Tim Anderson reportedly tendered

JoeF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with tendering a contract to Tim Anderson for the minimum qualifying offer.

1. No bonus means no money is at risk. If we don't want him, we cut him and he does not get paid, and we do not take a cap hit.
  2. He doesn't take a roster spot away from anyone else (see above).
  3. We could get a third round pick from another team (or some other negotiated compensation).

I wish we had a better player in the rotation than Tim Anderson, but until they materialize, or until Anderson makes the final roster cut, I'll reserve my criticism of the decision to keep him or go with someone else. That decision has not been made yet. If the Bills decided he was the answer, this would be a multi-year deal.

Today changes nothing.

2) Its a base tender. if he continues to be as ineffective as he's always been, he probably won't even make the team this upcoming year. either way you haven't lost much and there's always the possibility (however slim) that the lights might go on for him being in the system another year and he could become a decent contributor.

Indeed...that was my point. A Football 101 topic these days...

if any team in the NFL offers the Bills a 5th rounder for Tim Anderson, I will eat a dozen apples and sh-- you a fruit salad.

That would be something.

Matt in DC is absolutely right here, folks. It doesn't make any sense to NOT tender an 850k RFA. There is zero money at risk here, and even if you get a conditional 7th it's still *something* for potentially nothing. I doubt TA will don a Bills jersey in 07.

2) Its a base tender. if he continues to be as ineffective as he's always been, he probably won't even make the team this upcoming year. either way you haven't lost much and there's always the possibility (however slim) that the lights might go on for him being in the system another year and he could become a decent contributor.

Indeed...that was my point. A Pro Football 101 topic, these days.

you guys are bitching about this? give me a breeeak...

I'm not high on TA either, but it wouldn't make sense to NOT tender a guy at 850K when you know that so many teams are in need of *depth* at DT, us included. 850K. And all the leverage...to get a 3rd round pick? Not likely. But I'm sure there are a few teams out there willing to give up a 4th or certainly a 5th for an experienced DT. If you let him walk, someone's going to sign him. Might as well see if you can get something, take the guy to camp, and then either see if he's turned the corner, or THEN let him walk, with no hit to the cap.

Preee-cisely. Nice post. It costs us next to nothing to do this and dump him in camp if that's the best course of action.

Lotta Henny Pennys floating around here for it being February, otherwise known as still the same month in which the previous season's Super Bowl is played. There will be time to address these concerns. Crikey.

Whats on your mind?

Ever-thinning hair.

If I somehow survive the next few years, I will be a member of the routinely ridiculed comb-over crowd.

But that is no problem, for I adhere to Thoreau's concept of food, clothing, shelter, and heat being the chief necessities. Whatever natty appearance I may show is strictly due to my wife's kindly intervention.

You guys are funny. Marv & Co. have a "to do" list. There are a whole lot of items on that list. Some of them have deadlines. The deadline for slapping a tender on someone turns out to be thursday. You have to think thats pretty close to top priority right now, along with making competitive offers to our own guys before FA starts.

Anderson, meh. I dont particularly like him either, but there is NO REASON not to put a tender on the guy. Nothing to see here. No harm in doing it. I'd be more upset if we DIDNT tender him.

In the overall glance of our offseason, this move will rank about #150 down on the importance scale. Somewhere below sending a scout team to check out the pro day at William & Mary.

if any team in the NFL offers the Bills a 5th rounder for Tim Anderson, I will eat a dozen apples and sh-- you a fruit salad.

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

you guys are bitching about this? give me a breeeak...

I'm not high on TA either, but it wouldn't make sense to NOT tender a guy at 850K when you know that so many teams are in need of *depth* at DT, us included. 850K. And all the leverage...to get a 3rd round pick? Not likely. But I'm sure there are a few teams out there willing to give up a 4th or certainly a 5th for an experienced DT. If you let him walk, someone's going to sign him. Might as well see if you can get something, take the guy to camp, and then either see if he's turned the corner, or THEN let him walk, with no hit to the cap.

Well put. I think the knee-jerk reaction is a result of years of sweating the effect of those tenders on the cap. The Bills are so far under the cap that unguaranteed deals like this are insignificant at this point.

Just in case what ? In case we need to give our offense more rest and we are afraid of making the other team punt! If he is on our roser opening day then the Bills did a poor job of filling their squad.

I generally agree, but you know what? S#it happens that has nothing to do with the talent of our GMs (did I just type that?). If we select a DT in the draft or land a solid FA and any of our top DTs hurt themselves before the roster cut-down, we may find ourselves glad TA is under contract. This has nothing to do with anything but dumb luck (or the strength/conditioning coach :worthy: ), but is a statement that TA will likely be about as good or better than the other DTs cut from other teams.

If we thought he was better than that, we'd have offered him a multi-year deal. How would you feel about being forced to sign someone worse than Tim Anderson because of untimely injury/injuries? Sorry to talk about injuries (bad mojo), but planning for the unexpected is part of the job filling the roster as well as possible.