WGR Schopp & Bulldog Fantasy Geeks?

These same sex buddies just go on and on and on with fantasy stats and their fantasy sports. Their segments sounds too scripted at times.

They're not dumb, but they are "kiddy" smart.

They trash the bills on anything and everything; point of trashing them just for a ratings grab. The Sabres are a whole different story.

A listener called in if the Sabres owner was too cheap to put donnley on IR and use the extra cash space to sign another player (although going over the cap until donnley returns). The obvious answer was "Yes". These kids just came up with answer after answer why they might not do it instead of saying "hey, why don't we just ask this tough question to the GM since we broadcast their games, and see him almost everyday?".

Their attitude towards the Sabres (who they broadcast) and the Bills (who they don't) is like night and day. As long as you don't get sucked into it, it passes the time by.

WGR should stop trashing the Bills just because they don't transmit their play by play signal!!!!!

Anyone else feel like that?

These same sex buddies just go on and on and on with fantasy stats and their fantasy sports. Their segments sounds too scripted at times.

They trash the bills on anything and everything; point of trashing them just for a ratings grab. The Sabres are a whole different story.

A listener called in if the Sabres owner was too cheap to put donnley on IR and use the extra cash space to sign another player (although going over the cap until donnley returns). The obvious answer was "Yes". These kids just came up with answer after answer why they might not do it instead of saying "hey, why don't we just ask this tough question to the GM since we broadcast their games, and see him almost everyday?".

Their attitude towards the Sabres (who they broadcast) and the Bills (who they don't) is like night and day. As long as you don't get sucked into it, it passes the time by.

WGR should stop trashing the Bills just because they don't transmit their play by play signal!!!!!

His name is tim Connolly, not donnley.

While I agree that Schopp is sometimes hard on callers, have you ever listened to the usual bag of dumb @sses that call that show? He'll say out loud, 'please don't call with ridiculous trades' ... Two seconds later... 'hi first time caller, What about Joe Sakic for Andrew Peters?'. I'd imagine if 1 million idiots called me and had no idea what they were talking about I'd get easily aggitated as well.

As for the Bills, dude they suck. In the scope of this area, they aren't the hot ticket anymore. When they are in the playoffs and competing for a super bowl you will see them get proper respect. The Bills have been bad for a long time. It's the truth and with the Sabres being as good as they are right now, people are jumping to the winner.

I'm a lifer just like you and I understand the sentiment.

"... It's a new dawn.... It's a new day....."

The Real

These same sex buddies just go on and on and on with fantasy stats and their fantasy sports. Their segments sounds too scripted at times....

....Anyone else feel like that?

I think people are way too sensitive about "anti-Bills" sentiments, whether it is on GR or here on the wall. We all love the Bills (or we wouldn't come here day after day), but that doesn't preclude us from being negative about the way things are going with the team. It is part of being a fan. Most of us have been Bills fanatics longer than anyone who works at 1 Bills Drive, other than Ralph.

The guys on GR are no different. I honestly don't think it has a thing to do with the fact that they don't broadcast the Bills games. The better the Bills are, the better it is for the sports talk radio station in their market, whether the broadcast the games or not.

As for the Sabres...there is little to complain about. They are the #1 team in the leauge, have been most of the season, and seem to have connected with the WNY sports fans in a way that the Bills have not been able to do for a few years now.

As for the "donnely" issue, I think I heard the conversation you are referring. The caller asked if it was a sign that the owner was "cheap", and their answer was, mainly, that the Sabres seem to feel that Connoly would be ready to go at some point, in the playoffs. They also offered up the possibilty that the Sabres felt, without Connoly since last season, were still the top team in the leauge, and there just wasn't anyone available, at the salary they could afford, that offered them any better options than what they already had in Rochester...

Your post begs the following question: what good can be said about the bills now?

Cash to the Cap, Baby! WHoooo! :thumbdown:

Stroke and the Bullfrog suck!

I listen EVERY SINGLE DAY just to make sure I catch their idiot ramblings!

