Fox's Last Mock Draft b4 Combine - Likes Bills Pick

"If the Bills allow Nate Clements to walk as a free agent this off-season, which is the prevailing thought around the league, Buffalo could be looking at a serious hole to fill at cornerback. Revis is a lock-down corner who was both an interception hound and a dangerous special teams return man in his three years at Pitt. With the Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson picks last year, and Revis this time around, the Bills could find themselves with one of the youngest and most promising defensive backfields in the entire league by the time the draft is complete."

There you go Bills fans. Things are looking up! Can hardly wait for season to start!!!!!!!

The more I read about Revis, the more I like him. I love CBs who play well against the run and his athleticism is supposedly excellent. I don't know enough about him to know if he is a good fit for the Cover 2, but if we lose Nate, I wouldn't mind snatching this guy up at all.

Also, going by various mock drafts, there is a possibility that we could trade down and still get him. One mock has him going to INDY at 32 and several others have him going lower than 15.

The more I read about Revis, the more I like him. I love CBs who play well against the run and his athleticism is supposedly excellent. I don't know enough about him to know if he is a good fit for the Cover 2, but if we lose Nate, I wouldn't mind snatching this guy up at all.

Also, going by various mock drafts, there is a possibility that we could trade down and still get him. One mock has him going to INDY at 32 and several others have him going lower than 15.

The Bills will give up their third to move into the ninth slot in fear of losing him because there will be no other lockdown corners available. :blink:

I fully expect Revis to be the top ranked CB after the combine (most rank him below Leon Hall). He has great size/speed and think compares favorably to Nate when he came out to OSU. Of course think Revis should go well before when we got Nate. I say he's a top 15 pick but might as high as 11 to the 49ers as the draft board shows now.

Revis wasn't tested at all playing in the run-happy Big East, making it questionable how good he really is. As a junior, he wasn't eligible to play in the Senior Bowl, either. He's also supposedly not a burner and can't consistently run sub-4.5. The combine may answer that question in his favor, but I wouldn't take him at 12.

Revis wasn't tested at all playing in the run-happy Big East, making it questionable how good he really is. As a junior, he wasn't eligible to play in the Senior Bowl, either. He's also supposedly not a burner and can't consistently run sub-4.5. The combine may answer that question in his favor, but I wouldn't take him at 12.

What are his press conference abilities like? I mean can he handle Sullivan one on one?

I was at the Pitt/WVU game this past season. Revis returned a punt for a TD. It was probably the best football play I've ever seen live. His ability to stay in bounds at the end was unreal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vV3g2Z-0ExA

That was pretty sweet. Its also one of those things that would just never happen in the pro's, but it was pretty cool to watch.

but I wouldn't take him at 12.

I wouldn't take any cb in this years draft at 12. Neither Hall nor Revis are anything to write home about. Leon Hall consistently plays 12 yards off the los, and for a guy his size you think he would be more physical. He'll give up a lot on intermediate stuff, and part of the reason he plays off is because he lacks speed to cover deep. Revis I honestly haven't watched all that much but his speed leaved something to be desired, and seemed to be called for a fair amount of penalties. He'll be drafted high because of his ability as a punt returner. The one corner I do like is Marcus McCauley

USF. Louisville. Cincinatti. A good number of teams in the Big East are passing oriented. Revis did well against all of them.

For the poster who asked about his cover 2 adaptability, we played a good bit of cover two throughout the season, mainly because the linebackers couldn't do man-to-man as much as the coaches liked. Also, Wanny and his DC Roads love the zone, despite the fact we were small and slow up front.

JR - I was there too for that game. Great play, and I had hoped that we'd put up more of a fight than we did....

The Bills will give up their third to move into the ninth slot in fear of losing him because there will be no other lockdown corners available. :blink:

Last year we had an extra 3rd, so we moved up to get McCargo. I don't see us moving up this year unless the Bills target a DE or DT that happens to drop down to around that spot. If a DB is our goal in rd. 1 then I could see us dropping down a bit (2001 draft, Nate Clements pick) and picking up an extra pick. I don't recall Levy being much of a fan for moving up in the draft. I think he would rather let the draft come to him, like his old buddy, the late John Butler.

I don't recall Levy being much of a fan for moving up in the draft. I think he would rather let the draft come to him, like his old buddy, the late John Butler.

Marv never made a move in the first round, stood pat every year. (The Bennet deal was consumated after the draft haloween nite i believe. Marv was dead set against it. Glad he lost the argument!)

Those are minor details. As long as he plays in the secondary and will walk away after 5 seasons, he is worth a long, serious look.

