How much does our team's chemistry and direction affect

Tipster19

I liked reading about Fletcher wanting to stay and how he likes the direction of our team. Hopefully this will come into play with not only him but possibly Kelsay and others. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will sway Clements' thinking too much. While we will lose some players, we might not lose as many as first were feared. Having a potential bright future playing for Buffalo and it's administrators may lead to other ramifications like attracting outside FAs. Money is always a motivator but I think playing for stand-up representatives and an organization heading in the right direction may still carry more weight than one might realize. Hopefully this is our situation. Does this seem realistic or am I living in another era?

I liked reading about Fletcher wanting to stay and how he likes the direction of our team. Hopefully this will come into play with not only him but possibly Kelsay and others. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will sway Clements' thinking too much. While we will lose some players, we might not lose as many as first were feared. Having a potential bright future playing for Buffalo and it's administrators may lead to other ramifications like attracting outside FAs. Money is always a motivator but I think playing for stand-up representatives and an organization heading in the right direction may still carry more weight than one might realize. Hopefully this is our situation. Does this seem realistic or am I living in another era?

For 95% of the FAs, I would imagine that Buffalo is a pretty good spot for them. I think the franchise as a whole is highly respected around the league. Players talk, and most of them learn to love Buffalo because of the fans and the fact we're the only game in town besides the Sabres, and it's a good place for a family and it's cheap. Marv is actually a pretty good drawing card, and regardless of the fact of whether he is a great coach or not, Dick Jauron is a huge drawing card. Players love him as much as any coach in the league, and that means a ton to these guys. The only downside, to most of them, is the fact the Bills haven't been in the playoffs lately, and it may be that players don't think the Bills are willing to do what it takes to build a winner because of their fiscal policy. That should affect some players' thinking. I am not sure how much.

The vast majority of free agents aren't star players that will get 15 million bonuses, so the Bills decision doesn't affect most of them. Jauron and Marv have already proven to play whoever produces, so that is another attraction for free agents. We'll be able to bring in and sign some decent players. Just no stars. And there are only a few out there who would help us and be worth it.

I do not think that 95% of the FAs would find the Bills a perfect spot. Maybe about 20% at most. 1st the weather, 2nd the team has not been to the playoffs and 3rd the Bills will not pay the going price for good talent.

There are probably less than ten players now the Bills could not pay the going price for. Most free agents want money, a chance to play, good coaches, people that want them and will respect them. Those are the most important things to the vast majority of them. Since there are a couple hundred of them, and only ten that are categorically ruled out, I guarantee that there aren't many who are saying Buffalo, no way. The vast majority of players aren't stars.

There are probably less than ten players now the Bills could not pay the going price for. Most free agents want money, a chance to play, good coaches, people that want them and will respect them. Those are the most important things to the vast majority of them. Since there are a couple hundred of them, and only ten that are categorically ruled out, I guarantee that there aren't many who are saying Buffalo, no way. The vast majority of players aren't stars.

32 teams X 53 roster spots = 1696 jobs, plus the PS and NFLE spots. Thousands and thousands of folks aspiring for those jobs.

Few are going to lift their leg on the Bills or any other club.

That's the great thing about imagination. Even the silliest of dreams are possible. :blink:

How many players have you heard say "I would not go to Buffalo" in the last decade or so? One? Two? None? I'm not sure if there is a position on this team that isn't open competition, except perhaps quarterback. For the money, virtually any player in the league would come here. They say it all the time. They come in. They say great things when they are here and when they leave. I know better than to talk logic or facts and common sense with you though. This post is for other people reading the thread.

I think chemistry is very important, esp. to building an offense. Look at what that Colts group did with all the players they have kept around. It is particular important for an o-line with all the trust involved. Also, few teams can have massive turnover and do well the next year, exceptions would be the Pats and this years' Saints.

This is why marv has to trade willis before the season starts. His comments weren't a character issue, but a sensitivity issue; fans of NY. Othe players wouldn't mind playing for a team that's on it's way up and they can get alot more playing time than most other teams; youth and inexperience.

Willis, if he was to stay, would be under the gun right from the start. One bad play, quarter, or game and the fans are gonna let him HAVE it; relentless! He's in a no win situation, useless for the bills, and you can't trade his ass for anything. Best for every1 if he leaves.

I do not think that 95% of the FAs would find the Bills a perfect spot. Maybe about 20% at most. 1st the weather, 2nd the team has not been to the playoffs and 3rd the Bills will not pay the going price for good talent.

