United States One Dollar Coin rolled out Today...

millbank

Not all of them. I remember there being signs on only some of the vending machines around campus that they supported $1 coins. Why would I carry $1 coins instead of bills when I can't use them at all the vending machines I want to?

Yeah, but how long ago was that? I'm sure every new machine since then could accept the dollar coins.

When Canada rolled out the loonies and toonies - they stopped printing paper money

That's what it would take. The new US dollar coins - like its predecessors, are profitable for the U.S. Mint...and Government. The Federal Reserve Banks - and all other banks that they serve - must accept them. And pay their other, monetarily equivelent funds back to the Federal government once they take that forced possession. :P Unlike the IRS, the Mint doesn't give one a sporting chance...

Serious implementation of a dollar coin in the USA would one, require the elimination of the paper buck as you note, and two, make it the size of former half-dollar coins so it feels different in the pocket and hand of the people.

Not all of them. I remember there being signs on only some of the vending machines around campus that they supported $1 coins. Why would I carry $1 coins instead of bills when I can't use them at all the vending machines I want to?

One of the quickest ways to force adoption of this standard would be to simply remove the ability to pay with bills.

I remember the San Diego trolly ticket machines and buses taking the $1 coin.

When Canada rolled out the loonies and toonies - they stopped printing paper money

I worked in Ontario a lot then - and no one seemed to bent out of shape from the transition

Yeah, but they're Canadians, they also bit on the whole metric system thing too, but not Americans, screw that, stupid easy to figure multiples of ten.

The part that really chapped my buttocks was the time I went into the Post Office after the clerk was gone to get stamps, and came out with a pocket full of those things. I always hate visiting Canada and walking around with a pocket full of change.

How the hell do you use a dollar coin at a strip club?

You simply place the coin in betwen your teeth, turn your head sideways and then she has to squeeze titties together and remove it from your mour mouth with said titties. I could get used to that.

Know what would give me a real boner...

If they made Canadian change work in friggin soda machines here in the states. Since every time im in Buffalo shop clerks try and pawn it off on me...

Canadian quarters work in the news paper machines down here in NC. I use them all the time.

Canadian quarters work in the news paper machines down here in NC. I use them all the time.

In Minnesota, most places used to treat a Canadian quarter the same as an American quarter (not sure if they still do). So when I was a poor college student and I'd go home (Niagara Falls, NY) to visit family, I used to be sure to get a roll or two of Canadian quarters to help pay for parking. Dishonest? I didn't think so, since the parking attendants were fine with treating them as US currency. <_<