:thumbdown::blink::lol:

If you don't like it, change the station. If you want to listen to Sports Talk radio, turn the dial to 550- it's your only option in town. (Sometimes you can pickup 1000AM from Chicago or 660AM WFAN from NYC.) Be prepared for the fact that controversy and stirring the pot is the M.O. on these sports shows, and stooges who get worked up over it are the listeners they covet.

Personally, I think about 90% of what they talk about on WGR is pretty good. When the other 10% strikes, guess what? I change the station and crank some tunes! Pretty easy!

Bottom line- these radio hosts are paid professionals, but in the end, they are fans like the rest of us. Stick you and I in front of a microphone for four hours everyday, dealing with some moron callers, and I'm sure we'd say some idiotic things too.

I have no problems with kicking the Bills or Sabres when they deserve it. The Sabres are a remarkable story; injury riddled and keep on winning.

My problem is that tend to use the Bills as a whipping boy and crank up there ratings. They wouldn't dare say some of the things that they do if WGR was broadcasting their games; it's their two faced attitude on which team they do the play by play.

Bills suck, fine! Sabres suck , fine! But don't play goody goody on one and not the other because of play by play rights.

donnly issue was typical; thy could have asked the GM of the sabres "is the owner cheap?" because they have access. They blew the question off. If you have the rights, then you have access. You dont ask then your credability is at stake.

They would advertise "we'll tell u the truth about the bills; not like the home team radio station". Same BS from them on hockey.

Just calling them on it!!!

I only listen to this load of a station for the updates (which can be mangled at times) and then switch to 590 or 660. Two real sports talk stations. I did however catch a few minutes around the Super Bowl when the topic was "Does 0 for 4 still hurt?" or something like that. No, all Bills fans have forgotten about that. Talk about lazy. How Buttdog still has a job in this city is truly amazing considering his articulates as well as a lamp. They just ride on the Sabres coattails and are fortunate they have no competition. They have it too easy and it shows. Want to hear just how bad they really are? Listen during the Summer when they actually have to work at it. These two are bad but that POS at night is even worse. Catch the updates and turn the dial. After all, you're not missing anything anyway.

While I agree that Schopp is sometimes hard on callers, have you ever listened to the usual bag of dumb @sses that call that show? He'll say out loud, 'please don't call with ridiculous trades' ... Two seconds later... 'hi first time caller, What about Joe Sakic for Andrew Peters?'. I'd imagine if 1 million idiots called me and had no idea what they were talking about I'd get easily aggitated as well.

As for the Bills, dude they suck. In the scope of this area, they aren't the hot ticket anymore. When they are in the playoffs and competing for a super bowl you will see them get proper respect. The Bills have been bad for a long time. It's the truth and with the Sabres being as good as they are right now, people are jumping to the winner.

I'm a lifer just like you and I understand the sentiment.

"... It's a new dawn.... It's a new day....."

The Real

Im a huge bills fan & a moderate sabres fan, meaning I watch 1 out of every 3 games & will get really into them once the playoffs start. The one aspect about the sabres & the NHL in general that makes it hard for me to become a die hard like Iam with the bills is that noone really cares about hockey outside a select few cities in this country. Argue all you want but if the bills win, it puts buffalo on the map throughout the country, if the sabres win, 80% of the country probably doesnt even know who won the cup last year.

As far as those 2 idiots on 55, they dont like football. They even admit it. How they got this job is beyond me considering this is a football driven town.

Im a huge bills fan & a moderate sabres fan, meaning I watch 1 out of every 3 games & will get really into them once the playoffs start. The one aspect about the sabres & the NHL in general that makes it hard for me to become a die hard like Iam with the bills is that noone really cares about hockey outside a select few cities in this country. Argue all you want but if the bills win, it puts buffalo on the map throughout the country, if the sabres win, 80% of the country probably doesnt even know who won the cup last year.

So you need the "rest of the country's" validation to like something? What kind of crap is that?

Why the hell does Buffalo need to be on the map? So more mouthbreathers will move there for the jobs that don't exist and aren't coming?

The BILLS could win every Super Bowl for the next decade and it won't change a damn thing (other than the wicked parties I'll get to go to). The politicos will still be driving the bus off the cliff and the locals will keep voting the incumbents back in at a 90% clip.

So you need the "rest of the country's" validation to like something? What kind of crap is that?

