Taking the optimists down a notch.

daquix

I don't always like what Bob Mathews has to say, but this is about as dead on the money as you can get.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../703120321/1011

Particularly, these two parts:

"Does anyone think Buffalo is better today than it was at the end of the 2006 season?"
Ouch.

"Levy points out that he has flexibility on the first day of the draft (April 28) because the Bills have four of the top 92 picks (12, 43, 74 and 92). But New England has four of the top 91, including two first-rounders (24, 28, 60 and 91), and the Jets have four of the top 89 (25, 59, 63 and 89)."

Ouch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yo dude, FTB F**k the Bit**es. dont let the haters play on us. we got something here in Buffalo with Levy in charge and we are gonna be better than anyone expects. i garuntee, we break the trend of Pats sweep this year and beat them badly at least once. mark my words!

I don't always like what Bob Mathews has to say, but this is about as dead on the money as you can get.

Ouch.

Ouch.

daquix,

I here ya and it does sting a little bit.

Honestly though, two things:

1. I think we drafted better last year, top to bottom, than our divisional opponents drafted.

2. I think our 2006 draft picks have better upswing potential (MaCargo, Whitner, Williams, etc) than our divisional opponents' picks.

And I believe in our 2007 draft b/c of the above.

I suppose that this was what Badolbilz was trying to tell us.

The thing is, this article doesn't account for possible improvement from Peters, Kelsay, JP, Evans, or perhaps even Whitner.

I can really support the MaGahee trade. It is a total waste to lose these guys and get nothing, but losing Fletcher made little sense because he went so cheap. I still think they should have franchised him for a year and dumped him in 08, but maybe they have a plan.

Of course we aren't as good as we were at the end of the season. We lost an all pro cornerback (who we were going to lose no matter what) a good middle linebacker (who we were going to have to replace in the next year) and an average to good running back (who might have held out and left us in a bad situation). On the other hand, we have pretty good draft choices, lots of free agent money, a revamped offensive line, and a chance at a stud to fill out the defensive line. We have Crowell to fill MLB and Jabari Greer to fill in at the corner. Spikes should be better at the beginning of this season than he was at the end of the season. We strengthen the front seven on defense we will not be missing NC as much as one might think. I think Matthews should wait until the beginning of next season before making comparisons.

Yes, this is what we need. An article to knock the optimists down a notch or two because it's been so long since anyone has tried to do such a thing.

I swear I'm convinced that most of the world believes being an optimist is just plain ignorant.

Yes, this is what we need. An article to knock the optimists down a notch or two because it's been so long since anyone has tried to do such a thing.

I swear I'm convinced that most of the world believes being an optimist is just plain ignorant.

Optimists shall drown in a half-full swimming pool.

Pragmatists will be eliminated in the most cost-effective fashion.

But if you are a pessimist, any surprise is by definition a pleasant one.

I guess Bob doesn't put too much stock into...

A team's young core of players improving on last season's promising performances.

No coaching staff turnover means only rookies will have to learn a new system.

Team chemistry, the slash and burn backstabbing players are all but gone.

McCargo (broken foot) and Youboty (Mom's death) living up to their pre-draft billing.

The 2007 rookies making the same impact as the 2006 rookies.

As for the division...

The Pats are petrified they are getting past expiration date (see Harrison, Bruski, Brown ect), some could also see their new additions as a desparate attempt at staying younger. Not sure I buy it, but they are still holding on by a thread. Eventually youth (see Bills) will beat the aging veterans (see Pats).

The Jets will of course be in the fight. But depending the final rosters I think the Bills will be right there with them.

The Dolphins will not be as good as the Bills in 2007. Without a doubt.

It's also very easy to be a pessimist.

Ouch.

Ouch.

Some good points in the article, but there are so many factors that come into play that could impact things once the season starts: injuries, productivity form draft picks, game-planning, free agent signings not panning out as expected, younger players stepping up out of the woodwork, older players playing more sluggish than expected.

Pat will likely win the division.

Bills will compete with the Jets for the 2nd spot .... one of the two may get a wildcard spot.

The Fins are headed to the basement again .... defence is aging, and an offence-in-rebuilding phase under CC

Ouch.

Ouch.

Mark Campbell*

Troy Vincent +

Lawyer Millowy*

Sam Adams*

*Marv was off his rocker to get rid of these guys in 06

+There's no way this new scheme works without his leadership.

sorry to be an optimist, but you could look at it this way (regarding the loss of clements, fletcher, and mcgahee)...

1. Losing clements hurts. sure we have youboty to step in, but he is an unknown. He does, however, have more upside than a 1st rounder, due to his being in the system for a year.

2. How is Spikes - Fletcher - Crowell better than Spikes - Crowell - Ellison? Fletcher is on the decline, and Spikes will in all likelihood be better in '07 compared to '06, due to more recovery time from injury. Crowell should be able to replace the ability of a declining fletcher, at least on the field.

3. McGahee? 990 yards isnt easily replaceable, especially with a vastly improved o-line? thats 62 yards per game. a back that can get a bit over 3 yards per carry, is easily found.

4. D-line - we have the same DL at the end of '06, but have a healthy McCargo. A healthy versus an injured McCargo, is an improvement.

5. Jp/Evans,etc will improve this season, as will our rookies.

sure, replacing Clements is tough, but overall, i highly doubt the march 07 bills are significantly worse than the december 06 bills.

It depends on who is doing the talking, wouldn't ya say?

I don't care about Mathews, but Badolbilz is a long time season ticket holder who studies both the Bills and college football in depth, to the point that he watches film. He deserved better than he got when he posted his concerns about the defense.

Sometimes the truth hurts. I am optimistic because we seem to finally have a good Guard and LT. There are posters on this board who were about 2 years old the last time the Bills had a team that could block, and I kid you not. Imo, the entire character of the football team will change when WE start kicking ass in the cold instead of getting our asses kicked. It has been a disgrace, and I think that things are about to change.

That said, if Badol has concerns about our defense, you can bet your a$$ that he is on the money.