Do we need to draft a Tight End?

Midway through round three in 2005 TD drafts Kevin Everett. He has one reception in a Bills uniform. Do the Bills need to draft another TE or are they satisfied with Royal who they signed as free agent last year. I dont remember how much his salary is but if I recall he signed a nice deal. I just have to think that a nice receiving TE that is always there for JP to dump the ball off to if his 1st and 2nd read are covered would be a huge advantage to the offense.

Midway through round three in 2005 TD drafts Kevin Everett. He has one reception in a Bills uniform. Do the Bills need to draft another TE or are they satisfied with Royal who they signed as free agent last year. I dont remember how much his salary is but if I recall he signed a nice deal. I just have to think that a nice receiving TE that is always there for JP to dump the ball off to if his 1st and 2nd read are covered would be a huge advantage to the offense.

No

I wouldn't sqawk if we drafted another. But a 2nd day choice only please. Everett has done nothing, and doesn't look like he'll improve. Royal has been a pleasant surprise in that he's been average. Even looking pretty good at times. Which has been FAR better than what we've had in a while.

I've heard a number of people talking good about Ceislak, but only Royal has looked worthy.

I noticed that there is anothet post on us drafting a FB. What might be more useful is to draft someone who could be an HB. This way we could use one pick for a dual role. I don't think that either position is as important as our other needs. Remember, we got Jason Peters as a undrafted free agent, we need to make another find like him.

I noticed that there is anothet post on us drafting a FB. What might be more useful is to draft someone who could be an HB. This way we could use one pick for a dual role. I don't think that either position is as important as our other needs. Remember, we got Jason Peters as a undrafted free agent, we need to make another find like him.
If we draft a FB its gotta be in either the 3rd round or 5th

Only if the powers-that-be think that they want to run a TE-included offense. There are a small number of clubs...NYG, KC, ATL etc. that do so...mostly because the TE they have is one of the most talented receivers on their team, and they have a good blocking OL or an agile QB.

JP had a nice 1/2 year, often looking to 1 receiver who got something like 20% of his season's yardage from 3 or 4 big bombs.

Not sure if JP has yet got the smart eyes to check off to receiver #3...

A lot of this depends on what type of offense we are going to run. Fairchild did not do an outstanding job of running a productive O last year which I think happened for a range of reasons:

1. Most important we really scaled back the O scheme to not take extraordinary risks because we did not think JP could handle it.

2, There was poor play from a number of different positions with WM being the favorite whipping boy, but Shelton was probably the best argument we had for going with a one back set, The TEs shared in not being very productive and though Royal was acquired primarily die to his blocking skill the run game was not productive (though general OL problems are probably more the reason why) and in addition, their were glaring plays like the one where Royal completely failed to even try to drag his foot on one play where his hands made a nice catch but he was out of bounds/

Overall, Cieslak may be an answer to these player problems as he filled in nicely as a FB in a reserve role. I could see us getting another TE in with the idea that he will compete with Everett who likely stays due to contract and potential unless someone takes the job away.

A second day pick or a low cost FA might be the ticket.

I wouldn't sqawk if we drafted another. But a 2nd day choice only please. Everett has done nothing, and doesn't look like he'll improve. Royal has been a pleasant surprise in that he's been average. Even looking pretty good at times. Which has been FAR better than what we've had in a while.

I've heard a number of people talking good about Ceislak, but only Royal has looked worthy.

If there was one, "can't miss" pass catching tight end draft pick out there in the first or second round, I would say okay...if not, why bother? We have Royal who is serviceable, as well as Cieslak who is a project with upside. And then, there is Everett. I would still like to see what/if this kid can do anything. For the amount the Bills use a tight end in their offense, we are likely fine with what we have. Pretty sad that the best tight end the Bills have braught in since Metzelaars, is playing left tackle!

I think Joe Newton from Oregon State wouldn't be bad for a late round addition. In my incredibly humble opinion he is much better than most of the guys on the of the roster currently. I can't see using a high pick on one unless the kid from Arizona State (Miller) is staring at us in the third round... unlikely. I think you would have to take him since he is an above average blocker AND receiver. If not, hopefully a free agent pick-up or late rounder can come in and compete 'cuz an upgrade is in order.

He cost us a game by not knowing where the out of bounds line was. That was the worst play of the season. He was a real disappointment.

He cost us a game by not knowing where the out of bounds line was. That was the worst play of the season. He was a real disappointment.

Well, the managment and coaching staff is happy with him and have said they are going to use him alot more now that he won't have to be in just to block, So you may have to "Get Over" him costing us a game against the Titans

I would love to get Patrick late...I'm a big fan of the TE, and a good recieving TE for Losman would be a great safety blanket and would only help his progression.

I'm not completely sold on Royal yet so...yeah I'd take a shot if we could get someone good in the later rounds.