, don't think we'll get a 3rd. A 5th sounds about right. I'm just curious to see whether we can wheedle a slightly more advantageous trade than one might expect by being creative, as I think we did with McGahee.

LOL, no, don't think we'll get a 3rd. A 5th sounds about right. I'm just curious to see whether we can wheedle a slightly more advantageous trade than one might expect by being creative, as I think we did with McGahee.

Agreed. Actually, I'd like to see a player, who Marv and his Dick like, included in the deal. Even one who ends up being just bench strength or a special teams contributer.

This is from ESPN insider rumour central...

Eagles eyeing Spikes

<Mar. 26> The Eagles have jumped to the front of the Spikes sweepstakes and something could happen quickly, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Bills have quietly shopped Spikes him for the past few weeks with the Eagles and Giants showing the most interest.

Spikes is hoping to hear sometime Monday that a deal could be done. The plan would be for Spikes to play outside linebacker for the Eagles. The former Bengal was also willing to go back to Cincinnati but the Bengals weren't interested in his $4.5 million salary.

Coming off an Achilles tendon injury, Spikes played in 12 games last season. He finished with 70

While NOT a Philly cheese steak (and it doesn't pretend to be), the best steak and cheese sandwich I've ever had (by a MILE or two) is:

VIOLA'S in Niagara Falls. Don't knock it til you've tried it. The original location (Elmwood ave) is the best, but the Military road shop does a good job, too. Hint: ALWAYS get double steak/double cheese.

Trust me.

Best I have ever had are ones I make myself. Cut up steak in small pieces, pan fry on medium for a couple min. Put mayo on top & bottom of open roll. Put steak on roll followed by provalone cheese, mushrooms, peppers, onions. Wrap in aluminum foil & put in 350 degree oven for about 5 min. Everyone I have made them for love them. ;)

Not being a smart ass or anything, but how were the Bills "creative" in trading Willis? It seems to me they just got the best thing they could, for a player they didn't want any longer. They traded him to a team that valued him pretty highly.

Trust me.

Amen brother.... I grew up around the corner from Viola's Elmwood... the smell alone sets the mouth a-waterin'..... mmmmmm

Not being a smart ass or anything, but how were the Bills "creative" in trading Willis? It seems to me they just got the best thing they could, for a player they didn't want any longer. They traded him to a team that valued him pretty highly.

You're not supposed to read my posts! ;)

:D

i guess i just mean getting three picks for him, instead of just a 2nd, for example. it seems like they went against the standard trade grain and maneuvered for more picks instead of one, but this is obviously just pure speculation and a hunch on my part.

The longer you hear of no deal done, the better. This means that the Giants and the Eagles (and whoever--Frisco, Dallas, Baltimore and New Orleans OUGHT to be looking...) are in a discussion for TKO's services. This can end up being a 4th, or a 5th this year with incentives for next year.

Giants have the earlier picks, so I root for them.

BTW, a 5th on Draft Tek would be somebody like:

Darius Walker, Brandon Jackson, Kolby Smith, RB

Tim Duckworth, OG

Mike Walker Cent Florida WR

Joe Newton, TE

Corey Hilliard OT

Mason Crosby P/K

The longer you hear of no deal done, the better. This means that the Giants and the Eagles (and whoever--Frisco, Dallas, Baltimore and New Orleans OUGHT to be looking...) are in a discussion for TKO's services. This can end up being a 4th, or a 5th this year with incentives for next year.

Giants have the earlier picks, so I root for them.

BTW, a 5th on Draft Tek would be somebody like:

Darius Walker, Brandon Jackson, Kolby Smith, RB

Tim Duckworth, OG

Mike Walker Cent Florida WR

Joe Newton, TE

Corey Hilliard OT

Mason Crosby P/K

I'd love to secure Jackson that late but really think he could end up a late day 1 early day 2 draft pick.

You're not supposed to read my posts! ;)

:D

i guess i just mean getting three picks for him, instead of just a 2nd, for example. it seems like they went against the standard trade grain and maneuvered for more picks instead of one, but this is obviously just pure speculation and a hunch on my part.

I have to agree with you there. The more rolls you get, the more likely you are to get the coveted '3.5' You get a better chance that you're going to find a guy like Colston or Brady in a late round when you have more shots.

I wish this trade were over and done with so we could all just move on to planning for our 7-9 season. Although I HOPE I'm wrong.

for a deal that was proclaimed DONE earlier in the weekend, it does seem like it's taking a long time. As another poster said: the longer the better, really. I hope we are asking for way too much. You don't get what you don't ask for and the worst that could happen is, we keep TKO.