Chris Brown likely to sign with Buffalo today

I guarantee you that no "hate-willis-mania" has clouded the judgment of Levy or Jauron. If they have indeed decided that the Bills need to go a different direction at RB, it's not for the reasons spouted by idiots on a message board.

the cold hard facts of this business is that guys come, and guys go. some go because they can make some serious jack on the open market. some go because they want to play on a team which increases their potential of grabbing a super bowl ring. some leave because the team lets them go. some suffer injuries and you get to the point where management has to decide--will this once great player return to that level of performance, and if so, when?

then there are players like McGahee. Signs would point to the likelihood that he should be a major impact player in the league. he's shown flashed ofdominance, had some good years, etc. if he played every game like he plays when he suits up against the jets, we'd not be having this conversation on a number of levels. i think the reality is that the whisper of a hint of what he might be able to bring to the table is tantalizing, but there isn't enough to push him over the top as your absolute go-to back. couple that with his likely desire to play in a larger market, his desire to renegotiate, and his mouth getting him into trouble now and again, and it makes sense why a wise management team might look to move him.

i think marv's overall philosophy is this:

let's take a reasonable and calculated approach to increase the probability that we will win a championship.

we're in the 15th or 16th month of the marv/jauron era, they've made some mistakes and scored some victories. i'm with those of the mind that there is a plan in place to get good people who want to play in WNY to come and play in WNY. with a solid offensive line, and impact players on defense. after all, we're not looking to move LT for God's sake.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills draft a RB in round one I think my head will explode. If they do, it will mean that in the last 5 years the Bills have used four #1 picks on QBs and RBs. Add to that two other drafts in which their first selection was a WR (Evans and Perrish) and you start to understand why this team can't make the playoffs.

So not only do the Bills use too many early picks on DB's, they use too many on other positions too?

We should just trade away our first three picks every year.

Looks like we're going to sign Chris Brown today. Sirius NFL radio just said that his agent cancelled his scheduled visit in Detroit tomorrow and is still in Buffalo - probably working out the details of a contract.

well hes prolly not coming here wanting to be a backup.

That same reason could explain the cancellation in Detroit, they clearly gave up a lot for Tatum Bell and Kevin Jones is expected to be healthy at some point next season. Maybe he cancelled with Detroit because he doesn't want to be in a situation where there are 3 quality running backs again eg. Travis Henry and Lendale White in Tennessee. Obviously there is no link to the story but i guess it depends what they are emphasing as the meat to the story eg.: "(fact)Brown cancelled interview with Detroit therefore (hearsay) he must be signing with the bills. Vice Vesra: "(fact) Chris Brown stayed over an extra night in Buffalo to work on the details of a contract"

How about this? Sign Chris Brown. Trade Willis to the Ravens for a 2nd. And then take that second and trade it to the Chargers for Michael Turner. Sure the Chargers would like to keep him but he is not worth a #1, and surely they will lose him and get nothing next year. So it would be worth it to get a #2 and then replace him in the draft. The Bills would probably be set with two different kinds of backs in Turner and Brown.

How about this? Sign Chris Brown. Trade Willis to the Ravens for a 2nd. And then take that second and trade it to the Chargers for Michael Turner. Sure the Chargers would like to keep him but he is not worth a #1, and surely they will lose him and get nothing next year. So it would be worth it to get a #2 and then replace him in the draft. The Bills would probably be set with two different kinds of backs in Turner and Brown.

Ever hear the joke about Turner Brown? :lol:

An interesting thought, although we would probably have to part with our #2, not the one we would get from the Ravens, considering the latter would be closer to a #3.

Bills | Team working on sending McGahee to Baltimore

Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:56:54 -0800

ESPNews reports the Baltimore Ravens are working with the Buffalo Bills on a trade to acquire Bills RB Willis McGahee.

Ravens | Team working on trade for McGahee

Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:53:33 -0800

ESPNews reports the Baltimore Ravens are working with the Buffalo Bills on a trade to acquire Bills RB Willis McGahee.

Bills | Team working on sending McGahee to Baltimore

Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:56:54 -0800

Ravens | Team working on trade for McGahee

Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:53:33 -0800

My guess is that it could end up being for their late 2nd round pick. This would give us two 2nds which could be used to get back in the first round.

Draft Lynch with the #12, then trade our two 2nds to move up and take Paul Pos out of PSU.

What kind of worries me is that I think if Brown canceled his other visits, he really likes the numbers he's hearing so far from Buffalo. I'm pretty consistently surprised by the numbers on Marv's signings...Price, Reed, Kelsay, the Oline this year.

Wouldn't surprise me much if Brown gets starter money, no matter what his role actually turns out to be.

So not only do the Bills use too many early picks on DB's, they use too many on other positions too?

We should just trade away our first three picks every year.

I didn't mention DBs anywhere in my post, I'm strictly speaking of how the Bills have used their picks in the past 5 drafts. I guess you LIKE using multiple first round picks on RBs & QBs within a 5 year span? That being said you could include DBs as well. Good teams are usually built from the inside out. Drafting "skill" positions year after year with your first round picks get you where the Lions and Cardinals are. A lot of talent...and very few victories.

