Another Aggressive move by New England

According to Rotoworld :

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL

Aggressive Patriots land Donte' Stallworth

Patriots agreed to terms with WR Donte' Stallworth on a six-year contract.

The deal is worth $30 million, including roughly $12 million guaranteed, according to ESPN. This is the second player believed to be in the NFL's substance-abuse program that New England has signed this offseason (also Sammy Morris). He gives Tom Brady a deep threat to start opposite Reche Caldwell with Wes Welker in the slot, but Stallworth's fantasy numbers may not improve in the Patriots' receiver committee. Mar. 11 - 9:54 am et

Once again this put us behind the game. They are going to give the division a serious run once again. Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I can say is that if we keep this mentality that we will not win next year or that we are 2,3 years from being competitive then we never will be! In todays NFL a team can go from worse to first in one season or vice versa. And no matter how young our core group is, they will never play together more than 3,4 years due to salary cap restrictions. So that is why I want to see the best product on the field year after the year; the only position I have patience for development is QB and that is only in the case where a young QB is not holding back a competitive team.

I wouldn't say the sky if falling just yet. Did this move make the Pats stronger? Sure it did, but I have faith (note: not blind faith) in Marv, Jauron, etc, they'll get things done... Hell we haven't even gotten through the draft of a mini camp. A lot can happen in 6 months. Injuries, trades, the bird flu, contract disputes, poor team chemistry, Belichick is summoned to the UN Security Council to solve world peace and leaves NE...

I wonder how big (or bugged) Reche's eyes were when he found out Stallworth was coming to town?

who cares who they sign? we are doing a very nice job rebuilding our team.the patsies have been thin at wide receiver the past two seasons ,so it makes sense they are going to address that situation.the bills have been thin at offensive and defensive line,well the bills brought in some nice players to fix the o-line and when the smoke clears i bet we draft some nice defensive players.our team is young and on the rise.the patsies just blew a bunch of money on a 30 year old linebacker.and they got a wideout that is in the substance abuse program and they got wes welker who people think is the 2nd coming of jerry rice.he can't be that great for the fisheys to let him go for a second rounder.we won 7 games last year with a crap o-line.yes we lost london and nate,but this team is pretty set at most positions,the holes are not as many as posters believe.marv drafted ashton last year because he knew we would lose nate this year.mccargo got hurt last year so we already have a defensive tackle on the roster, point is we have talent and we need not worry about all the patriot moves.after we draft adrian peterson and paul posluszny we will have two more major holes filled by our own draft.this team is gonna be a very good team soon.i bet by year 3 of the marv regime we are not just hoping that we may make the playoffs ,but it will be expected by us to make the playoffs again.go bills in"07

I mean, I understand that all is not over yet, and things do happen over the course of the off season, (training camp, draft etc), but we are more then just 2 or 3 players away in even making it to the playoffs. The Jets will be competetive as they always find a miracle, and NE, well, is just NE. As for the rest of the conference, they are only getting stonger as we speak. As much as I hate to say it, Baltimore is much stronger with Willis. He is a decent back, and will fit great in their system. I would not discount the fact that he'll run for 1500+ yards thsi season.

We will not be a playoff caliber team with GM and owner trying to do a cash to cap reasoning. It won't work. Other teams will continue to build using the cap space (which just got bigger), and continue to pay top $$ for players.

Our team faired well with the signings so far, great job with Dockerty, but going into the draft needing a CB,RB,FB,WR,LB is not a great feeling for us fans. Even if we address those needs via draft, a LB,RB do not usual fair well their rookie season.

Its just tough seeing these others teams making a huge splash (especially NE), while we sit here in limbo, and never knowing whats going on. I hope it all works out, because as fans of ther Bills, our hearts have been broken too much, and we need something to hold on to.

