Why the Bills went public with Willis

It's not as if Buffalo is silently shopping him to a few teams, they announced he was on the block. It was an unusual path to take, but I feel they took it for a reason. From the Bills perspective they would pull the trigger for a high second or first, but I doubt they felt they would get that. The point of being so public might have been to tell Willis you’re only worth a 3rd rounder in the market, so lets be reasonable about this contract. That message isn’t as effective if you silently shop him to a couple teams. It also lays out the Bills are displeased in time for the off-season training program. If Willis is a guy we want he will not back down from this challenge.

The posturing angle was my biggest concern about the new regime, and if this was posturing it was a hell of a job.

It's not as if Buffalo is silently shopping him to a few teams, they announced he was on the block. It was an unusual path to take, but I feel they took it for a reason. From the Bills perspective they would pull the trigger for a high second or first, but I doubt they felt they would get that. The point of being so public might have been to tell Willis you’re only worth a 3rd rounder in the market, so lets be reasonable about this contract. That message isn’t as effective if you silently shop him to a couple teams. It also lays out the Bills are displeased in time for the off-season training program. If Willis is a guy we want he will not back down from this challenge.

The posturing angle was my biggest concern about the new regime, and if this was posturing it was a hell of a job.

I've been saying this for the past week. Willis now knows his worth, and after some of the outrageous payments around the league this weekend, he'll be more motivated to blow-up in 2007, thus accelerating this value during the FA period in 2008...

I've been saying this for the past week. Willis now knows his worth, and after some of the outrageous payments around the league this weekend, he'll be more motivated to blow-up in 2007, thus accelerating this value during the FA period in 2008...

Don’t you hate that? I promise I didn’t read your stuff, but I obviously agree. It just doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Don’t you hate that? I promise I didn’t read your stuff, but I obviously agree. It just doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Haha, I don't accuse you of plagarism...But seriously, the Bills would probably only give up WM for a first or second round pick. NO team in the league right now is willing to part with that high of a pick for Willis. Buffalo could have replaced him with one of those picks, but instead will have a proven (that's right, proven) player running his A$$ off for his payday in 2008. Meanwhile, they take a moldable back in the 3rd or 4th round this year and take a big name in a RB heavy draft in 2008. It's been win win at the RB position since the start and we're seeing the effects now...bringing in enormous trench guys indicates a commitment to the run and Buffalo will be a popular place for the RB we'll be looking for at this time next year.

Haha, I don't accuse you of plagarism...But seriously, the Bills would probably only give up WM for a first or second round pick. NO team in the league right now is willing to part with that high of a pick for Willis. Buffalo could have replaced him with one of those picks, but instead will have a proven (that's right, proven) player running his A$$ off for his payday in 2008. Meanwhile, they take a moldable back in the 3rd or 4th round this year and take a big name in a RB heavy draft in 2008. It's been win win at the RB position since the start and we're seeing the effects now...bringing in enormous trench guys indicates a commitment to the run and Buffalo will be a popular place for the RB we'll be looking for at this time next year.

Feel exactly the same way.

Feel exactly the same way.

The is exactly what I have been thinking as well.....

The thing is....given the improvements on the line you know know Magehee is going to have a monster year.....

Take a RB in the 3rd round....

I have also been having some second thoughts about the 1st selection.....UNLESS we get a quality corner in free agency like Nick Harper...then we are going to have to take a corner in eiher the first or second round.....Because we took 2 DT's last year we cant take Okoye in the first this year

My ideal situation is being able to trade down a bit to get an extra pick.....still get Patrick WIllis, and going corner in the 2nd round

LB, Corner, Running Back

The posturing was for us -- I'm not sure Willis pays much attention. We now know that everybody knows that he is on the block and that the Bill's will take the best possible deal for him.

If its a third, its a third. The market is what it is.

Except the Bills didn't take it public. The newbie GM for the Giants let it out that they had explored some talks around Willis, which irked the Bills braintrust.

The problem in my eyes is, he's not the guy the "new regime" wants. Buffalo isn't and never was about running their mouths and training off-site. Buffalo is about showing up on Sunday and letting their talking be done on the field. Trust me I really like what Magahee brings to the table skill wise. There's just something missing with him, that all great backs seem to have.

This could turn out to be Peerless Price all over again where we get a career year out of a guy we really dont want and shoot his value through the roof -- and then tag him and get a 1st rounder.

