A Few Thoughts About Marv....

1) When he came to town and cut the disgruntled, aging vets and a slob (Moulds, Adams, Milloy & Williams), I was very impressed. In retrospect, he was right. The team improved and money was saved.

2) When he devoted our earliest picks to defensive backs in a stocked draft, I (as many well know :rolleyes: ) was beside myself. To be fair, another season is needed to see how this plays out, but I still think that it was the wrong way to go.

3) It was obvious that Clements was gone. The "promise" he made was a dumb move that I don't think can be rationally justified.

4) He went out and spent huge dollars on blockers. I don't see how any sane Bills Fan can make a case that he was mistaken to do so. Imo, he showed that he was keeping up with the times by shelling out the big bucks for an OG, an impressive move at his age.

5) OK, here ya go......I like the trade. I liken it to dumping Williams. WM didn't seem motivated. This stuff about not knowing the plays was a concern. We could have kept him for a year and got nothing in return. Instead, we got 2 first day picks and a 7th. I am impressed.

In summary, I think that Marv is doing what needed to be done (sorry to talk in cliches). I am certain that others on the staff deserve credit, Fairchild in particular. What he did by keeping JP in the pocket last season will help him and the Bills for many years. Now, perhaps we have players on our squad who can actually maintain a pocket.

I am less worried about this football team than I once was. Suddenly, we are almost in the same position as last year in terms of having 1st day picks, with another one in 08 to boot.

Are we going to need a great draft? Certainly, but we are Bills Fans and keep on hoping. Bills Fans never give up.

In all, my congrats and thanks go out to Marv Levy. I expect a playoff appearance this season, and I haven't said this for what seems like a long time..

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know why you didnt like goin on the defensive side of the ball, well i can, cause of our stagnant o, but we can still see the d needed and needs improvement. and i also think that the reason he promised not to use the franchise was for the other players. players hate that thing and marv wanted to show the other players on the team that he has their interest at heart, he cares and wants to have a team with a great environment. other than that i totally agree. i think he is the man to revive this team and i also expect a playoff appearance. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I'm in agreement with the majority of your items.

Regarding #3, perhaps another way to look at it is that Marv was resigned to losing Clements (because he knew he could never offer him a mega-deal) and did not want to do trade him and suffer the ill effects of making that move last year - hence he did not trade him last year. It was just an awkward position to be in. Had he not promised him last year - who knows how Nate would have reacted. He was effectively cut this year - just as a number of other seasoned players who still have some crank in their tank - but they're not worth the money it would cost to keep them. Nate clearly falls into that category.

Anyway, Marv's turning new pages of the book he's writing every day. I'm largely liking what he's doing so far - last year and this.

1) When he came to town and cut the disgruntled, aging vets and a slob (Moulds, Adams, Milloy & Williams), I was very impressed. In retrospect, he was right. The team improved and money was saved.

2) When he devoted our earliest picks to defensive backs in a stocked draft, I (as many well know :rolleyes: ) was beside myself. To be fair, another season is needed to see how this plays out, but I still think that it was the wrong way to go.

3) It was obvious that Clements was gone. The "promise" he made was a dumb move that I don't think can be rationally justified.

4) He went out and spent huge dollars on blockers. I don't see how any sane Bills Fan can make a case that he was mistaken to do so. Imo, he showed that he was keeping up with the times by shelling out the big bucks for an OG, an impressive move at his age.

5) OK, here ya go......I like the trade. I liken it to dumping Williams. WM didn't seem motivated. This stuff about not knowing the plays was a concern. We could have kept him for a year and got nothing in return. Instead, we got 2 first day picks and a 7th. I am impressed.

In summary, I think that Marv is doing what needed to be done (sorry to talk in cliches). I am certain that others on the staff deserve credit, Fairchild in particular. What he did by keeping JP in the pocket last season will help him and the Bills for many years. Now, perhaps we have players on our squad who can actually maintain a pocket.

I am less worried about this football team than I once was. Suddenly, we are almost in the same position as last year in terms of having 1st day picks, with another one in 08 to boot.

Are we going to need a great draft? Certainly, but we are Bills Fans and keep on hoping. Bills Fans never give up.

In all, my congrats and thanks go out to Marv Levy. I expect a playoff appearance this season, and I haven't said this for what seems like a long time..

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good post, although i agreed with the defensive draft last year.

I thought the DB picks last year were brilliant though. We had a rapid;ly aging group back there and marv took the best guys available. Now we need a serious CB, a serious RB and a serious DT. Lets see how that pans out. Good luck marv.

Bill, I'm in agreement with the majority of your items.

Regarding #3, perhaps another way to look at it is that Marv was resigned to losing Clements (because he knew he could never offer him a mega-deal) and did not want to do trade him and suffer the ill effects of making that move last year - hence he did not trade him last year. It was just an awkward position to be in. Had he not promised him last year - who knows how Nate would have reacted. He was effectively cut this year - just as a number of other seasoned players who still have some crank in their tank - but they're not worth the money it would cost to keep them. Nate clearly falls into that category.

Anyway, Marv's turning new pages of the book he's writing every day. I'm largely liking what he's doing so far - last year and this.

The thing is, we got 2 first day picks for Willis. Guys like us have seen him play every down of his pro career. He is good, but simply not as good as Clements. We should never have lost him for nothing in return. It made no sense.

That said, Marv is new at being a GM. Even experienced guys make big mistakes. TD drafting Williams over McKinnie and L. Jones is a great example. There is room for error.

Last year, we won 7 games with a new defense (full of rookies), a tough schedule, a new coach, an OL that sucked, and a non-proven qb. Somebody is doing their job, and I give Marv a large chunk of the credit.

I also have a hunch that Fairchild will be a head coach very soon.

Swinging the deal for McGahee with Baltimore was a solid move. In the long run it has excellent potential to be the better side of the deal. Of course much of that is how Buffalo chooses to use those picks.

As for #3, I think they simply had no one on the roster worthy of being a starting CB outside of McGee last season. Marv knew this and decided paying NC the money was ok for one season. Beyond that was out of the question. Call it ethics, call it whatever, but I think they needed something to depend on in 06 for their secondary. The franchise tag provided the answer.

Marv certainly should not be outside of criticism for just being Marv and the GM of this football team. They've made some good moves and some bad ones. I think he knew this team would not get turned around in one year or even two.

At this point I'm done predicting what they'll do next. They do not disappoint if you're looking for the surprise factor.

Not sure if they still go RB in RD 1. DJ is a big defense proponent and that, IMO, carries a lot of weight with Marv. Last year's draft was an early indication of that. I just hope they don't fall in love with a player again and lose sight of the big picture. We can't afford to have a bad draft.