I didn't mention DBs anywhere in my post, I'm strictly speaking of how the Bills have used their picks in the past 5 drafts. I guess you LIKE using multiple first round picks on RBs & QBs within a 5 year span? That being said you could include DBs as well. Good teams are usually built from the inside out. Drafting "skill" positions year after year with your first round picks get you where the Lions and Cardinals are. A lot of talent...and very few victories.

The reason teams use multiple first round picks on any given area in a short(ish) span is usually due to those picks not panning out. If you draft a QB high in the first.....& he busts....4-5 years later you are probably doing it again. In our case with RB, it can't be a philosophy(new regimes 2nd year)......so it is just how it is. Where a team is deficient it will use it's resources(i.e. draft) to improve.....history of where resources are used is only relevant to the fans(& their reactions).

I agree that in the recent past we should have drafted more OLmen.......but this draft has to be looked at in regards to the now.....we have to ignore history & draft for what suits todays team. If JPL had not improved, we would be (understandably) looking at using resources on QB again. That's just how it goes.

BTW, Indy drafted Edge because they lost Faulk which was well before they had everything in place. They drafted Adai because they lost Edge. There is a team building philosophy of getting the RB/WR/QB stars & then building your team. I'm not saying I think that the best way to go but.....Indy basically followed it......as did TD for us. Worked for Indy.....not for us(yet).

The reason teams use multiple first round picks on any given area in a short(ish) span is usually due to those picks not panning out. If you draft a QB high in the first.....& he busts....4-5 years later you are probably doing it again. In our case with RB, it can't be a philosophy(new regimes 2nd year)......so it is just how it is. Where a team is deficient it will use it's resources(i.e. draft) to improve.....history of where resources are used is only relevant to the fans(& their reactions).

I agree that in the recent past we should have drafted more OLmen.......but this draft has to be looked at in regards to the now.....we have to ignore history & draft for what suits todays team. If JPL had not improved, we would be (understandably) looking at using resources on QB again. That's just how it goes.

The problem is when they do actually hit a skill position pick they let them move on after their first contract. This just compounds the problem further. They use draft picks for skill positions and then when they don't work out they use another pick on the same position. If it does work out, they let them walk...and use another pick on the same position. Obviously I'm not blaming Marv for all of this but it's just how the recent past has gone for the Bills and it's got to stop at some point if the Bills wish to be successfull.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be) the last 1st round pick the Bills chose AND signed to a second contract was Eric Moulds. That draft pick was made when Marv was still the HC of the Bills.

Alright, so let's just put this into perspective. 3 years ago, the Bills draft McGahee in the 1st round despite the fact that they already have a solid #1RB in Travis Henry and despite the fact that McGahhee is coming off a horrible knee injury. A year later the Bills move Henry to the Titans where, this last year, he emerges as their go to guy after Brown goes down to an injury. Henry put up better rushing numbers last year than Brown ever has (and also put up more attempts than Brown ever has in a single season). Now, it appears, that the Bills will move McGahee someplace and replace him with Brown.

So according to the Bills moves the past few seasons....McGahee>Henry>Brown>McGahee

As you can see from the above, McGahee is greater than McGahee.:blink: We have a moebius strip of running backs.

And no, I’m not criticizing Marv for this move, just the totality of moves that the Bills have made regarding the RB position in the past few years.

Okay, I like that. Webster's 1979 edition (the 4-inch thick MF) spells it "Mobius", but the extra "e" is allowed if there's an umlat from the original German translation (and I don't know, so that's a mulligan).

But that's pretty good. Using "Mobius Strip" on a fan board. That's pretty good. :censored:

More to the point, however, I refer to another post. Is Brown going to get us there? How are the knees? This line's going to open some holes, but they won't all be SUV-sized - someone's going to have to cut.

The problem is when they do actually hit a skill position pick they let them move on after their first contract. This just compounds the problem further. They use draft picks for skill positions and then when they don't work out they use another pick on the same position. If it does work out, they let them walk...and use another pick on the same position. Obviously I'm not blaming Marv for all of this but it's just how the recent past has gone for the Bills and it's got to stop at some point if the Bills wish to be successfull.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be) the last 1st round pick the Bills chose AND signed to a second contract was Eric Moulds. That draft pick was made when Marv was still the HC of the Bills.

Yes, but the problem in today's financial world of the NFL is that a proven performer at a "skill" position is simply going to break the bank when the contract comes to an end. Couple this with the increasing probability that said skill player is going to have a catastrophic injury the longer he stays in the league, and there's a law of diminishing returns that leaves a team hovering like a fly waiting for the windshield on the freeway. In other words - unlike divorce, it's not "cheaper to keep her". DUMP HIM!! There are exceptions at key positions.....but really, I think, only at QB! It makes sense to keep a truly great QB on the roster, and to keep interchanging the parts around him. RBs, CBs, LBs come and go, but there are only so many Favres, Kellys, Mannings and (this one galls me) Bradys.

My guess is that it could end up being for their late 2nd round pick. This would give us two 2nds which could be used to get back in the first round.

Draft Lynch with the #12, then trade our two 2nds to move up and take Paul Pos out of PSU.

we have more needs than a RB and LB on this team.. We need as many picks as we can get.. especially early first day picks.. It wouldn't be good to trade those two 2nd rounders we may have. Keep those picks, do some draft homework to help improve this team with the picks we have/acquire.