Those are minor details. As long as he plays in the secondary and will walk away after 5 seasons, he is worth a long, serious look.

On a positive note, at least the DBs the Bills draft highly actually do turn out to be valuable.

The Bills could be like the Dolphins and draft Jamar Fletcher and Jason Allen in the 1st round.

Having a good player, although a CB, seems to be a better result than drafting a turd like Eric Flowers or Mike Williams

On a positive note, at least the DBs the Bills draft highly actually do turn out to be valuable.

The Bills could be like the Dolphins and draft Jamar Fletcher and Jason Allen in the 1st round.

Having a good player, although a CB, seems to be a better result than drafting a turd like Eric Flowers or Mike Williams

Cue the "But then we just let them walk as FA's after 5 years when their contracts up" responses

As a Pitt season ticket holder I have seen Revis play for his entire college career. He is very stout against the run and I don't recall seen him get exploited in the speed department later in his career. In fact this last season I didn't see teams even passing to the player he was covering. If they even threw to his side they would draw him off and throw underneath this coverage. This tendency could be attributed to teams try to exploit Pitt's overall speed deficiency at LB (at one point they even moved a safety down to play LB to try and keep up with WVU) by throwing underneath and getting their skill players into space.

The bottom line is that no CB should be taken in the first round. If CB is so unimportant in the Cover-2 that the Bills won't even franchise Clements, then CB is also too unimportant to waste an overall #12 pick on.

It would be idiotic to draft a CB in the first round.

The bottom line is that no CB should be taken in the first round. If CB is so unimportant in the Cover-2 that the Bills won't even franchise Clements, then CB is also too unimportant to waste an overall #12 pick on.

It would be idiotic to draft a CB in the first round.

Bills LBs are a mess

they need one on the first day.

my guess is Willis gets more hype after the combine.

Bills LBs are a mess

I was watching Cold Pizza this morning and they were talking about the Panthers needing a MLB. The guy on there (I forget his name as this the first time I really watched the show) mentioned he felt Willis would be a reach at pick 14 but made mention if they go for a MLB in Round 2 a name to remember is Brandon Siler, who we might want to look at if end up taking Revis or WR Dwayne Jarrett or or DT Amobi Okoye in Round 1.

Forget need and try this: Willis / Revis / Okoye (and more). Who is going to be the best football player over the next five years? I don't know the answer, but I like Willis > Okoke > Revis based on what I know right now.

Draft needs to try to move slighly higher in mediocrity and patch the holes in a leaky ship. Draft great players to build a great team.

But if you are going to look at need, is Revis going to be enough better than Youboty or McGee to justify this pick? Would he take any punt returns away from Roscoe? Doesn't seem like the best pick for either need or talent to me.

Bills LBs are a mess

I agree that the LB situation is a mess, thus I would much rather have a vet who can play the diverse approaches needed by us from an MLB in our cover 2 rather than give this position to a rookie who is going to spend a lot if not all of his first season learning how to be a vet doing reads and playing MLB for us (if we are lucky, if the best we can do is to pick a player who is the #12 prospect it is an open question whether this player will be capable of starting immediately).

I like Butkus winner Willis as our MLB for the future but after his pass coverage struggles at the Senior Bowl I actually hope his stock continues to plummet like a rock because if he is a second round choice it makes it easier for us to configure things so he can sit on the bench awhile as a position player and contribute to the team on ST.

We need enough help in the trenches (where it all begins on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball IMHO) that I am reluctant to see us spend the first round choice on a rookie who cannot perform well enough at a complicated position).

I could see us making the reach for an SS last year who really was a mid-teens level talent at best in the top 10 even though it was a reach because we needed an SS badly and with Oakland surprisingly picking Huff at #7 we had no choice than to reach to snatch Whitner with pick #8 as there was a strong possibility that DET might go for a safety at pick #9 if we traded down (as it turned out they did take an SS with their second pick and that Miami also took one with #15 and they might have been able to jump ahead of us if we traded down and DET took Sims anyway).

However, a rookie playing safety seems doable, but a rookie playing the crucial MLB role the way we implement the Cover 2 simply seems like a move condemning us to a long season.

Expecting Willis to start at MLB for us strikes me as the D equivalent of drafting a player who is physically gifted like JP is and expecting him to start immediately. My sense is that if we expect Willis to start at MLB he will learn and probably quickly, but we will have to live through a few performances like JPs in his first game at NE. Willis is a good player but if he starts at MLB in our cover 2 it likely will be vert ugly at first even though eventually it will work out.