It's all in how you sell it

1) Weather - non factor. This nevers stops players from going to Green Bay, NE, or New York. It's the way football is supposed to be played. If a guy doen't want to come here because of the weather, you don't want him.

2) The team is coming off a 7-9 season. Lost to the Super Bowl champs by a point on the road. Lost to NE and SD by a combined 5 points. Good young core yet there is an opportunity to earn a spot. Marv and Dick are class acts.

3) This makes no sense. Didn't they pay Clements last year? I thought they overpaid for Royal, Reed, Price, etc. What about Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Spikes, Adams? This logic is old and tiresome. Plus if paying the going price for talent was the answer, then the Pats won't have 3 rings.

Trust me, Buffalo is a much easier sell than you think. Now the question is how much is the front office going to try and sell it???

Exactly.

2nd the team has not been to the playoffs

I believe that will change this year!

It's all in how you sell it

1) Weather - non factor. This nevers stops players from going to Green Bay, NE, or New York. It's the way football is supposed to be played. If a guy doen't want to come here because of the weather, you don't want him.

NE and NY are both beautiful places which feature big beautiful cities, and fancy loft apartments and houses. Both are near by to famous clubs ... etc. Basically it is where an NFL player in their 20's-30's with a lot of money wants to be. Buffalo on the other hand ... all we have is the weather. GB is similar to us, but not NE or NY.

2) The team is coming off a 7-9 season. Lost to the Super Bowl champs by a point on the road. Lost to NE and SD by a combined 5 points. Good young core yet there is an opportunity to earn a spot. Marv and Dick are class acts.
Yes, and we were 9-7, before we were 5-11, a few seasons ago.

3) This makes no sense. Didn't they pay Clements last year? I thought they overpaid for Royal, Reed, Price, etc. What about Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Spikes, Adams? This logic is old and tiresome. Plus if paying the going price for talent was the answer, then the Pats won't have 3 rings.

Franchise tags do not count for overpaying, since it is only for one year. Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Spikes, and Adams were all a part of the Tom Donahoe era, and since Marv announced the cash to cap philosophy, agents will be probably be directing players in the opposite direction.

NE and NY are both beautiful places which feature big beautiful cities, and fancy loft apartments and houses. Both are near by to famous clubs ... etc. Basically it is where an NFL player in their 20's-30's with a lot of money wants to be. Buffalo on the other hand ... all we have is the weather. GB is similar to us, but not NE or NY.

Yes, and we were 9-7, before we were 5-11, a few seasons ago.

Franchise tags do not count for overpaying, since it is only for one year. Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent, Spikes, and Adams were all a part of the Tom Donahoe era, and since Marv announced the cash to cap philosophy, agents will be probably be directing players in the opposite direction.

The cash to cap philosophy doesn't affect 95% of the free agents. Not individually at least. Buffalo has never had any problem attracting players to play here in the last 20 years.

The cash to cap philosophy doesn't affect 95% of the free agents. Not individually at least. Buffalo has never had any problem attracting players to play here in the last 20 years.

In the last 20 years, we were:

1. Making the playoffs

2. Going to Super Bowls

3. Selling out stadiums

In the last 20 years, we were:

1. Making the playoffs

2. Going to Super Bowls

3. Selling out stadiums

No, that was 10-20 years ago. 1-10 years ago we were only selling out stadiums. And we were able to obtain most any free agent we wanted to, including huge names like our own Eric Moulds at the time for a 40 million deal 6 years ago, Spikes, the biggest name at the time, Milloy, a huge name, Adams a big name, etc. The only reason a player won't come to Buffalo is because we won't pay him as much money as he wants. Nate is the biggest free agent on the market and a guy who wants to see his name in lights and a guy who has never been to the playoffs and what's his stance? I love Buffalo and would love to stay here if they pay me.

Is that you Willis?

One tangible could be income taxes and what they clear. All things considered though, I don't think players rule out playing in Buffalo for any specific reason.

Perhaps, but OH is third in tax burden close behind NY and CA (our politicians grab earners by the ankles and shake large amounts of coin out of them so they can buy votes from the great unwashed, same as NY and CA).

The youthful NFL soon-to-be millionaires still show up. :)

As Cinci pointed out 53*32= 1696 roster spots in this league. Less then 5% of those players will demand a signing bonus in excess of 10 million if they hit the open market. It's probably even less then that. For every Nate Clements Free Agency has 50 John Doe's. John Doe might not win you a championship but neither does dropping 20 million on a FA signing bonus.