For the old timers

Steve O

Never got to see the "Big Cat" play football, but I did see him wrestle in the Aud in the mid-70s.

As I recall Bruno Sammartino was supposed to be on the main card, but was a no-show. When the announcer relayed this to the crowd the boos were deafening, until that is, it was announced that Ernie Ladd would be wrestling in his place. Suddenly, it sounded like HSBC does today when Danny Briere pots one to win a game.

RIP "Big Cat"

(This should be at OTW though)

6'10" over 300 lb defensive tackle played in the 60's when average lineman probably weighed 245. he was essentially as big as Shaq and apparently just as agile, hence the nickname "Big Cat." started 112 games in a row and then left the sport because he made more money in wrestlng. today i'd bet they'd make him slim down to 270 and play defensive end. and with the money he could make in today's game he could have bought the WWF!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-o...p&type=lgns

6'10" over 300 lb defensive tackle played in the 60's when average lineman probably weighed 245. he was essentially as big as Shaq and apparently just as agile, hence the nickname "Big Cat." started 112 games in a row and then left the sport because he made more money in wrestlng. today i'd bet they'd make him slim down to 270 and play defensive end. and with the money he could make in today's game he could have bought the WWF!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-o...p&type=lgns

The Big Cat may have have missed out on NFL Primetime, but he hit it with the WWF. Nothing was better that the Big Cat squaring off against Sargeant Slaughter. On time in Roch, the Sarge beat the Big Cat by disqualification and the War Memorial erupted...riots, people ripping out chirs from the cement and throwing them at the ring, the whole works. The riot police finded put an end to that. The legend of the Big Cat will never die. Log live the WWF!!

Never got to see the "Big Cat" play football, but I did see him wrestle in the Aud in the mid-70s.

As I recall Bruno Sammartino was supposed to be on the main card, but was a no-show. When the announcer relayed this to the crowd the boos were deafening, until that is, it was announced that Ernie Ladd would be wrestling in his place. Suddenly, it sounded like HSBC does today when Danny Briere pots one to win a game.

RIP "Big Cat"

(This should be at OTW though)

I saw Ernie play for the Chargers and then I think he ended his career with the Chiefs(?) for one year.

I saw him as a professional wrestler in the Aud and on "Championship Wrestling" TV show. He wrestled Dominic DeNucci for the championship belt and lost. He then proclaimed himself the "King of Wrestling" and wore a crown and a robe on the next Saturday telecast. What great fun! :pirate::wallbash:

The Big Cat was awesome.