Why the hell does Buffalo need to be on the map? So more mouthbreathers will move there for the jobs that don't exist and aren't coming?

The BILLS could win every Super Bowl for the next decade and it won't change a damn thing (other than the wicked parties I'll get to go to). The politicos will still be driving the bus off the cliff and the locals will keep voting the incumbents back in at a 90% clip.

Im not saying by the bills winning the super bowl it would change the plight of the city. All Im saying is it is tough to get in to the NHL during the regular season given the fact that when their main tv contract is with OLN & sports center gives the nhl the last 5 seconds for highlights behind NFL, NBA, MLB, College Bball/Fball, Nascar, poker, golf, lady's bball & lacrosse. I would much rather get into college bball & march madness & wait for the playoffs in April then watch a regular season NHL game on a nightly basis. For my money the 1st weekend of the NCAA Tournament is the best sporting event of the year. Just my preference I guess.

Im not saying by the bills winning the super bowl it would change the plight of the city. All Im saying is it is tough to get in to the NHL during the regular season given the fact that when their main tv contract is with OLN & sports center gives the nhl the last 5 seconds for highlights behind NFL, NBA, MLB, College Bball/Fball, Nascar, poker, golf, lady's bball & lacrosse. I would much rather get into college bball & march madness & wait for the playoffs in April then watch a regular season NHL game on a nightly basis. For my money the 1st weekend of the NCAA Tournament is the best sporting event of the year. Just my preference I guess.

You know, when I lived in WNY (until I was 22) I never missed a Bills or Sabres game. When I moved away, I was able to follow the Bills (the NFL being what it is), but I missed pretty much, most of the 90's Sabres, other than a few ESPN games a year, and the playoffs. I thought I didn't miss hockey that much, and started to buy into the national perception that it was sort of a minor leauge sport.

The season the Sabres made it back to the finals, I fell in love with the game all over again. Living in the middle of Texas, it is not easy to follow the NHL, but Center ICE has been a god-send...I kind of like the regional appeal of the NHL. I am sure the leauge itself would prefer NFL like exposure, but the way it is now, is just fine with me...

Im not saying by the bills winning the super bowl it would change the plight of the city.

Then why say "it'd put Buffalo on the map"? The region suffers from an identity crisis that it has mostly earned. The BILLS winning would mean NOTHING to the rest of the country, other than they'd stop calling us total losers for about 3 seconds.

All Im saying is it is tough to get in to the NHL during the regular season given the fact that when their main tv contract is with OLN & sports center gives the nhl the last 5 seconds for highlights behind NFL, NBA, MLB, College Bball/Fball, Nascar, poker, golf, lady's bball & lacrosse. I would much rather get into college bball & march madness & wait for the playoffs in April then watch a regular season NHL game on a nightly basis. For my money the 1st weekend of the NCAA Tournament is the best sporting event of the year. Just my preference I guess.

ESPN sucks. That's been established. Who cares? If the reason you don't watch hockey during the regular season is because they don't show highlights, that's your loss. The NHL is sorry that ESPN's brass hasn't figured out how to broadcast hockey. Perhaps they could use Disney to put Big Bird patches on sweaters so we could get more kids to watch.

In reality, the regular season of every sport except football absolutely drags because of the sheer number of games - college hoop included. The NFL and college fb have it pretty much right because their games can truly only be played once a week and that fits our society's "microwave mentality."

I'm still waiting for the basketball game I can't miss all but the last two minutes of (which takes at least 20 minutes to play). Hasn't happened yet, though an argument could be made for the Louisville/Houston tilt when Lancaster Gordon and the McCrays lost a dunkfest to Larry Michaeux, Benny Anders, Akeem, and Clyde Drexler.

For my money, the best week of any season is the opening of the Stanley Cup. Every team starts with a clean slate and each has a good chance of at least getting to the Finals. Sure, the NCAA Tournament has upsets, but rarely do underdogs get past the Sweet 16 (where have you gone, Bryce Drew?). But the tournament does have some slick presentation...

Then why say "it'd put Buffalo on the map"? The region suffers from an identity crisis that it has mostly earned. The BILLS winning would mean NOTHING to the rest of the country, other than they'd stop calling us total losers for about 3 seconds.

