Norv Turner the new Chargers HC

Buftex

Fox Sports Radio is reporitng that Norv Turner is the new headcoach of the San Diego Chargers...Ted Cottrell is their new defensive co-ordiantor.

Wow...to thinks, AJ Smith had Wade Phillips, his personal choice to replace Marty right under his nose...and then he has to settle for Norv Turner. Say what you will about Wade, but I would take him as my HC in a heartbeat over Norv Turner...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox Sports Radio is reporitng that Norv Turner is the new headcoach of the San Diego Chargers...Ted Cottrell is their new defensive co-ordiantor.

Wow...to thinks, AJ Smith had Wade Phillips, his personal choice to replace Marty right under his nose...and then he has to settle for Norv Turner. Say what you will about Wade, but I would take him as my HC in a heartbeat over Norv Turner...

Wow is right. Absolutely insane!

I feel great about this because that is one less team to worry about in 2007. I heard Jerry Rice several weeeks ago on an L.A. talk show say that Norv Turner was the worst coach he had EVER played for. He looked like he had lost the Raiders respect before game 1. The Chargers have too much talent to fold but I can't see him coaching his way to the Superbowl in the rugged AFC. Naturally, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If I was a Chargers backer, I would be spending alot of time around the toilet bowl if he is, in fact, named HC.

I feel great about this because that is one less team to worry about in 2007. I heard Jerry Rice several weeeks ago on an L.A. talk show say that Norv Turner was the worst coach he had EVER played for. He looked like he had lost the Raiders respect before game 1. The Chargers have too much talent to fold but I can't see him coaching his way to the Superbowl in the rugged AFC. Naturally, I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If I was a Chargers backer, I would be spending alot of time around the toilet bowl if he is, in fact, named HC.

The team is even in worse shape with Cottrell at DC.

He may be able to operate a strong DC like Wade, but he has failed miserably when on his own as DC.

Looks like AJ Smith has a really bad case of Donahoitis and is intent on hiring incompetents to keep in a position of power.

He may be able to operate a strong DC like Wade, but he has failed miserably when on his own as DC.

Looks like AJ Smith has a really bad case of Donahoitis and is intent on hiring incompetents to keep in a position of power.

How can two sources have two different conclusions? According to ESPN, the Chargers are still interviewing, and Mora is in the mix.

I think Ted C is a better D coordinator than you give him credit for. When in Minnesota, he had a very good defense. Would not be surprised to see Clements going to SD to play for Ted.

How can two sources have two different conclusions? According to ESPN, the Chargers are still interviewing, and Mora is in the mix.

I think Ted C is a better D coordinator than you give him credit for. When in Minnesota, he had a very good defense. Would not be surprised to see Clements going to SD to play for Ted.

hard to understand why he was fired from Vikings if his defense was so good.

He did a real fine job in NY as well :rolleyes:

I couldn't stand Cottrell's defenses when we was here. We were ranked very high, but played so damn safe. When we did take chances, those defenses sometimes dominated games. He just never had the guts enough to take more chances.

Also, my best friend from high school was a Jets fan ,and my uncle a Vikings fan, and both of them couldn't stand Cottrell's passive style of defense either. I remember them both bitching about Fat Teddy. From all I know he's a good man, so I hope he has success to a point in SD, but over-rated, very over-rated, he is.

AJ Smith had Wade Phillips, his personal choice to replace Marty right under his nose...and then he has to settle for Norv Turner. Say what you will about Wade, but I would take him as my HC in a heartbeat over Norv Turner...

I bet by mid-season Wade'll be wish'n he was the SD head coach as well...

I bet by mid-season Wade'll be wish'n he was the SD head coach as well...

No kidding! I just can't believe the Chargers, with possibly the best all-around talent in the NFL, are going to leave their fate in the hands of Norv Turner. I know he is supposed to be a good OC (I am not disputing that), but he is the very defiinition of the failed re-tread, and has never coached a team to a significant victory. I know you can't blame it all on him, working for Snyder and Davis are not ideal situations, but, jeez. The guy looked like he was in way over his head, coaching the Raiders, it was obvious his team had little respect for him. If he thought the Raiders were filled with low character guys, the Chargers are not a lot better... Snyder really was more than patient with Norv as well.

It will be very entertaining to watch SD next year.

It's conceivable they could miss the playoffs. :rolleyes:

They were very bad for a long time.

That and the benevolence of theManning family helped them stockpile a ton of talent.

But the ProBowl is full of talent and that doesn't necessarily make for good football either.

Lots of love from the fans on the Chargers.com board...

"Congratulations Dean and AJ.....for making the worst decision possible for our head coach.

For all you Marty haters, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til good ol' Norv gets under your skin.....it's gonna be a long year."

"Please tell me it's April fool's day?"

"great upgrade. I'm now convinced that the team is run by morons."

"What in the HELL do AJ and Dean see in Norv Turner that we don't???????"

"Excuse me whilie I go vomit."

"Congratulations Dean and AJ.....for making the worst decision possible for our head coach.

For all you Marty haters, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait til good ol' Norv gets under your skin.....it's gonna be a long year."

And the Cowboys hired Wade over Norv. What a clusterfu_ _.

kinda looks like this board after any given Bills news.

It always amazes me how a head coach's tenure with a team can be summarized by experts here within 10 seconds and 7 months before the coach's debut with that team.

Simply amazing :lol:

Normally I would agree, but Norv has earned it.