For Those of You Prone to Calling WGR55

ChevyVanMiller

Sometime during the Christmas season a guy phoned in to ask what Sabres jersey he should buy. He stated that he didn't want to drop $250-$300 for a player that would be out of town by next season.

After a few seconds of thought Schopp suggested Juri Novotny, saying that the Czech was an up-and-commer that would likely be on the team for years.

I'm not knocking Schopp, it's hard to offer opinions for 4-hours each day and not stick your foot in your mouth occasionally, but I hope that guy didn't take his advice. If he did there's going to be a very angry ebay auction for a #13 jersey this morning.

Way too much player movement in sports (and in hockey, WAY too much) and the risk of career-ending injury to be plunking down $250 just to have an authentic jersey w/ a 40 percent chance of being irrelevant w/in a year, and near 95 percent w/in 5 years.

If you're going to go the full monty for any sport's jersey, for Pete sakes, put your name and favorite number or go with a revered retired player. It will always be relevant, barring jersey changes (and even at that, old jerseys retain their character), episodes of amnesia, or if you're a team-swapping whore like T-Bone.

I recently bought a Vintage 1981 Sabres home Jersey. Name?--- Ruff- Number 22 and the Captain's "C". I figured you could not go wrong with a class guy who represented the team well as a player and even better as a coach.

My son turns 9 next month and wants a jersey. In the kids sizes, the big availability is Miller, Briere and Drury. Briere is his fav player, but I may get the Miller just because I'm sure he'll be around next year.

By the way, the first real live jersey I ever bought was 2 years ago... A Willis McGahee. (Where's that slap your head emoticon?)

TWO HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS for a frigging jersey? Where do you buy those? Stupid jock-sniffer with too much money City? :thumbsup:

Yup. Last time I bought a jersey of any kind was ~10 years ago when I was a stupid kid with a little disposable income (and back then, it was ~$100). It doesn't make much sense to me now to spend a month of grocery bills on something you'll probably wear 4 times a year.

The coup de grace for me came when, at a family party, a distant cousin's husband showed in full Cleveland Browns regalia. I thought, "Is that really what I look like when I wear that sh--?" If you go to a game, all right. But I'd rather get a simple retro T-shirt for a few bucks, slip on some sunglasses and go casual-cool.

TWO HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS for a frigging jersey? Where do you buy those? Stupid jock-sniffer with too much money City? :lol:

Exactly!

Then look around an NFL stadium or NHL ice rink and see EVERYBODY wearing them! ;)

Now you know where the money is coming from... The fools that call themselves fans!

:blink::devil:

Yup. Last time I bought a jersey of any kind was ~10 years ago when I was a stupid kid with a little disposable income (and back then, it was ~$100). It doesn't make much sense to me now to spend a month of grocery bills on something you'll probably wear 4 times a year.

The coup de grace for me came when, at a family party, a distant cousin's husband showed in full Cleveland Browns regalia. I thought, "Is that really what I look like when I wear that sh--?" If you go to a game, all right. But I'd rather get a simple retro T-shirt for a few bucks, slip on some sunglasses and go casual-cool.

I would even be embarresed at a game... People are really goofy...

if you are over 19 years old and wear a jersey ANYWHERE but to a game.... its time to rethink your entire life.

I am more than twice that age, and currently have a bid (about $60) on a 1972 Buffalo Braves (the red & black ones!), Bob McAdoo jersey....time to start rethinking I guess...

if you are over 19 years old and wear a jersey ANYWHERE but to a game.... its time to rethink your entire life.

Oh noes, Dr. Dankenstein thinks that its time to rethink my life because I wore my old red 3rd jersey yesterday. Can anyone recommend some good self help books? Maybe I should start smoking weed, then maybe I'll get the same enlightenment as "the dank".

2 commnets on this topic...

1st...I am very happy to see the Zubrus will wear #15. I thought he might try to buy #9 and ruin my Roy sweater.

2nd...A fan should never put their own name on a jersey, that's just lame.