ESPN sucks. That's been established. Who cares? If the reason you don't watch hockey during the regular season is because they don't show highlights, that's your loss. The NHL is sorry that ESPN's brass hasn't figured out how to broadcast hockey. Perhaps they could use Disney to put Big Bird patches on sweaters so we could get more kids to watch.

In reality, the regular season of every sport except football absolutely drags because of the sheer number of games - college hoop included. The NFL and college fb have it pretty much right because their games can truly only be played once a week and that fits our society's "microwave mentality."

I'm still waiting for the basketball game I can't miss all but the last two minutes of (which takes at least 20 minutes to play). Hasn't happened yet, though an argument could be made for the Louisville/Houston tilt when Lancaster Gordon and the McCrays lost a dunkfest to Larry Michaeux, Benny Anders, Akeem, and Clyde Drexler.

For my money, the best week of any season is the opening of the Stanley Cup. Every team starts with a clean slate and each has a good chance of at least getting to the Finals. Sure, the NCAA Tournament has upsets, but rarely do underdogs get past the Sweet 16 (where have you gone, Bryce Drew?). But the tournament does have some slick presentation...

Did you happen to catch the Texas/Texas A&M Bball game last night on the deuce? There is not a hockey game in the world played in the last 20 years that could compete with that game last night for pure entertainment & excitement.

You know, when I lived in WNY (until I was 22) I never missed a Bills or Sabres game. When I moved away, I was able to follow the Bills (the NFL being what it is), but I missed pretty much, most of the 90's Sabres, other than a few ESPN games a year, and the playoffs. I thought I didn't miss hockey that much, and started to buy into the national perception that it was sort of a minor leauge sport.

The season the Sabres made it back to the finals, I fell in love with the game all over again. Living in the middle of Texas, it is not easy to follow the NHL, but Center ICE has been a god-send...I kind of like the regional appeal of the NHL. I am sure the leauge itself would prefer NFL like exposure, but the way it is now, is just fine with me...

Funny you mentioned that. I have friend that after college moved to Cincy, said he had a real tough time following the sabres due to lack of coverage. Moved back here last year, the guy is like a fan possessed when it comes to the sabres. He has season tickets with us for the bills & has 2 seasons tickets for the sabres. Usually takes his wife, once in awhile will take one of the guys. It seems like he loves the sabres 10xs more then the bills. Ah, it is probably because they are winning.

Did you happen to catch the Texas/Texas A&M Bball game last night on the deuce? There is not a hockey game in the world played in the last 20 years that could compete with that game last night for pure entertainment & excitement.

The Texas/Oklahoma State game was even better. But I disagree about your idea that hockey can't match it.

It seems like he loves the sabres 10xs more then the bills. Ah, it is probably because they are winning.

Yeah, sure, winning always makes things more fun. That being said, the Bills will always be #1 in my book, the Sabres a close second. I think you are underrating the game itself. I happen to enjoy the NBA too (I know, not popular here), but I root for a specific team. Hockey, I can watch any two teams play. The NHL playoffs are as exciting as any sporting event I can think of, Sabres winning or not....

Yeah, sure, winning always makes things more fun. That being said, the Bills will always be #1 in my book, the Sabres a close second. I think you are underrating the game itself. I happen to enjoy the NBA too (I know, not popular here), but I root for a specific team. Hockey, I can watch any two teams play. The NHL playoffs are as exciting as any sporting event I can think of, Sabres winning or not....

Hockey playoffs are definately exciting, no argument here.

Say what you want about Schopp, he's a hockey guy who happens to mention the Bills from time to time. Even though it's Free Agency, the Sabres are one of the hottest things in hockey. The Bills are not one of the hottest things in football even with free agency.

I've heard Spikes is not a great locker room type. This was exhibited when Troy Vincent was placed on the IR early on in the 06 season. I recall him making his complaints public. I think that's the type of thing Marv and Dick don't want with a young team is a vet saying negative things to the public. Notice, I don't think it's wrong to ask questions about personnel moves, but keep it in house.

My only concern is, who replaces Spikes should he go. We're already primed to let F-B go. Now we've got 2 LB's to replace.