Not saying its going to happen but the odds of Willis having a monster year with this new O-line seem pretty real.

It certainly gives us a lot of options at the end of the season. Hopefully its a playoff season.

This could turn out to be Peerless Price all over again where we get a career year out of a guy we really dont want and shoot his value through the roof -- and then tag him and get a 1st rounder.

Not saying its going to happen but the odds of Willis having a monster year with this new O-line seem pretty real.

It certainly gives us a lot of options at the end of the season. Hopefully its a playoff season.

So you think they totally stay away from drafting a rb this year?

Hard to say if that was the front office strategy or not, but if nobody offers better than a 3rd, it certainly neuters Rosenhaus's position which is a beautiful thing in itself. Willis is just so used and misguided. From the baby mommas to the idiot "U" alumni and their arrogant off-season activities, the perceived lack of preparation by Willis, his awful public statements and the slick agent that allows his clients to be this way, Willis is under-achieving. This has all been said a thousand times on this board and elsewhere. Willis: Wake the hell up! Get rid of that agent and get your shyt together. It's not too late to turn it around and both you and the Bills benefit.

How many times have I posted that this is a contract year for Willis and he will be a monster this year for his payday neext year. Ask Nate Clements or any athelete, they always do that. And Nate will go back to sand bagging now that he got his payday.

The is exactly what I have been thinking as well.....

The thing is....given the improvements on the line you know know Magehee is going to have a monster year.....

Take a RB in the 3rd round....

I have also been having some second thoughts about the 1st selection.....UNLESS we get a quality corner in free agency like Nick Harper...then we are going to have to take a corner in eiher the first or second round.....Because we took 2 DT's last year we cant take Okoye in the first this year

My ideal situation is being able to trade down a bit to get an extra pick.....still get Patrick WIllis, and going corner in the 2nd round

LB, Corner, Running Back

Yeah, it's easy, just pick up a franchise back in the 3rd round. That's where most Super Bowl teams find their featured back.

???????????????

They can't get rid of Willis. They have too much merchandise to sell with his name on it.

Except the Bills didn't take it public. The newbie GM for the Giants let it out that they had explored some talks around Willis, which irked the Bills braintrust.

And the newbie GM for the Giants burned his own credibility by opening his mouth on this. Other teams will approach him caution or not broach any of their most sensitive potential trades with him. The Giants lose out.

Exactly, marv and the Bills office didn't make it public, the giants GM made it public, the Bills just came out after he said it and said yes, we are looking into trade options.

Exactly, marv and the Bills office didn't make it public, the giants GM made it public, the Bills just came out after he said it and said yes, we are looking into trade options.

I refuse to believe that Buffalo discussed the trade in the hush matter that most trades are discussed. If so it was a gross display of conduct by the Giants GM. Hundreds of trades are discussed behind closed doors each off-season that never get leaked.

I believe that all of the negative talk about Willis McGahee has been blown way out of proportion. I think there are some things that he has said that he wishes he could take back. He's young. Young men are like that. As for wanting to negotiate for more money before his contract is up, I think that the Bills will rightly not go for such an okey doke move. McGahee is going to have to prove his worth on the field this year if he wants to command more money. He's going through some growing pains, but he'll do all right. Also, don't think that McGahee isn't salivating at the chance to run behind this new Offensive Line. He could very well end up with a monster year. I could be going out on a limb here, but I think he'll be one of the first players to show up in training camp this year. He isn't the lazy irresponsible picture of a man that the media has been painting.

He won't be traded.

As for Marv Levy, he was ridiculed for his draft pics last year and ended up making the naysayers eat tier words. He seems to do that a lot. You'd think after a while he'd garner more respect.

I refuse to believe that Buffalo discussed the trade in the hush matter that most trades are discussed. If so it was a gross display of conduct by the Giants GM. Hundreds of trades are discussed behind closed doors each off-season that never get leaked.

True - it was an error by the Giant GM, and the NY media was all over him about it.

Yeah, it's easy, just pick up a franchise back in the 3rd round. That's where most Super Bowl teams find their featured back.

???????????????

<_<

Strange line of thinking.

How often do teams find a great outside linebacker in the 3rd round? Or a great cornerback? Or a quality run-stuffer? Maybe we should just skip our 3rd rounder altogether.

Although I do believe Lindell is getting on in years, maybe we could draft his replacement? <_<