:blink::oops::o

I mean, I understand that all is not over yet, and things do happen over the course of the off season, (training camp, draft etc), but we are more then just 2 or 3 players away in even making it to the playoffs. The Jets will be competetive as they always find a miracle, and NE, well, is just NE. As for the rest of the conference, they are only getting stonger as we speak. As much as I hate to say it, Baltimore is much stronger with Willis. He is a decent back, and will fit great in their system. I would not discount the fact that he'll run for 1500+ yards thsi season.

We will not be a playoff caliber team with GM and owner trying to do a cash to cap reasoning. It won't work. Other teams will continue to build using the cap space (which just got bigger), and continue to pay top $$ for players.

Our team faired well with the signings so far, great job with Dockerty, but going into the draft needing a CB,RB,FB,WR,LB is not a great feeling for us fans. Even if we address those needs via draft, a LB,RB do not usual fair well their rookie season.

Its just tough seeing these others teams making a huge splash (especially NE), while we sit here in limbo, and never knowing whats going on. I hope it all works out, because as fans of ther Bills, our hearts have been broken too much, and we need something to hold on to.

:blink::oops::o

You've got far too many sinkers on this line.

According to Rotoworld :

The deal is worth $30 million, including roughly $12 million guaranteed, according to ESPN. This is the second player believed to be in the NFL's substance-abuse program that New England has signed this offseason (also Sammy Morris). He gives Tom Brady a deep threat to start opposite Reche Caldwell with Wes Welker in the slot, but Stallworth's fantasy numbers may not improve in the Patriots' receiver committee. Mar. 11 - 9:54 am et

Once again this put us behind the game. They are going to give the division a serious run once again. Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

The Pats own the division and have done so for basically the last 6 years with one hiccup in '02. The other teams have to scramble to catch up to them.

They can now afford to use the draft for depth or to trade out and stockpile picks for next year. Its a good position to be in.

Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

Two posts since May 2005 and this is the best you can do....

:flirt::flirt::)

I agree Buffalo51, the Stallworth signing is not the end of the world. A lot can happen between now and Week 1. That said, it doesn't appear that Buffalo will sign an experienced a quality free agent in this free agent signing period. Meanwhile, NE and the NYJ (to a lesser extent) are making their teams better as we sit on our hands. And those teams made the playoffs this season.

The draft is not going to provide all the answers to our problems, at least not this season. Usually only Round 1 and 2 picks are instant starters and not at a high level. You can say all you want about Whitner, his rookie year will not be his best. At least I hope not. If we plug in a few more rookies it's not an improvement.

Marv has talked about being able to run the ball and stopping the run. We've made no improvements on the defensive side of the ball and continue to rely on the same players minus LFB and NC to play tough defense. Just expecting Tripplett, K. Williams, and McCargo to have better seasons is a pipe dream. They couldn't do it last year, why will they do it this year?

Buffalo made improvements along the OL and I'm glad to see they've put their money where their mouth is. But I think with as many glaring weaknesses in the defense we're not in a position to be a playoff team from the AFC.

Welcome to the second year of rebuilding. To think otherwise is not rational.

And one more thing-which other NFL teams are using this cash to the cap philosophy? None of them. They're trying to win this year. No other team in the NFL has ever used the term,"Cash to the Cap."

Is Donte' Stallworth secretly a lot better than I think he is? I mean, here's his stat sheet:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302227

He had 38 catches last year! And only six in two playoff games. He's definitely pretty good, but he's not a gamebreaker. We'll see what the contract is like.

Wasn't he injured more than half the year?

Two posts since May 2005 and this is the best you can do....

Just because I'm not one to make post, doesn't mean I'm not one to follow this board, or the moves that our team does. I've been a Bills fan since I've watched football, and I know where are teams stands each year. I'm simply stating the facts!

According to Rotoworld :

save us the bother and start visiting the Patriots board.

a lot less aggravation for everyone

Just because I'm not one to make post, doesn't mean I'm not one to follow this board, or the moves that our team does. I've been a Bills fan since I've watched football, and I know where are teams stands each year. I'm simply stating the facts!

So this signing broke your TSW Cherry? :flirt: